downswing is the only name for this

• helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      I had 1600 at my peak, now i have 1006. I feel like im playing the perfect game, had it reviewed a while ago, and still i keep losing and losing and losing and losing. I lose every coinflip, except when it doesn't really matter, I get outdrawn by 2outers on the river, etc. I'm not at all on tilt, but still, i keep losing, icm raising AT from the button all in, and he has kings, calling kings behind, he has a2, and hits his ace. The opponents are extremely donkeys, and still I can't win. If there is any experienced s&g (icm) player who is willing to review my play? It's mostly about icm, as I play turbo's. My stats on stars are:

Username xxxxxx
      Games played 166
      Av profit -1$
      Av stake 7$
      avg roi 3%
      total profit -275

The avg stake is low, because i play horse 1.5+ .25 once in a while, to keep me sharp, and some mtt s&g's.
  • 16 replies
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Well, S&G`s are pretty much swingy, as far as I know, especially turbos... So maybe try to switch to normal ones for a while...
      I know it feels bad, just recently recovered from -1000$ downswing myself... but I guess you have to deal with it, otherwise poker is not your game...

By the way, I was watching NL 50$ SH video made by russian PS coach. He moved from S&G to NL cash, because he had hard time dealing with variance... He was talking about -50 buy-ins streak or smthing... on higher limits of course :)

I laso read somewhere, that you can not really judge your results untill you played at least 3-5k tourneys..
    • mchaggis
      mchaggis
      Bronze
      SnGs are brutal. I tried to play them seriously several times but always ran back to NL cash games cause it only took me a few sessions to take away the week's winnings. I guess the start is the hardest, when you've played thousands SnG's it works just fine.
    • sw0ldo
      sw0ldo
      Bronze
      lots of variance ive just recovered from a 200$ DS which was about 1/3 of my bankroll
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      ok, ty guys, 999 now, ill keep playing. It should be even better ev-wise for me, as I win 70% of HU sessions. Let's just hope for an upswing soon. I play s&g's because I think that is the best way for me to reach my ultimate goal, which is: have an avg. hourly winrate of 30$ an hour. As soon as I reach that I won't care about downswings anymore, because I won't move up once I've reached that.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      can someone review helem?

i'm the only one who has so far. i think i play a near perfect game and helem does 100% exactly what i do... so you'll effectively be reviewing 2 at once; ty :) .
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Ye sngs are really swingy, some guy on 2+2 had a breakeven stretch of 2k+ sngs even. Maybe play like 1/2 less sngs at a time and think a bit deeper when you play a hand.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Originally posted by helemaalnicks
      ok, ty guys, 999 now, ill keep playing. It should be even better ev-wise for me, as I win 70% of HU sessions. Let's just hope for an upswing soon. I play s&g's because I think that is the best way for me to reach my ultimate goal, which is: have an avg. hourly winrate of 30$ an hour. As soon as I reach that I won't care about downswings anymore, because I won't move up once I've reached that.

30$ is not that ultimate goal... if I were you I would make sure:

1) I can play at least 10 SnGs simultainiously on good level
      2) are able to get 90% correct in ICM trainer after 500 hands every day
      3) know sng wizard better thant ist creator)
      4) get an adequate rakeback

I guess those 4 points are the shortest way to your goal
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      1) I can play at least 10 SnGs simultainiously on good level

Yes, but I play 4 now, I'll move to ten when I have a bigger BR, and when I'm better.

2) are able to get 90% correct in ICM trainer after 500 hands every day

That's not my goal at all, my goal is to be able to get 500 hands 100% correct everyday (not 99%), reaching 90 is easy.

What is sng wizard?

4) get an adequate rakeback

That's the next step, once I actually make money.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze

What is sng wizard?
      I am not sure if i can advertise it here, but it was even mentioned in PS Sng articles... It is a software to analyze your ICM decisions... you can import tournaments you played and it will highlight mistakes... There is also a trainer (3 levels), which is way more comple than ICM trainer... I use it to determine push ranges against different opponents when i play NL cash with 10BB. You can use it for 1 month for free, otherwise it costs 100$

I also advise you to check AHK scripts... I am playing 6max SnG's on party from time to time and using PartySnGhelper script - once you tried this one, playing SnG will be like a dream) I am sure there is something like this for Stars...
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      I also advise you to check AHK scripts...

What does it do? I can't find it...

I'll do 1000 icmtrainer hands a day now, and I want to know the perfect pushing range for every position/every stack.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      I'll do 1000 icmtrainer hands a day now, and I want to know the perfect pushing range for every position/every stack.
      It is a good idea imo. besides, doesn`t take that long... with the time your speed processing and cognitive will increase. Very usefull for multitabling.
      Just maybe split in two study sessions for better effectivness.

write your e-mail, I`ll send you a link.
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      plz tell me when you got it, dont want my email in a forum permanently:
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      done
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      ah ty, that isn't helpful now, as I only play 4 tables, but it will be helpful for the future, when I get closer to my goal. TYVM.

Over the last 4 games I won two 2nd and one 3rd place, let's hope it continues...

it did, won more then 120$ today, very nice.

another second place over breakeven, brings me to 1169, very nice, more then 170$ profit today. Phiew...

200 now... man, poker is cruel. I'm on top of my game now.
    • whipflip15
      whipflip15
      Bronze
      I got to $1300 playing 350 $11 then i had a 40BI downswing and switched to NL 25 SH and back to $1400
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze

this is what a 30 Bi downswing looks like :(