Poker And University ( Possible to do Both) NLHL

• Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      Hi Everyone.
      Im a first year chemistry student, originating from kent in england, I have been playing poker since i was 12 and i love the game.

Simple intros are always the best. :)

And the rest....

Well when i turned 18 i tried to get serious into poker rather than just playing for play dollars or freerolls so deposited $50 and read up on the game. I actually did fairly well over 3months made it $1000 which i was extremely happy with. However now that im at uni i have each month taken more and more out of my account to cover my expenses, Mostly Drinking and food, of course.

So all I have left with is $99.31, and i've decided to start writing a blog to help me keep track of my results, stay positive, recieve feedback and have a laugh with you lovely folks.

Each month set my self some goals and hopefully hit as many as possible. My prefferred game is nlhl FR. currently playing 0.05/0.10 tables as i cant bring myself to play the 0.02/0.05 tables.

Goals:
      1) Post results after every session with interesting hands
      2) Make Br up to $200 by end of feb
      3) watch at least 10hours of instructive videos.
      4) play roughly an hour a day. (Chemistry is however a fairly intensive course)

Thanks everyone for reading and i look forward to speaking to you soon :)

Plum
  • 15 replies
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Where do you go to University? I'm currently in my final year at Newcastle, trying to grind poker in the spare time I have between grinding out my Dissertation :p
    • Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      Im at York, Im on a masters course though so i got a long time to go before i get to your stage.

This evening i played just over an 1 hour, cards were fairly average not much happening made $8.75 so was alright.

Do have some questions about some hands though, both these hands are against the same player and he is a fish. With the first one is my call ok since he is raising such a small percentage of the pot? Should i have played it differently.

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Full Tilt
      SB ($6.90)
      BB ($10)
      Hero ($10.15)
      UTG+1 ($12.99)
      UTG+2 ($7.05)
      MP1 ($5.16)
      MP2 ($11.11)
      CO ($5.87)
      BTN ($9.86)

Dealt to Hero K:heart: K:diamond:

Hero raises to $0.30, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls $0.30, fold, fold

FLOP ($0.75) T:heart: 2:club: A:heart:

Hero bets $0.50, BTN calls $0.50

TURN ($1.75) T:heart: 2:club: A:heart: 3:spade:

Hero checks, BTN bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60

RIVER ($2.95) T:heart: 2:club: A:heart: 3:spade: 2:heart:

Hero checks, BTN bets $0.90, Hero calls $0.90

BTN shows 2:spade: A:spade:
      (Pre 33%, Flop 86.5%, Turn 95.5%)

Hero shows K:heart: K:diamond:
      (Pre 67%, Flop 13.5%, Turn 4.5%)

BTN wins $4.44

Second one Im wondering is my check here bad? is it ok to do even though im giving a card to someone who is drawing.. Usually i would bet however because he has been so fishy im thinking he will take a stab at the river what ever happens.

SB ($5.06)
      BB ($10.81)
      UTG ($5.67)
      UTG+1 ($5.35)
      UTG+2 ($6.85)
      MP1 ($10)
      Hero ($11.57)
      CO ($13.39)
      BTN ($11.30)

Dealt to Hero K:spade: Q:heart:

fold, UTG+1 calls $0.10, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.40, fold, fold, fold, fold, UTG+1 calls $0.30

FLOP ($0.95) 3:spade: 2:diamond: Q:spade:

UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $0.60, UTG+1 calls $0.60

TURN ($2.15) 3:spade: 2:diamond: Q:spade: Q:club:

UTG+1 checks, Hero checks

He does stab at the river and loses this time around however.

I feel like showing this hand because it just warms my heart :)

Dealt to PlumThe master [9c Tc]
      folds,
      raises to $0.35
      folds,
      folds,
      PlumThe master calls $0.35
      folds,
      folds,
      *** FLOP *** [7c 8c Jc]

I will try and play a bit tomorrow, however my gf is coming up for the next few days and my house want to play centurion on tuesday so this may not resume fully till wednesday afternoon after i have recovered :)

Br: $108.06

Plum
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      Cool, I am a 3rd years biochem student and I have aced all my organic chemistry classes, let me know if you need help and gl on your quest ;)
    • Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      Right im back, Valentines day over and done with was a very fun evening :) and got to spend a nice few days with my girlfriend.

Unfortunately while she was here no poker was going to be played, however as a house we did play centurion which did not end well for many, strangely my gf managed it with ease which is concerning. Inception was also watched, for the first time ever myself.

However she left this morning so i fired up the poker machine. :)
      Hour and a half later i had lost $1.14 and was feeling just a tad peeved, games were slow nothing seemed to be hitting and was generally bored.

So went to the gym, then had a couple of pints and watched the arsenal vs barcelona game......

2-1

seriously....

im impressed by arsenal but it was not a reflective score line, my mate is a arsenal fan and will not shut up about it for days no doubt sigh....

So fired up my comp this evening and played another hour going much better netting $5.20. So not a bad day after all.

Also no lectures till 2.15 tomorrow LIE IN WIN :)

Br: $111.89

Plum
    • SneakyhanD
      SneakyhanD
      Bronze
      All of you chemistry students are future Drugmakers :) Future Dr.AlbertHoffman

Goodluck with your blog mate !
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      RE: The KQ hand, def bet turn. He is going to be defending the flop alot with pocket pairs, and I don't think he will ever fold when the top pairs - pairs.

Nice intro though mate and I'll be looking forward to seeing your bankroll grow into the 4 and 5 figures.
    • Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      At SneakyhanD:

Cheers :) i get that a lot lol, its either that or can you make us a bomb. Which worryingly i can, lecturer told us how to make a bomb in a bath and i can make tnt from basically scratch. Slightly concerning since i have only completed 1 term but oh well :)

At pleno1:

I think your correct for the board, problem i had is the opp was very fishy and was betting randomly all over the place but folded a lot to bets, so i decided to check and let him barrell the river.
      I regret doing it because your play is the correct one but i just managed to pull it off on this occasion. Cheers.

