Three Makes A Pattern

• hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      So, I completely failed at my previous two goals. So with the limited bankroll I have, I've decided to try it again. If I fail here, I'll know...

...I'm a failure!

:f_biggrin:

I know that my biggest issues are...

1) Tilt control (when running good and running bad)

2) Trying to do too many things (clear bonuses, promotions, playing many different types of games etc etc)

3) Trying to "make things happen" during play

4) Not reviewing enough hands

So, I've got a BR of about $100 split between two sites. I'm going to play the lowest stakes at those sites for 50,000 hands combined. My goal is to be a winning player after those 50,000 hands. I'd like to be somewhere between 2-4 BB per 100 hands. I have rakeback for both sites. I use an HUD. I will not play MTTs or SNGs, just cash games. No Rush! Just ring games...
  • 32 replies
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      16.75 BB / 100 hands

I'm doing pretty good so far. Again, my problem is consistency. I really like to run for endurance so I have started to get my mindset into THAT mode before I play. If I feel like I'm running for distance, my mind is more even. I hope that makes sense.

I play on two sites. One is a non-PS site (Aced) but I haven't played much there because their minimum stakes are 2/4. I like their software so I play there occasionally. The other site is FT and I am playing 1/2.

I noticed something weird after I reviewed the first 500 hands. I noticed that on Aced I was up nicely but on FT I was down an equal $ amount. Now, I know about swings etc but I checked my stats and my VPIP on FT was a full 10 points above Aced. I looked at some hands and it was a tale of two completely different players. On FT, it seemed, I was calling with mediocre hands, playing mediocre hands out of position and chasing draws WAYYYY more than on Aced. I concluded that, because the stakes were lower, I guess I subconsciously did not take it as seriously. So I adjusted and I think I played much better going forward on FT.

Here's a hand where I think I made a good fold. My first instinct was to shove because one is usually in a shoving mood with pocket aces. In your mind you are going broke with this hand...

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $1.54
      CO (Hero):
      $2.23
      BU:
      $3.32
      SB:
      $2.00
      BB:
      $3.30
      MP2:
      $3.05

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, A.
      MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.09, 2 folds, BB calls $0.07, MP3 calls $0.07.

Flop: ($0.28) J, 9, K (3 players)
      BB checks, MP3 checks, Hero bets $0.28, BB raises to $1.12, MP3 folds, Hero folds, BB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.56.

If he is going broke with AK, well, I got played but I think that the message he was sending me was that he didn't give a crap what pocket pair I had, he had a monster. I had to remind myself that in the micros, people rarely bluff. So I folded. :f_cool:

I remember this song... I was 16 at the time it came out... Lots of firsts for me at 16. :f_wink:

• Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      If you have no particular reads or at least stats on your opponent, this is pretty easy stackoff. He might very well have AK/KQ here. If you bump into set or 2 pair - well, shit happens, but you cannot wait for the nuts everytime your opponent shows aggression. Actually reads are very important in these type of situations.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      I think you can actually stack off with that there. He flat calls preflop, so that sort of rules out JJ and KK. A lot of the time people at the micros think TPGK is the nuts, so will play them aggressively, meaning he would probably raise that flop with KQ and AK. This means the only hand you really have to be worried about is 99, maybe KJ and very maybe TQ. As Bliausmas said, reads are very important here. If the stats you have show he's a calling station it's a fold, but if they tell you he's a maniac, easy stack off.
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      I think you are right. During the hand, I saw he was 30-40 VPIP and 20-30 PFR with an aggression factor of 7, but the stat I paid attention to was "bet the flop". He bet the flop almost 70% of the time so I figured he would have donked. So when he check-raised, I figured he had a monster because not betting the flop was out of character.

After reading your posts I went back and looked more closely at the stats. Now I feel like an idiot. I didn't check the "check-raise" stat. It was 100% on the flop!

So, the lesson here is to read, and pay attention to, the most relevant stats!

