Finance my studies through....poker!

• danieloff
      danieloff
      Bronze
      Hi my name is Daniel and I want to start a project and would appreciate all your help and advice for it.
      I will start my masters studies in fall and will receive no more funding for it.

Thats my basis:

- I read most of the SSS, BSS articles and watched a couple of videos
      - I used the elephant on a regular basis (now I have to wait for gold status)
      - tryouts showed me that, for now, cash-games are most profitable for my style of play
      - after downswing :evil: due to rush poker (brings me on tilt) and limits too high for my bankroll (0.25/0.50 HU) I play nl5 atm profitably (b4 nl10)
      - I tend to be better at SH-tables
      - multitabling with max. 4 tables
      - No Limit Hold'em
      - positive experiences made with nl10 and nl25

I have started with a 50$ free BR on FT -->after 1,5 month (including harsh downswing) = 140$
      Onother 25$ BR on PP -->after 1 month = 80$

My plan was too continue playing nl5 until I've reached 200$ and then to move onto nl10

Can you help me to achieve that goal? I think I would need around 400-600$ per month to survive university.....

Is that realistic? ?(
  • 6 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      It depends a lot on the volume you can put in on a monthly basis. Figure that out and then think what winrate you would need at different limits to acheive your goal.

Good luck!
    • danieloff
      danieloff
      Bronze
      I have a winrate of about 8-10BB/100 hands over a sample of roughly 30000 hands according to the elephant....
      when I play nl5 and calculate with the min-value I will have to play 100,000 hands per month to earn 400$ which will be difficult for me

if I it is possible for me to maintain this winrate on nl10 I only would have to play 50,000 hands....
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      I think you can also spot a problem here which is your sample size. You have 30k hands played so far, yet you would require 100k/month. I think beating NL50 with ~30-40k hands/month is what you should aim for to be sure. On NL25 it's also achievable but you need 50k/month at least which is very difficult with 4 tables. Just take one step at a time and see where it takes you.
    • danieloff
      danieloff
      Bronze
      Thank you Emanuel! I was playing nl25 profitably but my BR doesnt allow that yet....

@everyone else:

If I can maintain the current winrate I will be playing nl10 soon!

I will post some hands too and keep you updated about how poker works with my studying alongside... (I have the bad feeling that studying will suffer :D )
    • danieloff
      danieloff
      Bronze
      State of the art after today:

- BR bei FT 145$
      -BR bei PP 85$

It is unbelievable at the lower limits sometimes.... bad beats have to be calculated on a regular basis...... but the players there also go all-in with a 33 preflop :D

bad beats like this one :rolleyes:

0,02/0,04 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Ah, 8s
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0,12, BB raises to $0,40, Hero calls $0,28.

Flop: ($0,80) Ac, Kd, 8c (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $0,76, Hero raises to $1,41 (All-In), BB calls $0,63 (All-In).

Turn: ($3,60) 3s
      River: ($3,60) 9c (2 players)

Final Pot: $3,60

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows two pairs, aces and eights (Ah 8s)
      BB shows two pairs, aces and nines (Ad 9d)

Hero wins with two pairs, aces and eights (Ah 8s)
      BB wins with two pairs, aces and nines (Ad 9d)

Nicely hit 2 pair on the flop..... just that my opponent gets his higher 2nd pair on the river...... hehe

Still a positive day :)
    • danieloff
      danieloff
      Bronze
      Is there anyone out there having achieved to finance his studies via poker?

It would be cool to hear about some experiences.....

BR bei FT 146$
      BR bei PP 95$

maybe I can soon move up one limit.... :]