Now off to have a shower then hit the tables for a bit.

Plum
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Poker + University is certainly possible imo, but is easier if you're not a student. :f_biggrin:
    • Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      SB ($14.02)
      BB ($10.55)
      UTG ($10.32)
      UTG+1 ($10.30)
      UTG+2 ($10.34)
      Hero ($11.11)
      MP2 ($3)
      CO ($10.15)
      BTN ($6.53)

Dealt to Hero K:club: K:spade:

fold, UTG+1 raises to $0.30, fold, Hero raises to $0.90, MP2 raises to $1.65, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $5.40, MP2 calls $1.35 (AI)

FLOP ($6.45) 3:club: K:diamond: Q:club:

TURN ($6.45) 3:club: K:diamond: Q:club: K:heart:

SB ($10.09)
      BB ($9.07)
      UTG ($3.30)
      Hero ($10.15)
      UTG+2 ($9.85)
      MP1 ($10)
      CO ($7.61)
      BTN ($6.74)

Dealt to Hero 7:spade: 7:heart:

fold, Hero calls $0.10, fold, fold, fold, fold, SB raises to $0.40, fold, Hero calls $0.30

FLOP ($0.90) 7:club: 3:heart: K:heart:

SB bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50

TURN ($1.90) 7:club: 3:heart: K:heart: 5:spade:

SB bets $1, Hero calls $1

RIVER ($3.90) 7:club: 3:heart: K:heart: 5:spade: Q:spade:

SB bets $2, Hero raises to $5, SB calls $3

SB shows A:diamond: A:heart:
      (Pre 81%, Flop 12.5%, Turn 4.5%)

Hero shows 7:spade: 7:heart:
      (Pre 19%, Flop 87.5%, Turn 95.5%)

Hero wins $12.98

Just a couple of nice hands from today.
    • AjoPP1
      AjoPP1
      Bronze
      I like your line in the second hand but I'd be more inclined to a raise on the turn, both because of protection(draw) and you could probably bomb a non-heart river. All depends on the opponent though, I'd take your line against a nit and the line I described against a tad more aggressive villain. Hope my hypothesis isn't way out of line :]
    • Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      At AjoPP1: I would agree with you but the guy was very nitty, like less than 10 VPIP so i didnt want to scare him off.

Today was a good day played 479 hands and got $13.69 :) over 2 sessions. First session was fairly tame with not much happening rough 300 hands solid perfomance but only $2.50 netted. Second session was much better making $11.

Tables are certainly a lot looser and fishy in the evenings compared to the mornings, mornings are full of regs although they are still fairly poor.

Evenings much more fun and easy :)

However i did notice one thing, playing 3 tables 2 of the tables were running fine normal playing about 14 VPIP.
      but 1 table this evening i played 50 hands and had a vpip of 2. I mean seriously for god sake GIVE ME A HAND!

It was 0 for first 30 hands.

Thats all for the day, got 7hours of lectures tomorrow starting at 9 so poker will be thin on the ground.

Br: $125.58

Plum
    • Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      SB ($3.88)
      Hero ($14.79)
      UTG ($11.94)
      UTG+1 ($2.15)
      CO ($10.64)
      BTN ($4.26)

Dealt to Hero J:heart: 5:heart:

UTG calls $0.10, UTG+1 calls $0.10, fold, fold, SB calls $0.05, Hero checks

FLOP ($0.40) J:spade: 4:club: J:club:

SB bets $0.20, Hero calls $0.20, UTG calls $0.20, UTG+1 folds

TURN ($1) J:spade: 4:club: J:club: T:diamond:

SB bets $0.20, Hero raises to $0.60, UTG folds, SB calls $0.40

RIVER ($2.20) J:spade: 4:club: J:club: T:diamond: 4:heart:

SB checks, Hero bets $1.30, SB raises to $2.60, Hero raises to $3.90, SB calls $0.38 (AI)

SB shows 4:diamond: T:heart:
      (Pre 34%, Flop 0.1%, Turn 0.0%)

Hero shows J:heart: 5:heart:
      (Pre 66%, Flop 99.9%, Turn 100.0%)

Hero wins $7.62

Guess the fish are out today.
      However literally had no hands so far break even. Might have a break tbh.
    • Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      k well yesterday basically despite the fish being out on their saturday force i was unable to capitalise.
      Hands just didnt seem to swing my way, never popped a set seemed to always miss my flush or my open ender.
      Despite this i still managed to come away with a small profit over 2 hours.

Little dissappointing specially as i can only play for half an hour today due to it being my housemates birthday and off on a pub crawl :)

see ya all later

Br $126.97

Plum
    • Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      Ok well since i haven't updated for awhile. Sunday was a good day despite starting badly, going down $5 after 10mins just being sucked out on for a while.

However the evenin went much better where i hit the tables hard and put in a very strong session. Managed to get my Kings all in preflop twice with both nice pots. :)

However my housemates have managed to get me hooked on football manager so havent had a chance to play today despite having most of it without lectures which is a touch annoying. Hopefully i will rectify this situation will rectify itself.

over 3.5BI over the week i feel fairly happy with my game, i do feel im playing too tight in late position specially considering the number of fish at the nl10 limit.

I have labs from 10-5 tomorrow so i will get some poker done in the evening but prob will be nackered.

br: $136.15
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Haha, Football Manager is a killer for any sort of productive aims :D On last years me and my flatmates got to the year 2028 on it :D