Panacea!

• Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      OK, now when I got your attention, let's start the topic :D

I would like to ask what do you guys do when a fortune turns her butt to your face for a long period of time. Of course, there's no panacea for that, but it would be very interesting to hear some opinions about something that works for a particular player.

Before you hit "back" button in your browser because there are tons of topic like this, let me explain my point. I know fortune is a bitch sometimes, you get fucking big dowswings periodically and it's normal, you must stick to your A game at all times and grind the bad luck out and so on... But the tricky part of that is your mental sharpness and self confidence is getting constantly damaged when you suffer one loss after another.

Let's illustrate that with a practical example. I'm grinding NL10 6max Rush at FTP and have ~133k hands played so far in this limit. ~23k hands before I had +25BI of net profit and was like "all right bitches, couple more weeks here and lets go to the NL25". But then a sick downswing started and after ~23k hands I have -7BI of net profit now (never been so deep down in cash games ever). I have been experiencing 15 to 25BI downswings constantly and always took it as a normal part of the game (as it really is), but this is strange because it lasts long. I hit a bad run, I block myself for 3 days and after that I start playing again fresh and sharp, then I hit another bad run, take another break, and so on.. and I did this like 4 times in a row now. And every time I come back prepared to fight and crush some fishes I experience ton of sick coolers (you know, smth like "oh nut flush is very very good.. but does it beat a straight flush?"), then I must admit I overplay some strong hands that I know are beaten, and the tale continues. Another exlusion are being requested :f_biggrin:

So I would like to hear some expert advices about that :s_cool: How do you motivate and prepare yourself to enter these scary jungles again? Of course, obvious answer would be to take a break but break doesn't kick the bad luck out of your day. Another thing that sucks is available exclusively for FTP players - Iron man challenge. I can't take a break for a long time because I don't want my streak of consecutive Iron months to snap. And of course I'm not sure if the very long break would change anything, because I'm always ready to play after 1-3 days off poker.. till I see the downswing continues.

Another thing is even worse - because of long lasting bad period your play and approach to poker changes. I'm not afraid to end up in mental asylum, but the fact that because of the very bad run I can develop some huge leaks in my game makes me feel really bad. Now I'm pretty confident with my A game, but I certainly don't want to make things like "call 3bets with all suited connectors because it's the only way to win during a bad run" my usual play.

So - how do you develop your "emotional stamina" and ability to get back on track?
  • 6 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      change games
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Forgot to mention one thing - moving down the limits wouldn't make much sense since I have solid bankroll even for NL25.
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      Originally posted by Bliausmas
      Forgot to mention one thing - moving down the limits wouldn't make much sense since I have solid bankroll even for NL25.
      go review your play, check out your HEM database and find out spots where you might be leaking money outside of the coolers.

if you can't beat nl10, but have a nl25 roll, you should be playing nl5. it doesnt matter what limit you are rolled for, but what limit you can properly beat. if you have that much of a buffer for nl10, invest in some coaching.
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      You're correct but I believe that more of the problem is in my head than in my technique. When I play my A game and fortune is not trolling (I don't count some bad beats as a bad period by the way) I beat NL10 quite easily. The problem is those good streaks lasts shorter than the bad ones :)
      And I have already beat NL5 so I can't really see a point moving down again. My plan is like this: I move up a limit when I beat the current one. I consider the limit being "beat" when I have made 25BI of net profit strating with NL2, so it's 30BI for NL5, 35BI for NL10 etc. And as far as I know moving down is to protect the rest of your bankroll from wasting. I don't have to worry about that (at least I hope so :f_biggrin: ).
      But that's BRM questions, lets stick to the psychological aspects.
    • StaticMoth
      StaticMoth
      Silver
      Let's illustrate that with a practical example. I'm grinding NL10 6max Rush at FTP and have ~133k hands played so far in this limit. ~23k hands before I had +25BI of net profit and was like "all right bitches, couple more weeks here and lets go to the NL25".
      I didn't finish reading ur post, so pardon me if I completely miss the point of this thread atm, but do I get this str8 that after having played ~110k hands you were up 25BI's ?

That would mean that ur winrate was 2,3bb/100 which is a far cry from crushing the limit, esp@NL10 ...

Imo you need to try & really improve ur game before trying to climb up coz if you can't solidly crush NL10, you're gonna have a real unhappy time @ "upstairs" no matter how good or bad u run.

I consider the limit being "beat" when I have made 25BI of net profit
      Yes, this is the problem - that's not the proper way to judge whether u're beating the limit or not ... ;)
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Well I don't want make you upset, but yes, you completely missed my point :) I was talking about psychological problems, not whining that I can't beat NL10. I am sure I can if I keep my mind in the good and correct condition at all times. I'm totally fine with my A game, but the problem is that it appears I'm unable to use it often enough because of bad mind condition.
      Btw I feel really stupidly repeating that over and over again. Just write only "tl;dr" next time, I'll understand :)