Omaha 8 cash variants

• Hajler
      Hajler
      Bronze
      Hello all!

I have recently caught the Omaha 8 fever and have been trying to learn the game, and so far I am really liking it. Looking at the lobby on Stars though there are tons of different game types, FL/PL/NL, SH/FR, shallow and cap ect, which has left me confused as to what I should pick.

I tried playing some NLO8 today and it was rather fishy, but there also seemed to be quite a few regs as well. I am not sure how much I liked this variant as I was put in some tough spots rather quickly even though I was mostly just nitting it up. For example several times I got shoved on on the river for 100bb in a small/medium pots while holding the nut low with no high, which sucked a lot and I had no idea what to do.

If anyone with O8 cash experience could give their opinion on which games they think are the best, or explain the main differences between the variants, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks!
  • 3 replies
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      Sure.

Firstly when you have nut low with no highwhatsoever, it's a super easy fold in NL08 when someone shoves on you ;-)

NL08 started to become popular 3 years ago, after people had been playing PLO8 for 8 years on Stars and the holdem players switched over to it, and didn't like the fact that they couldn't shove every street.

Personally I don't like the game as it takes one fundamental skill out of the game, namely being able to build a pot (it also negates position to an extent as you can just shove all in rather than potentially have a tough decision on a future street).

Cap games allow you to bet a maximum of 20 bets on each hand, so typically in a PLO8 game where your preflop raise is to 3 bets; if you bet flop and turn, you will be all in before the river.

What you learn from cap games is the importance of preflop hand selection as there is very little implied odds in the game. It's a great way to learn as you get to see more showdowns between people, so you will learn quicker about the relative hand strengths of each starting hand.

As for starting hands, did you read the 2 strategy articles I wrote (3rd should be up soon!) aimed at starting hands for PLO8?
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/omaha/1843/
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/omaha/1844/

Personally I would start with PLO8, either 20-50 BB tables or CAP, you can play 40-100BB tables as well, but buy in for the minimum and leave if you double up.
      You will learn faster than playing NLO8 and i'm pretty sure your money will last longer as well :f_p:
    • Hajler
      Hajler
      Bronze
      Thanks for the great reply!

I already read your first two articles which were awesome. I am looking forward to the next one!

I have been wanting to try PLO8 but most of the games seem to be NL, with a few FL tables running as well. I haven't been playing at peak hours yet though so I will have to take a look later. What is your opinion on FLO8? I have never played any limit game but with the rake and all it seems like it would be really hard to make a decent profit in comparison to PL/NL.

Anyways I will give short stacking/cap a shot. Thanks again for the advice!
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      Actually I started with FL08 before moving to pot limit.

I agree that's probably a great place to start as you see even more showdowns and it's all about the preflop hand selection.

If you are overly loose in FL08 you just spew money in all directions, but so long as you're playing low enough limits to start with (literally try out the 1c/2c tables) you wont notice it, but you will notice how the people playing absolute crap never win a hand. :)