Thanks for the advice. :f_mad:
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      14.52 BB / 100 hands

I wanted to write an update every 2000-3000 hands but a few interesting things happened during this stretch.

First, here is the graph...

From hand 2001 to roughly 2600, I tried six tabling. I usually 4 table. Now, I understand that the results don't matter, quality of play matters, but in this case the results are appropriate... A steady downward decline. It was too much for me. Even five tables was too much. I wasn't bet sizing the way I wanted to, I missed +EV bluff situations, I overplayed mediocre hands and I did not have the time to examine the HUD stats properly. I realized that I needed that extra couple of seconds that the two extra tables seemed to take from me!

Another thing is that I felt disconnected from what was happening. I do not cascade for that same reason. When I four table tiled, I can still pay attention to every table while playing another. With six tables on FT, they overlap so I miss some of the little things, and big things, that are happening at the tables I'm not playing. I'm not a HUD expert by any means so I felt like I was playing blind. So I went back to 4 tables and I think I will stick to that.

My latest session was roughly hand 2850 to now, hand 3098. This was a good session because I managed to resist tilt, stick to my A game, and go from being 2 BI down to being up a little bit. Within the first 25 hands, I was down 2 BI due to my pocket aces losing to pocket kings on the river and my pocket jacks running up against pocket kings on a dry board. I felt I was playing well, however, and that these things happen. So I kept playing my A game... I did not tighten up or loosen up. I am happy not so much because I made the money back, but because I felt I played really well and didn't beat myself.

My stats on both sites are almost exactly the same.

I am happy with my play overall so far.

Yes, Otis Redding was an incredible singer, but his band was awesome too...

• hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      8.58 BB / 100 hands

My biggest problem is tilt control. I think I may have finally learned my lesson. And by "learned my lesson" I mean that I think I have developed the confidence to continue playing my A game despite losses. Also, I had the good fortune of having a tilting player hand me approximately 250BB in three hands.

I'll explain, but here is the graph...

Around hand 4000, I started tilting because of an upswing. I was chasing, calling way to much etc etc. So naturally, I opened up more. I knew I was tilting, but I became obsessed with getting back to my graph's peak. In a tilter's mind, since you can lose quickly, you can easily win quickly. It's stupid, but I am emotional by nature and I allowed my feelings of shame because of losing and playing bad guide my actions.

Around hand 5500, I got hit with two bad beats, and then I tilted hard because of a downswing. As you can see, I lost a lot, very quickly. Here is where I made a discovery about the root of my tilt problem...

I tilt because deep down, I do not have confidence in my A game. I do not think I can get better. The "winning poker players club" is not where I belong. I tilt because I deep down, I do not think I have developed, or can develop, any skill at this game. I would venture to say that most people who post about bad beats and lucky fish sending them over the edge, those people, in the depths of their souls, do not have self confidence. I came to this realization during a conversation I had with my wife about why I play poker.

So about hand 6000, I decided that no matter what happened, I was going to stick to my A game for the remainder of the 50,000 hands. If I was going to fail a goal for the third time, I was determined to fail playing my best.

As you can see, I have recovered all my losses, but forget about the results. The important thing I that I played well, despite bumps in the road from hands 6000 to where I am now, 9801. If I had not tilted, I would be over 12BB / 100 hands. Now, I feel confident in my game. And even if I stop feeling confident because of a bad beat or a mistake, if I tell myself that I am confident, then I play like I am confident. If I am to lose, I should lose with my best. This game is all mental.

There is a lot of shame that comes with tilting. No one wants to be tagged as a fish. I got to see first hand how sad a tilter looks about hand 9000. I feel like someone put this guy at my table to warn me...

I had just lost 2 stacks on other tables. I wasn't feeling like I was going to tilt but I wasn't feeling great! Then this happened... I can't use the converter because it is not a PS site... 3 hands in a row...

