Leaning how to Beat SNGs

• BigAl123456
      BigAl123456
      Bronze
      Hey all,

At the moment I'm playing $1 SNGs on FT and I think I'm going allright compaired to how I was going on Party. I think my bigest problem is not Knowing ICM realy well, I am not realy that good at math. I just wanted to know how you geniuses all learnt it.

I use ICM trainer and use the Quiz before I start a session I used to do 50 hands, but I felt I was just pushing butons instead of realy thinking of the hand, I still sorta feel I'm doing that with only 30 hands. I also go through Key hands after my session in the ICM Calculator and I notice spots where I make the mistakes but I feel I dont corect them enough.

At the moment my BR rules allow me to play 2 sets of 2 SNGs and if I win any SNG I add an extra SNG, when my BR reaches $50 (Curently $42 after a 0-4 session) my rules will allow me to play 3 sets of 3 untill my BR reaches $75.

Heres a Graph
      [img][IMG]https://img98.imageshack.us/img98/1910/sharkscopeftgraph.png[/IMG][/img]

Sample size, but Ijust realy want to get better. I'm not happy enough with a 6% ROI. I proberly dont spend as much time study SNG theory as I should compaired to cash games, I was looking on 2+2 but they didnt have anything that compairs to the study you can do in ther Micro Stakes FR fourm, and I'm not realy sure what sort of hands I should post in the SNG forum here.

Thanks,
      Big Al
  • 1 reply
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      After a sample of that size, a 95% confidence interval for your results might be 6% +- 20%, so don't read too much into the results.

It's good that you are working on learning to apply the ICM. When I was starting out, the ICM was discussed by a few theorists (I rediscovered it, for example) and I had to write programs to evaluate the ICM myself. Now, everyone can get programs which help to study the ICM, such as SNG Wizard, ICM Trainer, or my program ICM Explorer. You can also use the Nash equilibrium calculator as HoldemResources.net.

Half of playing SNGs is understanding the risk-aversion, such as from the ICM. The other half is putting your opponents on ranges. Studying the Nash equilibrium is very helpful, but it won't say what your opponents are actually doing. For that, you need some experience, and you can study your database to try to determine how often your raises get called.

When a decision comes up that you think is important where you are unsure what the right play is, or where you think an uncommon play may be correct, try posting the hand and your thoughts and ask others what they think. You probably won't hit that exact same situation again, so try to understand a class of related situations similar to the one which occurred.