Why Fold AJo

• Bustedchalk
      Bustedchalk
      Bronze
      Why when I am on the button and only one player has raised all others have folded am I two fold? Is this not a strong hand agents a single bet? Yet if more people would have called I am to call?

I don't know if I am just getting discouraged, I saw a 100 hands and have only been able to play 3 accord to the chart.
  • 11 replies
    • lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      If someone has raised before you, it tends to represent strength, so AJo is ok against any random cards, but against AJs and better, I wouldn't want to try it.

As for playing on 3% of your hands, play a couple of thousand more and I'm sure things will start to even out.
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Who told you to fold AJ when facing one raise preflop, especially when you have position?
    • santostr
      santostr
      Bronze
      probably the starting chart did

It's a good general rule for begginers....
    • scriptacle
      scriptacle
      Bronze
      Well it's normal, Starting hands charts tend to err on the side or caution since beginners are prone to looseness and lack patience and experience to give up hands when facings strength post flop.
    • Bustedchalk
      Bustedchalk
      Bronze
      Yes, I was hoping that a look at some advanced strategy would allow for a little bit more play, but as for now I am sticking to the starting chart to the T, I'm sure it is helping me improve my understanding of what I should do after the flop/turn/river.
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      If you're shorthanded and the raise is from anywhere but UTG AJo should be a snap 3-bet vs almost anyone. Not 3-betting it in that situation is leaving money on the table ESPECIALLY on the button.

If the raise is from UTG vs most players I'd 3-bet anyway but I can see it being more understandable.

In a FR game vs a raise from EP which is most likely to be AJ+ and mid-high PPs then it's fairly sage advice on the whole.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Boomer2k10
      If you're shorthanded and the raise is from anywhere but UTG AJo should be a snap 3-bet vs almost anyone. Not 3-betting it in that situation is leaving money on the table ESPECIALLY on the button.

If the raise is from UTG vs most players I'd 3-bet anyway but I can see it being more understandable.

In a FR game vs a raise from EP which is most likely to be AJ+ and mid-high PPs then it's fairly sage advice on the whole.

this imo.. Although i only play SH. I play really agressive though and i'd ROFL if anyone would fold AJ on the button vs a raise SH.. unless that person has like <10 vpip
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      (null)

posted by accident
    • SanMomo
      SanMomo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by w34z3l
      Originally posted by Boomer2k10

Seems to be pretty bad advice to be giving a new player, especially from a coach. No offense.

While this advice may be ok for certain specific situations it doesn't address the spectrum of various reasons for 3betting.

It's fine as a value raise against a player with a low enough fold to 3bet and a large enough VPIP/PFR, but against a tight player with a high fold to 3bet you may often be either getting folds or isolating yourself against a stronger range.
      This can naturally cause huge problems when you flop a pair, especially when you didn't understand initially whether you were 3betting for FE or for value. And naturally, AJo is a poor hand to 3bet "bluff" with since it has a reasonable amount of value.
      Against one type of player you'd be wanting to 3bet a polarized range (possibly weighted towards bluffs), and against the other type you'd want to 3bet a depolarized value range. Just telling someone AJo is a standard snap 3-bet really helps no-one.

A little information can be dangerous.

anyway, this is just fwiw. I don't actually care.
      Welcome to fixed limit boards.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Oh right sorry, I am a total spazz..

I think I should really remove my post if I can work out how.

Who plays fixed limit anyway? :f_cool:
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Don't worry, there are a lot of posts here by people who have overlooked that this is a discussion of limit strategy.

You normally 3-bet a wider range in limit than NL since the raiser has a wider range, it is not so dangerous to expose yourself to a 4-bet by the original raiser, and you want to deprive the big blind of profitable calls which may hurt you. Don't count on anyone folding to your 3-bet, though, and your hand has to have some value because you will often go to showdown.