MTT Troubles

• scriptacle
      scriptacle
      Bronze
      Yellow everybody,
      So I have this lil tiny whiny problem when playing Holdem NL MTTs.
      First of I mean freerolls. I play a lot of freerolls. Probably the thing I enjoy most. I play a mean big MTT freeroll. The bigger the better usually.

But here's the deal - I keep crashing and burning before the bubble. I'm almost always ahead of the average stack, usually so much ahead I would get in even by sitting out. I've been playing well, stealing and squeezing with an a big stack, cautiously avoiding loose cannons.

Then I get to this moment about 100-200 people before the bubble and I would call a allin from average to big stack and get crippled. And I mean call all in on a good hand but one that I'm always quite sure not the best. I can't help myself for some reason. I'm not really tilting, I haven't been losing hands, I have good discipline in this phase, I give up even strong hands when I get the feeling I'm not the best hand or I can't push out.

Does this happen to anybody else? I really can't seem to figure how to deal with it.

Examples just form today:
      PS Hubble qualifier 9000 people - 72 places qualify - 132th place on one and 315th another with stacks more than 10k-20k over the average after calling stupid allins.

FT 150$ freeroll 7500 people - 45 places paid - finished 78th again with an even bigger stack calling allin from 10th largest stack

BF 50$ added money 1200ish people - 130 places paid - finished 200th+ afther being 3rd biggest stack
  • 6 replies
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Originally posted by scriptacle
      Then I get to this moment about 100-200 people before the bubble and I would call a allin from average to big stack and get crippled. And I mean call all in on a good hand but one that I'm always quite sure not the best. I can't help myself for some reason. I'm not really tilting, I haven't been losing hands, I have good discipline in this phase, I give up even strong hands when I get the feeling I'm not the best hand or I can't push out.
      You pretty much answer your question there... If you mean by "And I mean call all in on a good hand but one that I'm always quite sure not the best" that you still get good enough pot odds then it's ok. But obviously that sound like you can't fold hands, which may look good, but might be crushed by villain range.

In general one has to win few flips to get deep in tourney with big player field. Post these hands you mention about in mtt hand evaluation area and get feedback on your play. Those calls might be ok and just normal variance or maybe you are calling too lose. With this information it's impossible to say :)
    • Tiltberger
      Tiltberger
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ghaleon
      You pretty much answer your question there... If you mean by "And I mean call all in on a good hand but one that I'm always quite sure not the best" that you still get good enough pot odds then it's ok. But obviously that sound like you can't fold hands, which may look good, but might be crushed by villain range.

In general one has to win few flips to get deep in tourney with big player field. Post these hands you mention about in mtt hand evaluation area and get feedback on your play. Those calls might be ok and just normal variance or maybe you are calling too lose. With this information it's impossible to say :)
      just play tight in freerolls... if you have the feeling that you bust out with worse hands than your opponents your def. doing something wrong. wait for good hands and spots -> you get paid off so easily in freerolls!
    • scriptacle
      scriptacle
      Bronze
      Thank you, both :)
      I've sort of moved beyond that problem, and away from freerolls, it's just so much time and effort to play 7-10k tournaments. I've been working pretty hard with ICM, and started playing .55$ 90man MT SnGs on PS. Doing ok so far near 100% ROI in for over 60 tournaments. Now I have to figure out how to avoid AA on the bubble. :P I got to be bubble boy 6 times crashing into AA when I push, just a bit unlucky I think.
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Thank you, both :)
      I've sort of moved beyond that problem, and away from freerolls, it's just so much time and effort to play 7-10k tournaments. I've been working pretty hard with ICM, and started playing .55$ 90man MT SnGs on PS. Doing ok so far near 100% ROI in for over 60 tournaments. Now I have to figure out how to avoid AA on the bubble. :P I got to be bubble boy 6 times crashing into AA when I push, just a bit unlucky I think.
      I find pushing with AA solves that problem :D
    • Jameskerwin
      Jameskerwin
      Bronze
      You moved from freeroles to 55$ buy ins? Fuck me thats a big jump in stakes.lol
    • pavels4444
      pavels4444
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jameskerwin
      You moved from freeroles to 55$ buy ins? Fuck me thats a big jump in stakes.lol
      Lol. In the US and also probably somewhere else (since Pokerstrategy doesnt accept US players) use .55 as 0.55 :)