[DONE] Issue:Perfomance:Elephant loads memory up to 1Gb if you switch from updated DB to outdated.

• stanisluv
      stanisluv
      Hi again,

I detect problem with memory usage in very specific stuation. I have few DB in Elephant. One of them contain 70k hands(additional DB) another-250k hands(main BD). When v 0.97 was released I upgrade my current version of Elephant but I forgot to switch from addititonal DB to main DB. What I did? I did following steps:

1) I load Elephant & wait when it finish DB update procedure(Import+Analyze).

2) After that i switch DB.
      At this moment Elephant starts export all hands from main DB & load memory usage up to 1 Gb

When v 0.98 was released I repeat all steps & got the same results:

• 11 replies
    • mrk1988
      mrk1988
      Bronze
      Hey stanisluv,

thanks for the report - as always. I'll forward it to my colleagues.
    • Larres
      Larres
      Bronze
      Hi stanisluv,

switching to an older/outdated database during runtime will start the very same process than starting the elephant with an older/outdated database.

Within the Elephant you have the current memory allocation counter (lower right corner of the status bar) and clicking it will free allocated memory.

But the memory usage is related to the database content. Are there maybe many errorneous files inside this database?

Thx,
      L
    • stanisluv
      stanisluv
      Hi Larres,
      I understand it but:
      1) DB contain only 2-3k errorneous hands. May be more but <10k
      2) It`s impossible to use the current memory allocation counter because DB management window blocks main Elephant window.
    • Larres
      Larres
      Bronze
      Can't you close the DB info window? You should be able to close it by pressing the x
    • stanisluv
      stanisluv
      No, I can`t do it because Elephant hangup when I try to do it. I can kill process Elaphant.exe via Task Manager or wait when Elephnt export all hands & release memory. If you look at the screenshot again you`ll see that Elephnt header & DB info windows shows too different DB in active status. I switched from elephandb2 to elephantdb.
    • stanisluv
      stanisluv
      Hi Larres,

I understood what you mean when talking about errorneous files. I detect this issue but this is another issue because Elephant use 1Gb RAM or more at startup too if DB contain a lot of errorneous files.
      For example:
      Numders of files: about 1500k
      Imported files: 40
      Memory usage at startup: 1Gb

In my situation Elephant use only 300Mb at startup.

PS. I just notify you. ;)
    • Larres
      Larres
      Bronze
      Hi stanisluv,

a database with 1,5 million files = hands?
      That'll push the Elephant and your memory usage to it's limit and all files/hands older than 3 or 4 months should be considered being outdated. I suggest to keep the database small.

But anyway the next Elephnat (v0.99) will come with a slightly improved startup sequence. Please try it out and I'm eager to get your feedback.

Thx,
      L
    • stanisluv
      stanisluv
      Hi Larres,

I mean 1,5=1500 files. Sorry for my mistakes. Of course this is now matter now becaus if you:

Originally posted by Larres
      adding maintenace tasks like Vaccum and Reindex to Elephant's automated update import.
      then this fix this problen too. :D

Best regards
      Stanislav.
    • Larres
      Larres
      Bronze
      Ok then I close this issue here.

Cheers,
      L
    • stanisluv
      stanisluv
      Hi there.
      Now I`m sure that this is export issue only. :( Vacuum & Reindex can`t fix this issue.
    • Larres
      Larres
      Bronze
      Hello there,

that's correct. We're going to address this reimport memory issue with the next build (v0.100) by splitting it up internally to reduce the memory usage for big sized reimports.

Cheers,
      L