Raise my blind and feel the power of my frying pan (a housewife's approach to poker)

• MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      After lenghtly considerations, I have finally decided to start my blog.

I am not a good writer, and you will have to excuse my english (litterally, I am Argentinian, I usually swear in spanish). Also, I won't be able to update it very often.

I used to be a Physicist. I moved to Switzerland almost 11 years ago to do research in my field. After meeting husband/marriying/having first child, we decided to move to the UK (where he is from). I was then pregnant with my daughter, and my son was 8 months old. Being a parent willing to do research in the UK is far from trivial. I suppose we could have moved to some other place (we are near London where life it is very expensive), but I wasn't sure I wanted to keep going down the research path...

So one day, after the children started nursery (yay!) I decided poker seemed a good idea, and there I went.
      I have been playing for about 3 years, sngs, mtts and cash games. I decided to stick with cash games as for some reason even when doing well with tournaments I couldn't do well with cash games (I like challenges).

Now I wouldn't change them for anything. (edit: Now I would. I am playing sngs edit2: now I am back to cash games)

I find tournaments so frustrating!!! (edit: I still do, but learning to get over that now)

I play 2-4 tables. I tried to play 4+, and obviously it is not for me. I have been trying more than 4 tables for the last few months, and

1. My return is so much worse than when I play 2-4.
      2. I find it boring, boring, and even more boring.
      3. I just don't get it - it does not make me happy. If I am going to earn few cents a day, I rather do it while enjoying what I do (-> pay seems to be inversely proportional to emotional reward).

(edit: Now I play 8 :P I think I would probably go down to 4 again when I start going up stakes) - And I still believe in enjoying myself.

My game style is...always changing. What doesn't change is my love for MY blinds. You want to get along with me, don't even think about it. A frying pan its harder than it looks.

That said, you will not be trying to get my blinds here, so we are all friends, yay!

I love SH, but I am playing FR (challenges, remember? It is tougher for a loose player to do well at FR than it seems). And stardard NL. I tried Rush, and I didn't like it. For Rush I have the morning taking the children to school in time:
      1. without losing them in the way
      2. Fully dressed
      3. Me fully dressed too
      4. Without leaving the front door wide open
      5. Without forgetting the peculiar requests that the School expects me to remember that day
      6. Keeping sane.

(I give up at number 5)

I love games, in particular poker. I am very much looking forward to discussing oddities of the game and of life with you clever people.

S.
  • 759 replies
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by argentina71
      5. Without forgetting the peculiar requests that the School expects me to remember that day

(I give up at number 5)
      This, I can relate to.
    • MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jbpatzer
      This, I can relate to.
      I think she had enough of this and that (me in a couple of years. Or you, with a cane):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/feb/07/woman-robbers-handbag
    • MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      So, I will start here my collection of poker oddities, in no particular order.
      (Well, I am a housewife after all, I get excited by the most boring things :f_confused: )

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (4 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $2.47
      SB:
      $1.82
      BB (Hero):
      $12.95
      CO:
      $2.00

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8, T.
      CO posts deadblind, CO raises to $0.15, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.10.

Flop: ($0.32) T, A, 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $1.85, Hero calls $1.85.

Turn: ($4.02) 3 (2 players)

River: ($4.02) 9 (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.02.
      Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, tens and eights(8 T).
      CO shows a flush, ace high(K K).

CO wins with a flush, ace high(K K).

Now, where is the weird stuff? Can you spot it???

Here it is:

Hero wins 48.2% of the time, i.e., 1.05:1
      Villain wins 51.8% if the time, i.e., 0.93:1

Because Villain is short stacked, it is straight forward to calculate the real pot odds. Both have Pot odds of 1.17:1 (Hero checks because she knows he is going all in, or at least cbetting and is looking at a check-raise all-in).
      The weird stuff is: BOTH are making a correct decision by going to showdown

So, what happened to the fundamental theorem of Poker?
      Quatum Poker!!!!? :f_eek:

Have a nice flop (I mean, a proper classic one)

S.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi to a fellow momma/housewife :)
      jb we are so gonna take over these young uns... (not)
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by purplefizz
      jb we are so gonna take over these young uns
      FYP
    • MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      Originally posted by purplefizz
      hi to a fellow momma/housewife :)
      Hey! Lovely to see you here :)

(jb, pf: We know of things that they wouldn't know of in their worst nightmares/greatest dreams! :f_biggrin: Phil Ivey, bring it on! I have a pooey nappy ready for you)
    • MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      Mmhhh... There is no plan (in the target kind of way). My view of poker at the moment, after my experience of the las couple of years, is marathonic. I just have to keep running. My biggest effort is maintaining my focus and try not to do any mistakes. The longer I keep without doing mistakes, the better. The shorter the periods where I am systematically making mistakes, the better. The further apart these periods, the better. I cannot force success, but it will eventually happen.

Over the last few months (long few months) I realised that many of my impediments at the poker table where psychological. Madness apart (in that aspect we are all even), I realised that I need a strong mindset to play my best game. It is not easy at all to keep strongly and brillantly focused for long periods, and it is not easy to bring that mindset up.

