[NL2-NL10] Trapped

• Iolar
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      BU (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BU with 8, A.
      2 folds, MP2 calls $0.02, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.02, Hero calls $0.02, SB calls $0.01, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.1) Q, 2, 5 (5 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, MP2 bets $0.06, CO folds, Hero calls $0.06, SB calls $0.06, BB folds.

Turn: ($0.28) K (3 players)
      SB checks, MP2 bets $0.09, Hero raises to $0.32, SB calls $0.32, MP2 folds.

River: ($1.01) 5 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.32, Hero raises to $1.44, SB raises to $2.31, Hero calls $0.87.

Final Pot: $5.63.

Until recently I've played mainly limit poker. So far my nl experience has been a bit up and down.

I particularly seem to find it easy to get trapped by slowplay as in the example above.

When villain bet the river, I considered pocket Qs or Ks for about a second but he'd been so passive, and also thought of K5s, but couldn't quite believe it. I decided he had A5, raised and snap called his shove. He had pocket Qs

Considering his passiveness I had thought I played the hand ok, but now think the shove was obvious. Your thoughts please?

Also, thought for future play in similar spots would be appreciated as I seen him play trip Ks almost exactly the same a few hands later.
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello Iolar,

And of course good to see you find another poker variant to play. No Limit really rocks. :) Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future to make you to play any limits well. And of course earn good winrate and move up the limits.

About the game, I'd say that your raise size on turn is a bit smallish, I'd raise ~$0,55. And as played river card is very bad for us actually, although I see still there being value in our hand sometimes. Also his bet seems to be kinda weak, although as he decides to Bet/Raise it turns the other way. His line is very strong, why didn't he raise the turn when flush arrived when he had the chance? And now decides to raise it on river when the FH out arrives. Therefore I guess it's very close, although for the reason that we are getting way too good odds when he 3bets us that we just can't fold there.

Best regards.