[NL2-NL10] Interesting hands from 12/19 SSS Adv. Coaching

• xarry2
      xarry2
      Bronze
      Hi,

yesterday I had my first SSS Adv. coaching. I've selected 2 interesting hands I played during the coaching. I plan to do this with every coaching.
      I've given my own comment to every hand but you're welcome to post your opinion.
      Next coaching will be next wednesday 12/26/07.
      Until then I will open up a feedback thread for my coaching, too.

xarry

Hand 1:

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)       
      Position:
      Stack
      UTG+1:
      $43.40
      Hero:
      $37

1/2 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T:diamond: , T:heart:
      UTG+1 raises to $4.00, 3 folds, Hero raises to $14.00, 4 folds, UTG+1 calls $10.00.

Flop: ($31.00) 2:club: , 3:heart: , 8:heart: (2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $23 (All-In), UTG+1 calls $23.00.

Turn: ($77.00) 2:diamond:
      River: ($77.00) J:diamond:

Final Pot: $77.00

I personally don’t respect minraises by unknown short or middle stacks unless I haven’t got reads about the hands they make minraises with. So even against an early raise I reraise TT. Flop play is standard. My opponent will surely show me a monster sometimes but my experience is that these minraises are made with other marginal/speculative hands more often than with monsters.

Hand 2:

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)         
      keine.

1/2 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q:diamond: , Q:heart:
      UTG+1 raises to $6.00, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls $6.00, MP2 raises to $14.00, 3 folds, Hero raises to $60.70 (All-In), 3 folds, MP2 calls $46.70.

Flop: ($135.40) 5:diamond: , 7:club: , 7:spade:
      Turn: ($135.40) 9:diamond:
      River: ($135.40) 9:spade:

Final Pot: $135.40

Against MP2 I still see an edge with QQ. And since a normal reraise commits me anyway I push directly. However, there are 2 things one should think about here. First the UTG raise from a passive player. Well, I don’t have many hands, so in this situation I should give him a standard range for NL 200 like TT+/AQ+. If I’ve got more reads and he proves to be so passive I think QQ can be folded here. The other important aspect is my stack size. I would rather make the push with 20BB than with 30. With 20BB the deadmoney carries much more weight and thus I need less equity for the push.
      But I’m still content with the hand as played. (MP2 showed KJs)
  • 8 replies
    • frzl
      frzl
      Bronze
      nice hands :)
      2) was this the hand where he showed you KJs ? ^^
      so i guess nl200 is beatable :D

good coaching btw.
      just one thing: you can pronounce "frzl" like "fritzl"... you don´t have to say "f","r","z","l" every time i asked a question :D
    • xarry2
      xarry2
      Bronze
      okay fritzl, ty. I really felt awkward pronouncing every single letter.
      but just didn't know how to spell it....
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      advanced coaching in english ! nice)) though a bit strange that it wasn`t announced...

btw, do you raise 3BB from early?
    • xarry2
      xarry2
      Bronze
      It was announced in the coaching calendar.
      next chance next week ;)

no, I raise 4BB from early, 3.5 from CO and 3 from BU.
      If I'm in position (BU and CO) and raise limpers I also raise to 3.5 plus one per limper so I can make some "bluff" or semibluff isolation raises against weak limpers more profitably. also the pots are a bit smaller on the flop and I can often make cbets without commiting me. well of course there are spots where I like to push directly ;)

why did you ask?
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xarry2
      why did you ask?

well, somehow I confused you with UTG+1 in the second hand :D

anyway,

If I'm in position (BU and CO) and raise limpers I also raise to 3.5 plus one per limper so I can make some "bluff" or semibluff isolation raises against weak limpers more profitably.

sorry, didn`t get this part. Can you throw some simple example) what kind of "bluff" isolation raise you are talking about?

I don`t have a gold status to visit advanced coaching, but I`ll try to get one till the next update for that)

btw, what limits are you playing? I mean in general, not on trainings only.
    • xarry2
      xarry2
      Bronze
      well if there's one mp limper (best, limping loose but calling raises tight) e.g., i like to raise hands with good playability in position, that are not listed in the starting hands chart. high SCs, middle PPs or suited aces.
      however I need enough reads from the limper, so e.g. which hands he limps, how often he limp/calls or if he is trapping with monsters and how often he folds to a cbet on the flop.
      of course I take care of the players behind me.
      so if I'm raising a bit less it gets cheaper and the pots on the flop are a bit smaller so I can make cheaper cbets.

this is however a very critical play. I'm still experimenting.

sss i play nl 1k and bss nl 600. in order to play 2k or 5k i plan to play more sss on nl 1k though.
    • mungavin
      mungavin
      Bronze
      We get told this rule of thumb......play big pots with big hands and small pots with......
      also we are told that TPTK is not a strong hand in nl holdem

so why do many players push poket overpairs after the flop risking there entire stack on only a pair.
    • xarry2
      xarry2
      Bronze
      @ mungavin: for BSS this is of course true. but since we play shortstack strategy we have only on fifth of the normal 100BB stack. Thus the pot on the flop will often be as big as or even bigger as our stack on the flop in a raised pot. if this is the case we get pot odds of 2:1 (considering a call of our opponent(s)) or better which equal at least 33% equity to play profitable.
      as a bis stack we often have something like 10 times the pot on the flop. in order to push profitable there (which would be very stupid btw) we would need something like 90% equity which is very unrealistic.

This is one of the biggest advantages of playing SSS which makes it possible to play profitable without having to make difficult decisions on the turn for example.