"Standard play: advanced" - discussion

• cataah

I just read the "standard play: advanced" gold article ( http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/fixed-limit/1164/1/ )

I think about this situation ad I want to discuss it with you:

Hero is BB with 6:s5
      4folds, SB raises, HERO calls

Flop: 2 4 6
      SB bets, HERO ?

Standard play ip is to call F and raise T

Against wich opponents should we play standard here?

I don't like the standard play here because we are vulnerable here and we need protection. So I think we should give up playing standard and raise on the flop. What do you think?
  • 3 replies
    • SanMomo
      We cant really raise flop for protection. Villain will be getting 7:1 so he will call all his overcards and still will see turn.

By calling we give him oportunity to second barrel his uniproved hands and i think he will have to barrel alot because we peel alot on that board. The pot is small and ranges wide so the more bets we can get from his uniproved non-showdownable hands the better.
    • Boomer2k10
      Overall I kind of like the standard play here

What I would say is that there are multiple places where I would break the standard play:

1) Boards where most opponent's play is unblanced on certain boards (i.e. fold too much or range heavily weighted to calling). Examples of this would be extremely dry big/little/little or big/big/little style flops where you have a lot of fold equity, the reverse of which is true on "obvious draw" style boards like 982 twotone.

2) If my opponent has shown exploitable tendencies (i.e. calls down almost any flop raise with weak sd hands but bet/folds the turn a ton). In that case you can alter your play accordingly

3) Where the previous action/read dictates you're going to get more action by putting in bets early. i.e. you're against a maniac or there was massive action pre-flop and you're both likeyl to have hit the board.

4) Boards where we have next to no peeling range (see previous example of dry boards)
    • Dawnfall26

I would also add to raise flop against players who are very likely to check the turn since you will be loosing too much value by letting them do that.