Hand 1 - I'm on the BB, the BTN limps. The BTN has a huge stack (250-300 BB). I have 95o. The flop is 9 5 8 rainbow. He checks. I bet the pot. He raises all in. I figure he either has trip 5s or a draw because trip 9s or 8s would have raised preflop. Also, I don't think he has trip 5s because I have a blocker. So I call. He has K9o. I win a stack. He still has a bit more than me in his stack.

Hand 2 - I have AQs. He shoves preflop. I figure he is tilting. I think about it a long time. I call. He has A7o. He loses another stack.

Hand 3 - He shoves again pre flop. I have A8o so I call. He has 83o. I take the rest of his stack.

I remember feeling good that I got so lucky but bad because the guy looked so pathetic. Who know how long it took him to build that stack and then he pissed it away out of anger and bad play. That guy could easily have been me.

I don't ever want to look that pathetic again.

These guys make the McCartney song their own.

• hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      3.01 BB / 100 hands

I'm up....

Then down....

From hands 9800 - 11300, you can see I had a very nice spike, peaking out at 1480 BB. I guess it was inevitable that a downswing would occur. This downswing, however, is not so much tilt and bad play as it is simple "variance", I think. During my upswing, I would catch some outs at crucial times. Now, it seems my opponents are catching the cards. That, + a few set over sets + KK vs AA + QQ vs KK + horrible misreads on my part = an approximately 11 BI downswing.

I don't feel so great right now. The last three sessions have been brutal. Today's was the worst of all. On top of it, I did not play well consistently today. I think I could have lost a little less cash today if I would have thought about some hands for a second longer and maybe pressed the fold button once or twice. It could have been a lot worse, however, if I tilted like I did before.

There's always tomorrow. The important thing is to focus on one hand at a time... And forget about the losses. I think forgetting about a bad session is the most difficult thing to do.
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      7.30 BB / 100 hands

A nice little recovery over the last couple of days...

While the results are nice, again, I think I played well.

I am most happy with my session today. I made almost 3 BI today in 400 hands. I am not happy with the money necessarily. I am most happy with the way I played. I made a profit at all 4 tables I played. I never lost a hand that cost me more than 25% of my stack. I also spent a while actually selecting the right tables. I think that made all the difference.

Also, I never hit a huge pot. I made my 3 BI by winning mostly small and medium sized pots and using the HUD data to effectively bet for value and induce folds. I also made some good folds, I think, so I wasn't stuck money and playing from behind. Here's one...

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $0.98
      MP3:
      $1.71
      CO:
      $3.80
      BU:
      $1.37
      SB (Hero):
      $2.74
      BB:
      $1.89

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q, Q.
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.08, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.26, BB folds, MP3 calls $0.18.

Flop: ($0.54) 8, K, 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.35, MP3 raises to $1.45(All-In), Hero folds, MP3 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.89.

This guy was a 50 VPIP and 40 PFR... Of course I wanted to call, but he called my 3 bet preflop. A king on the board is horrible for my hand. I had a sense that perhaps it was a desperation shove from a maniac. I didn't want to pay to find out here in this spot against a guy I didn't have much info on aside from some early HUD stats. When all was said and done I felt I was beat so I folded.

Interestingly, I watched him build his stack by doing this to others. He, however, pushed his luck too often. I ended up nailing him for a couple of medium pots and then another guy called a desperation shove to clean him out. In the long run, I think folding that hand was +EV. In the end, I took more money from him than he took from me and I have some good info for next time.

My all time favorite song... A masterpiece...

• hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      -0.61 BB / 100 hands

Well... At least it can't get any worse.

Q - How many hackbinders does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A - This is a trick question because hackbinder cannot screw in a light bulb. When he screws it in with one hand, the other one unscrews it.

Q - Why doesn't hackbinder stop unscrewing it?

A - That is a good question.
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      0.26 BB / 100 hands

Well, I finally got my head above water. With just over 20K hands to go, I am determined to not come out a loser for a third time.

