Reverse stop-loss

• bazerk
      bazerk
      Bronze
      Hi guys, something I've been thinking about lately:

I play FL and stick to a strict 35-50 BB stop-loss strategy. Since I'm new to FL (<2 months) I'm only 3 tabling for now.
      In a couple of my last sessions, after around 100-150 hands I was up 30-55 BB. Since I like to play 700-1000 hands per session, I carried on, ending between 8-15 BB up. (not complaining, always happy with a profit)
      So last night I fired up my usual 3 tables, and after around 100 hands, was up 48BB. I stopped for a ciggarete break and contemplated continuing. ( I probably should add I've just come off a 160BB in 1500 hands downswing (not sure if this is a standard downswing) so this may influence my decisions).
      So anyway, 100 hands, 48BB up. I continued playing. At the 150 hand mark, was only 34BB up. So when I reached 200 hands and was back to 45BB up, I stopped.
      It got me thinking all night if this was a good move. About 25% was luck and the rest my own skill + fish at the tables.

So my question is: Does anyone have a stop-WIN point? If we have a stop-loss point, why not a stop-win point?

Thoughts?
  • 7 replies
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      I think a stop loss is good because it protects you from tilt after losing a couple of stacks. A stop win would be good if you're prone to tilting after running hot for a while, I know I often tilt after a really good run. I guess it depends on your tilt tendencies
    • bazerk
      bazerk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bradomurder
      I think a stop loss is good because it protects you from tilt after losing a couple of stacks. A stop win would be good if you're prone to tilting after running hot for a while, I know I often tilt after a really good run. I guess it depends on your tilt tendencies
      Kind of a reverse tilt?. Could be it, not sure. But it happens more often than not. get off to a good start, then slowly drop down.
    • bazerk
      bazerk
      Bronze
      Ok, last night I fired up 4 tables because I got BR to the point I set myself for 4 tables. Same thing happened. Off to a good start, then around 150 hands to 320 hands, nothing. I realize this could be standard, but in the past for me, my profit gets smaller the more hands I play. So at 50+BB, I jumped off.

Hers the graph for last night. Note the sort of flat spot:

Although this seems to me like a winning strategy for now, can someone tell me if this is gonna be good in the long run.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Standard tilt when you run good... Try to get rid of it, it's definetely -EV in the long run to leave a good table which you could get more profit from... You should focus on not tilting when you win a certain amount and keep playing your A-game. That will bring you even more money... Of course if you start overplaying hands because you run good, that might be an issue.

So stop win for beginners... Usually a good idea. In the long run... not such a good idea as it prevents you from getting the volume in. Try to not be result oriented and try to focus on how you play instead ;) . If your game is good and the table is good, there is no reason to leave the table, no matter what the results are. You will be getting profit in the long run.
    • Ave27
      Ave27
      Bronze
      i try not to leave when i'm running good. if i'm winning a lot i always stop and think if i'm overplaying my hand before, cuz i used to do that a lot when i was running hot. so i try to think about it when i play.
    • bazerk
      bazerk
      Bronze
      Thanks guys, thats pretty good advice. Played last night, 800+ hands for +35BBs. Puts an end to my theory
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bazerk
      Thanks guys, thats pretty good advice. Played last night, 800+ hands for +35BBs. Puts an end to my theory

[X] Solid sample size