SNG Position question...

• SuperiorLuck
      SuperiorLuck
      Basic
      Hello guys im trying to learn a bit more about poker so im reading and studying the SNG pre flop and post flop guides available for newbies like me.

I have something to ask about position. When i play a 10 player sng preflop and its my time to act, should i consider im in the normal position (i mean if im on MP1 im still in MP1) or should i consider my position has changed with the guys that folded before me (so if 1 guy folded i would be in UTG3 for example)?

I also know that with less players earlier positions are deleted so in a 4 players game there would be no UTG and MP.... That makes me alot more confuse.

Maybe my question is dumb but with less players limping before me ill be on a bigger disadvantage since ill play earlier than what i was supposed to play (if everyone limped). So if 3 guys fold before me and im on MP1 ill be the first to act but playing with the middle position hand chart decisions instead of a closer range of hands that we should play in early positions.

Sorry if this sounds too confusing, but im still looking for an helpful answer.
      Thanks in advance.
  • 3 replies
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SuperiorLuck
      Hello guys im trying to learn a bit more about poker so im reading and studying the SNG pre flop and post flop guides available for newbies like me.

1. I have something to ask about position. When i play a 10 player sng preflop and its my time to act, should i consider im in the normal position (i mean if im on MP1 im still in MP1) or should i consider my position has changed with the guys that folded before me (so if 1 guy folded i would be in UTG3 for example)?

2. I also know that with less players earlier positions are deleted so in a 4 players game there would be no UTG and MP.... That makes me alot more confuse.

3. Maybe my question is dumb but with less players limping before me ill be on a bigger disadvantage since ill play earlier than what i was supposed to play (if everyone limped). So if 3 guys fold before me and im on MP1 ill be the first to act but playing with the middle position hand chart decisions instead of a closer range of hands that we should play in early positions.

Sorry if this sounds too confusing, but im still looking for an helpful answer.
      Thanks in advance.
      1. your position stays the same when people infront of you fold.

2. indeed in 4 handed you only have Small blind, big blind, button and cut-off so you will play according to the starting hand chart for those positions.

3. not intirely sure what you mean here sorry.

regards,
    • SuperiorLuck
      SuperiorLuck
      Basic
      Thank you for answering. Point 3 was basically debating where my confusion came from but you already answered what i needed to know in point 1.

To explain it differently lets say i was wondering why would i play a mid position strategy in a pseudo-early position (cause if someone folds before you, you will play 1 position earlier in the flop therefore having less players on which you had position as an advantage). Example: you are MP1 in a 10 player table, 3 players fold before you in preflop, you will be the first to act in flop instead of being forth in the case noone folded preflop before you. In the end it's the same situation as being on UTG1 but with different hand ranges (bigger range cause UTG is more tight than MP).

Not sure if it was clearer. But thanks again!

Cheers.
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      i think you need to remember thaat position is based on the number of people that can act behind you. The number before / how many before have folded is basically irrelvant