I will show you three graphs... Here is the overall...

Here, however, is Full Tilt...

And here, however however, is Aced/Merge...

Here are the stats...

As you can see, either the jump from 1/2 to 2/4 is HUGE, or the players at Aced / Merge really have my number, or...

[ ] - rigged
      [ ] - I'm a luckbox
      [X] - all of the above

:f_p:

Also, you can see that I have played more on Aced than FT because I simply could not accept that the difference was that bad. So after losing a lot more money, I've decided that for the remainder of my goal, a little over 20K hands, I will not play on Aced but just FT.

I know it doesn't seem like a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but to me it is very important that I reach this goal.
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      0.07 BB / 100 hands

The graph...

So according to the graph, I'm treading water but that is NOT the whole story...

My last two sessions...

1) 1016 hands, lost 42 cents
      2) 1425 hands, lost $1.11

The real story for me is that these last two sessions were real turning points, I think, in my development as a player. In both those sessions, I encountered one of the worst strings of bad beats in recent memory.... You know, the kinds of bad beats where you think, "What's the most comical way for me to lose?" And then it happens...

Both sessions, within the first 250-350 hands I was down 4 BI. Tilt control is my biggest weakness. These two sessions were excellent tests. I did not stop even though it would have made sense. I grinded on because I felt I wasn't playing badly, I wasn't making too many mistakes and I am determined to achieve my goal. I continued playing my game and managed to end both sessions with only the minor losses you see above.

This was huge for me. If this had happened six months ago I guarantee I would have tilted away wayyyy more and I probably would have had to quit my goal because I would have sunk myself too deep. I gotta say, though, it was really hard to play clear minded. I have gained a lot of confidence over the last two days.

Also, I am now 6 tabling very comfortably.

:f_cool:

Kick ass song!

• onepark
      onepark
      Bronze
      Hey Hacks,

Welcome back.

Yea you are right i believe tilt control is most important from my point of view. And its hardest thing to do.

Also remember to study and play at least 50:50.

Good luck mate
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      Also remember to study and play at least 50:50. Good luck mate

Thanks for the encouragement dude... I think at some point I may try to find some material about how good players review their histories and stats. I love to do it, but I feel that maybe I don't really understand what I'm looking at sometimes!

I'm also thinking that perhaps in the future, after I have a reasonable handle on tilt, I may want to play 50K and send them to a coach for review. There is no point if the "hackbinder tilt factor" is staining my HH.

Anywayz...

I feel I have improved a bit during the last few sessions. What I'm really figuring out is what kind of player I want to be. What is my strategy for winning? I must admit I really didn't have an overarching philosophy before, no focus. I have begun playing 9 tables and during the time when I was getting comfortable, I felt that I was playing directionless. I don't know if I am making myself understood...

I guess what I mean is that only now am I figuring out what kind of player I want "hackbinder" to be... "hackbinder" cannot do it all. Much like the latest Argentinian World Cup team, without a overarching system there can be no real long term success. Sure, there can be flourishes here and there but I always had the feeling (both with that team and my poker play) that things overall were not working. It was a hodge-podge, a mess...

Lately, I feel both more confidant as a multitabling online poker player and like I am figuring out who "hackbinder" is and how to best use my game and put it into the best possible position for "hackbinder" to be successful.

0.88 BB / 100 hands

Here is the graph...

I figured out why it was so hard for me to play more than 4 tables in the past... It wasn't necessarily what I wrote before in a previous post (overlap kept me from keeping track of what was going on). Actually, it was visual distractions. I had hit a stretch where I made very foolish calls or 3 bets because I did not see that I was in a multiway pot, I thought I was heads up. The reason for this is that my table view was so crowded that I missed key information like that...

So I removed avatars and made the background plain brown and HOLY CRAP what a difference. It took me very little time to get used to six, then nine tables. Since I started playing nine tables, I am having way more fun, and I noticed that my rakeback was bigger!

