I used to be winner, but not now.

• Solongoo
      Solongoo
      Bronze
      I have been playing poker over four years now. I started to play cash games (at local clubs) and after two or three months, I find myself good at the game. Since then, I have been winning almost 75% of the time and overall I had quite profit. I was good until I was introduced to online poker in 2010. I started to play on ftp. After played there for 3 or 4 months, I started to lose at the cash games where I used to win. I still loses now. I do not know what's wrong with me. I believe my playing style, my aggressiveness, everything is same. I can not find my leaks. I am guessing it is probably because of online poker that I am playing now. If anyone has experienced same thing before, please help me to find what is wrong with me. Please.
  • 14 replies
    • LONGPLAY66
      LONGPLAY66
      Bronze
      if you are winning 75 percent of the time in real poker then there is nothing much wrong with your game..in the future there may one day be poker "online" but up until now we have to settle for "online" poker,if you are prepared to carry on with online poker then you need to accept that your main opponent online is the software and not the opponent,play according to this and you will find yourself avoiding heavy losses and you will realise that the main skill in "online" poker is the ability to consistently fold when you are in 60/40 situations and "wait for much better spots" to get your money in.

also,find a better site.
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      Originally posted by LONGPLAY66
      if you are winning 75 percent of the time in real poker then there is nothing much wrong with your game..in the future there may one day be poker "online" but up until now we have to settle for "online" poker,if you are prepared to carry on with online poker then you need to accept that your main opponent online is the software and not the opponent,play according to this and you will find yourself avoiding heavy losses and you will realise that the main skill in "online" poker is the ability to consistently fold when you are in 60/40 situations and "wait for much better spots" to get your money in.

also,find a better site.
      lol
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      @OP, so now you lose at real life cash games? or you lose online? or you lose at both?
    • joecar
      joecar
      Silver
      what's your live and online limit
    • Solongoo
      Solongoo
      Bronze
      Yes, I am losing badly at real life cash games. I did not invest much in online poker and only played micro games. So I can't tell I am losing or winning in online games. I am wondering playing online games may have affected my play in real life cash games. If so, how or why?

I started the cash games at 0.1/0.2$ and moved up to 2/4$ games. I built quite good bankroll few months ago and now almost finished it.
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      Originally posted by LONGPLAY66

also,find a better site.
      you are a hero
    • LONGPLAY66
      LONGPLAY66
      Bronze
      "I am wondering playing online games may have affected my play in real life cash games. If so, how or why?"

for sure that may have happened....after playing online you are now consistently seeing "monsters under the bed" during hands when you return to live poker....they are completely different entities(entitys :evil: )
    • Sanseng
      Sanseng
      Bronze
      Online and real-life games are completely different beasts - I don't think you can play the two in the same way (as you claim you are doing). Online, you're playing a faster anonymous game with no 'real' visual indicators of your opponents, which makes a world of difference to your play, and makes a world of difference to how your opponents play. You have to adapt your strategy depending on the 'venue'.
    • SneakyhanD
      SneakyhanD
      Bronze
      You mentioned you made it from NL20 to NL200, and that u only played micro stakes online.

Do you realize that even if u were playing NL200 online, it wouldn't be the same as the micros ? so, keep playing in live the way you used to play live games, and for online, read articles/strategies and so on ( according to your limit ).

Be well .
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Yeah, I am experiencing pretty much the same now. In my case it's bad luck + bad psychology. Moments like this sometimes happen when life turns the bitchy side to you and you fail at everything you do, not only on poker. The solution to that would be just to grind trough that, I guess...
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      I started the cash games at 0.1/0.2$ and moved up to 2/4$ games. I built quite good bankroll few months ago and now almost finished it.

If you followed decent brm and played up to NL400 then that's pretty impressive. However something tells me you didn't or you wouldn't be almost busted.

And NL200 live and NL200 online is a world of difference.. Online is much tougher in general so you definetly shouldn't be playing even higher then you are live..
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Solongoo
      Yes, I am losing badly at real life cash games. I did not invest much in online poker and only played micro games. So I can't tell I am losing or winning in online games. I am wondering playing online games may have affected my play in real life cash games. If so, how or why?

HerE's the truth OP, it's going to hurt so be ready :

You were most likely lucky when you played real life. You see, maybe real life you can play 100 hands in one night..which is so tiny compared to what you can play online.

Online shows the true skills of a player because like any stats problems, the more you have a sample, the more accurate your winnings are. Therefore, if you are a loser online over 10000 hands it's most likely that if you kept playing in real life you will be a loser too, which happened. (100 nights x 100 hands = losing overall) (100 hands x 2 nights real life = could be a winner) (1 night of online poker = 100 nights of real life poker. = loser overall)

Now don'T give up, it's true that people online are way better than live too, just study articles, watch videos, try to find your leaks and most of all remember to adapt to the new poker.
    • aleXXa19
      aleXXa19
      Bronze
      if you know mathematics in poker you have good chances in offline too but the problem is, as the others already said, you play max 250 hands in one night and that means that your ROI of this night depends on the cards luck.....

online you can make this amount of hands in half an hour...

(offline the players are looser which also means that tells etc. could help a lot, probably you are now to intelligent for some offline fishes...)
    • jchnnn
      jchnnn
      Bronze
      u didn't really state whether u were losing both in live and online games or only in online games therefore it's somewhat hard to draw a conclusion.

IF you are losing online and still win live it's probably due to the fact that the games are THAT different and you are (as u have a live playing background) are used to these games which is somehow quite obvious.

IF your losing live as well as online now playing online has probably influenced your betting frequencies.

You should try to for example observe your betting fequencies u might end up realizing that u have changed ur value betting/bluff betting frequencies.

BTW: there's more to it than you guys just pointed out he MIGHT be losing in live games longterm due to his leaks BUT thinks aren't always in such a manichaeistic manner. He might be winning in live games because hes simply better than the other players in live games and might lose in online games because hes just not as good.

-> edge in live games
      -> no edge in online games