I have many sloppy days. They used to be sloppy because I had no idea of what was going on. Now the reason for a sloppy day is not playing my best. This can take many forms: a lazy feeling about 3-betting. A scared feeling about re-raising. A low confidence feeling in my reads (which leads to calling to see if I was right->I need to check I still got it). A cheerful feeling of wanting to play any two. A stubborn feeling of not accepting player 'A' (aka the Nit) is getting a great run of cards today. An impatient feeling of wanting success now. Tilt.
      Then I try to re-focus. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I try very hard to remember what success involves as a poker player: Being able to keep playing.

I opended my first account about 3 years ago at PartyPoker. I played the money tables for about 3 months. I used to play the limit tables (I found the NL impossible as they would just go all in with every single hand pre-flop). Once I became a winner of shiny play money, I made my first deposit (I can't remember how much it was, something like $100?). I am very sorry about not having my history of the time: my hard-disk died in May last year and I lost everything. I was such a donkey! I lost almost everything. I think I deposited again something small, like $30. I kept going up and down, until in 2008 I found PokerStrategy and signed up for the starting capital at FTP. After my no-success at partypoker I didn't want to deposit any more money. I did ok at FTP, and then I decided to open an account at PokerStarts. I think I deposited $50 too. Then I deposited $30 at Everest to get Tournament Indicator for free. Then at Cake ($30 again, I can't remember why). Then Cool hand poker (another promotion for something else). I am very proud to say that I made money in all the rooms (all but PP). At the moment I have someting like $700 at PS, $350 at FTP, $100 at everest, and smallish amounts (but always in profit) at the other places which I don't frequent much. They are very humble amounts compared to the young'uns achievements, but I am proud of them :f_biggrin:

Over the last year I have been mainly focused on cash games, mostly FR. After crazy swings, I came to the conclusion that I am not the multitabling type. So I am going to stay with my feet on the ground and play no more than 4 tables at a time.

This is my 5NL graph for PS since May 2010 (guess which parts correspond with my shots at multitabling):

And this is 10NL graph:

(by the way, how do you resize images so the thumbail is not so big? ty)

At the moment I am working at making 10NLlook decent.

Today, however, the achievements of which I am the most proud of are not measured in BB/100s, and hence not so straight forward to share...my biggest one is that I can keep playing, because I won the right to play.

I don't know if I will be moving to the next level. I never find out until the end. I started at NL2. I continued at NL5. Now I am at NL10. Every step it does get a little bit harder, and I need to learn new things while not forgetting what I have already learnt...tough :)

And that was my career introduction. Hopefully I will be discussing some interesting weirdo hands soon (with a happy ending for the hero :f_biggrin: )

Have a flop full of houses,

S.
    • MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      I found this video very funny :f_grin:

It reminds me not only of my beginnings, but also of some days in my present...

S.
    • joecar
      joecar
      Silver
      i usually just resize printscreen in paint
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      If you upload to imageshack you have a resize option after selecting the image file, just above the Upload button.
    • MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      Cheers guys :)
    • MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      My favourite hand: When you flop the nuts without having hit yet. Different representations of this beauty:

When AK > TJ doesn't really work on a no hit flop..

Villain: A, K. :f_p:
      Hero: T, J. :f_cool:

Flop: ($0.12) Q, 9, 5 (2 players)

No way your AK high is good vs my JT in this case: I am getting your money 2.08 times more than I am not.

(hero 67.6%, np 32.4%)

A similar version of the above oddity even involves Villain hitting on the flop. I looooove this one.

Villain: A, J. :f_p:
      Hero: Q, K. :f_cool:

Flop: ($0.12) J, T, 5 (2 players)

Here I am 2:1 a winner.

(hero 66.7%, np 33.3%)

And this one

Villain: A, Q. :f_p:
      Hero: K, J. ( :f_cool: I should've folded. I am such a fish)

Flop: ($0.12) Q, T, 5 (2 players)

Here I am 1.48 : 1 a winner.

(hero 59.7%, np 40.3%) Well, it is true that it is a little bit less of opportunity here, but I am still happy to be on the KJ...

When these plays arise, and I push, I feel so proud of myself at having put my money with the best hand. Like holding KK all in preflop vs AKo (a tiny bit of %s difference). I don't care what the turn/river brings, in the end, like a good magician, odds will work their magic. And just like in a good magic trick, many people seem to get misdirected to the fact that they hit the flop, or that AK > TJ preflop. Oups! The coin was in your pocket :f_biggrin:

S.
      (a happy fish)
    • MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      Microstaker in a downswing, don't forget those trips to the darkside make you stronger. You will make it back, the light is in you. When you are back, you will crush. Everytime you come back you know something else. You are grinding it to the top. You are cultivating your patience. You are working it out. You have it or you don't that's a fallacy.

Don't quit fighting ;) The future is coming on...

• jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Why the change of name?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Why the change of name?
      And how?
    • MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      mmmmhhhh...

...sorry?

:)

No, seriously now: I thought as I haven't yet made a name for myself at the forums it was not too late to request a change. When I signed up back in 2008 I never thought about posting, I did it mostly to be able to read/seach the forums. I didn't like the idea of playing with the same name as I post. I am so shy :f_cry:

It is still me. Don't I look much younger now?
    • MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Why the change of name?
      And how?
      Tell me how to flop a RF and I tell you how I did it :f_biggrin:
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MisClick