With 15K to go, I am liking where I'm at.

Even though its a studio recording, it sounds live.

• hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      My first ROYAL FLUSH!

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (4 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $0.46
      BB (Hero):
      $2.72
      MP3:
      $3.36
      CO:
      $4.48
      BU:
      $0.00

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, K.
      2 folds, SB calls $0.01, Hero raises to $0.06, SB calls $0.04.

Flop: ($0.12) A, Q, 5 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.03, SB raises to $0.40(All-In), Hero calls $0.37.

Turn: ($0.92) T (2 players)

River: ($0.92) 7 (2 players)

Final Pot: $0.92.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a royal flush(J K).
      SB shows a pair of aces(6 A).

Hero wins with a royal flush(J K).
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      Going into this goal, the one issue I wanted to tackle was tilt because I felt that was the one major hurdle that stood between me and improving. Tilt has wiped out so many nice plays or lucky catches that really I deserved to be a losing player.

Forcing myself to try to play my best for 50,000 hands has truly taught me a few things. Now, I already knew these things, but I never REALLY knew them because forcing myself through these 50,000 hands trying to play my A game NO MATTER WHAT has led me to see and experience things that have, in turn, I think caused me to truly learn them.

1) Through any good stretch of hands, there will be times when I will not be able to win a crucial hand no matter what I do.

2) When this happens, I need to continue playing my game because letting my emotions dictate my game will lose me more money than the actual downswing.

3) Through any good stretch of hands, there will be times when I make mistakes and STILL win crucial hands through suckouts etc.

4) When this happens, I need to continue playing my game because the reason I am winning IS NOT because I'm sooo good, it is because, sometimes, a few of my mistakes get erased by the variance fairy.

5) During a downswing, when I have the best hand only to have the river doom switched, the variance fairy is erasing a few of THEIR mistakes.

6) What makes people tilt is that they think that they are the only one getting doomswitched. In reality, no one is getting doomswitched. Everyone just gets their mistakes erased from time to time by the variance fairy.

7) All things remaining equal, everyone, over time should have the same number of mistakes erased by the variance fairy. Thus, one cannot count these losses as a personal failure. True losses due to only variance are not REALLY losses. Losses due to making bad plays are TRUE losses.

8) True variance (not bad play) is like the tide. Your boat will be up and down but it will not sink if it is built right. But if you have a leaky boat, one way or another it WILL end up being a home for the fish at the bottom of the ocean.

I think I am beginning to truly conquer tilt.

:spade: :heart: :diamond: :club:
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      So, I've had the worst few sessions ever. I had a couple of winning sessions, but if I look at my graph from the very beginning, I cannot deny the overall trend is DOWN.

I'm at my mom's so I don't have my HEM, but I don't think that would have mattered.

I had the worst session in recent memory. It is so bad that I think I have effectively put my goal out of reach. I will still finish it out (8500 hands or so to go), but it is becoming very clear to me what my problems are...

Me to my wife - "Sweetie, I'm having a horrible session."

My wife to me - "Well, you ARE the worst poker player that computer has ever seen!"

*sweet smile*

My game needs major retooling. I am happy to say, however, that I don't think tilt is going to be such a major problem anymore. Even while I was pissing away $, I think I played my game. I certainly did not make any emotional plays or anything like that. In that sense, I think this goal has been successful. What is patently clear is that my game needs to change.

It's not because of these bad sessions, but because my overall trend is downward now after 41500 hands, a decent sample. Most of these hands have been at 1cent/2cent. It is shameful for me to admit it, but I cannot beat the lowest stakes with my A game. So my A game has to change.

1) My number 1 problem is that I call too many value bets, that includes calling three bets.

2) I do not value bet enough, that includes 3 betting.

3) I underestimate my opponents (I think they are bluffing too much). That causes me to make bad decisions, especially with regard to the two points above.

