This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

SNG bankroll management advice

• yoonsi
      yoonsi
      Bronze
      Hello everyone, hope you're having a great day!

Signed on today to realize that I'm silver. Woo hoo!
      Anyway, I have a question. I hope someone can help me out with some advice. Basically, I've started playing cash games, but I want to move into SNG's. I've never really tried them, and they look like fun. Okay so I have $45 in my bankroll on FTP. (I got the starting capital on cake poker, but MAN is it deserted D: ) The guidelines say I should only play SNGs with a max buy in of 2% of my total bankroll. This means $1 is too high for me to play; but I've also read that it's really hard to play lower SNG stakes than $1, and on FTP all the SNG's below $1 are all turbo etc... and I personally HATE turbo games. I think I should just start at the $1 stakes, but I would love to hear your wisdom on the matter first.

Thanks for checking out my thread, means a lot to me.
      Cheers.
  • 4 replies
    • Poker4Taxi
      Poker4Taxi
      Bronze
      Sorry if this sounds silly, but you can win $5 in cash games to get the stake can you not? Or deposit $5 more (or minimum deposit more)?

I am no expert and dont play SnGs however.
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      I think the $1 games are a good start. If you know something about poker and can play ABC style, your 40 buy-in Bankroll should be enough.

I personally keep a 100 buy-in bankroll management because -100 buy-in downswings can occur when ROI (return on invest) drops to a low %

goodluck in your games.

And the smaller games are beatable just as easy as the $1 games are In my opinion
    • yoonsi
      yoonsi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by yvonnejansen And the smaller games are beatable just as easy as the $1 games are In my opinion

I think, I'll try a few games at lower stakes, just to see how it goes :) that way I can base my decisions at least partially on my own experience.

And to Poker4Taxi:

I did think of that, but I don't have any easy ways to get money online onto my accounts... getting the first $10 on FTP was SUCH a mission, so I'm treating that bankroll like a child... nurturing it... growing it... till its big... big and strong. Strong enough to take down my enemi- ....guess I trailed off.
    • Poker4Taxi
      Poker4Taxi
      Bronze
      Fair enough, I found FT a pain, so I just didnt deposit, and got about 5 of my mates off it (so we could play together) as well, so I saw it as their loss.

Other people's answers sound better anyway :)