4) I have not adapted my game to the stakes I am playing. I noticed this overall downward trend a while ago yet I still plugged on without changing, thinking it may work itself out.

5) I think my starting hand raising range needs some work.

After I finish out my 50,000 hands, I think I will do a more thorough assessment not necessarily of my play (I think I have a pretty good idea of what my problems are) but of the most successful players I have in my database.

Well, it may be too early to say but I think that three failed goals makes a pattern... failure!
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      Well, ever since the last post, I have retooled my game and I have been on a major hot streak. I've had 6 straight winning sessions.

I have 250 hands to go for 50,000 and it looks like I may indeed reach my goal! Well, sort of...

I'll explain when I finish.

I am extremely happy right now...

This video was a MAJOR help...

Leakfinder by Yersh
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      Well, what I'm REALLY doing is wrapping it up and talking about the last 5500 hands.

To start off, I consider my goal to have been accomplished.

But first, I have to say that these last few hands are significant because I reworked my game and so they represent my new "A" game because the old one wasn't working. I really did not expect much from these last few hands. In my mind I was just going to try out my new approach and hopefully have some success. I DID NOT expect to actually make a run at accomplishing my goal!

But, that's what happened. Now, I should mention that in my last session, the one that really put me over the hump, I did catch a few cards and variance did swing a bit in my favour. But if I am not feeling bad about bad beats anymore, I will not feel bad about good ones either!

Well, here are the final stats etc...

1) When I began, my BR was $100... Now, it is $145.

2) When I began, I wanted to be a "winning player"... Now, I am 1 BB / 100 hands. I had also said that I hoped for 2-4 BB / 100 hands. But I think that after I explain my point below, you will see why I still think my goal has been accomplished, even though I did not hit the actual number I wanted.

3) Around hand 44000, I was actually DOWN $43. In fact, I have been DOWN money ever since hand 22000. Now, my measure of success is BB / 100 hands but I think it is important to note that now... Now, I am UP 3 cents!
      And really, I made that all up in the last 5500 hands, which is when I settled on my new style and began to play it in earnest.

4) My tilt problem is gone. Really. Not to say it will never come back, but I am dealing with it a zillion times better. In fact, I do not get too emotional anymore. I actually enjoy playing more now that my nerves do not live and die by each hand.

5) When I began, I could not play more than 4 tables effectively. Now, I can 9 table with NO PROBLEMS. Also, I learned that I play better WITHOUT music in the background.

So, to summarize...

My BB / 100 hands is in the green. Excluding rakeback, I am in the green (with the rakeback I have made about half my original roll). I improved as a player by adapting to the specific conditions that my stakes presented me with (I wish I would have done it earlier!). I acquired two new skills: 9 tabling and tilt control. All this means that to me... I ACCOMPLISHED MY GOAL!

Here is the proof...

Overall...

Graph...

My last 5500 hands, AFTER I retooled my game and began to play it in earnest...

So, I am happy because a wise person said that three makes a pattern. I failed two previous poker goals but not the third, therefore, I am not a failure.

:f_love:

Now, what I need to do is ACCOMPLISH two more poker goals so that way I can say that I am being successful.

I am going to think about what that second goal will be. In the mean time, I will enjoy my small victory with Stereolab...

• hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      To prove to myself that my new style of play is indeed a winning style for the stakes I am playing, and to prove to myself that the upswing that came at the end of my last goal that helped me actually accomplish it, to prove all that to myself and to make sure it was no fluke, I've decided to...

...write an exceedingly long sentence about it.

:f_o:

My new goal will be to play the exact same stakes as before for 50,000 hands. This time, however, my goal will be to have improved stats by the end of those hands. How much more improved? That is hard to say. I guess I'd like to see a significant improvement.

1) I need to win at more than 1 BB / 100 hands.

2) I need to end up with a pre-rakeback profit of more than 3 cents.

3) I need to increase my bankroll by more than $45 with rakeback and bonuses included.

Step 2 begins!