[NL2-NL10] NL10 6max Rush, AK overs vs. very small cbets

• Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Villains stats: 30/22/7.0 during 27 hands, 3bet 9.5.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($12.55)
      Hero (BB) ($14.49)
      UTG ($3.36)
      MP ($16.43)
      CO ($6.55)
      Button ($14.66)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, A
      UTG bets $0.35, 2 folds, Button raises to $0.60, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.50, 1 fold

Flop: ($1.60) J, 7, 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, Button bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60

Turn: ($2.80) 6 (2 players)
      Hero checks, Button bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50

River: ($3.80) 10 (2 players)
      Hero bets $12.79 (All-In), Button calls $12.79

Total pot: $29.38 | Rake: $1.95

Results below:
      Button had K, K (flush, King high).
      Hero had K, A (flush, Ace high).
      Outcome: Hero won $27.43

Preflop: Not a perfect play by me of course, but I honestly didn't want to dump my whole 140BB stack with AK :) Especially when facing a min3bet which on most occasions means QQ+. However, now I think I should have shoved this because I was OOP.
      But anyway, I chose to smooth call the 3bet and fold to a shorty's shove and villain's overshove. Shorty folds - that was very surprising.
      Flop: I expected a standart pot size or even overbet by villain following this standart fishy "minraise pre / overbet flop" line. I would have easily folded my AK then, but he bets less than 40% pot. Now I think he probably has AQ or AJ, because I'm very sure he would come out very strongly with his overpair. Also there is a possibility for a set of Jacks. Anyway, I put him on AQ/AJ/maybe even AK and call.
      Turn: He bets even less and now I'm % 100 sure he has AK/AQ/AJ, with K/Q/J being a heart. Overpairs would bet big at least here, not to mention sets.
      River: Alright, so we both probably hit our flushes. I'm pretty sure he smooth calls but doesn't raise any bet I make. Therefore I shove.

Sorry for this tl;dr post but I really wonder if my assumptions were good :)
  • 6 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Bliausmas,

You shouldn't be sorry for the posting. I am glad to evaluate all the hands what people post. And I am even more happy when I can help you fix your leaks and help to move up the limits. Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future. :)

About the game:
      Preflop: Just for that reason I don't really like the Call here that we are somehow deep, and AK ain't that good in multiway pot. Rather just fold it. Plus you will be OOP and even if you hit will be hard to extract value.

As played
      Flop: Even if you hit your TP, we will never be sure where we stand. I'd rather just fold it and not go to Call for my overcards or backdoor.

As played if flop was Called
      Turn: Yes, you can likely Call now, when he is giving that great odds and you went that far.
      River: And likely shoving is the greatest plan here, when he has the flush here, then we might still get Called either by small bet or bigger one. And as well he doesn't seem to be that good opponent either.

Best regards.
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Hi veriz, thanks for your answer. So you would suggest folding AK preflop, or would shove be justifiable here being pretty deep?

I reviewed the hand today again and despite outcome being very nice, I see it's played very passively. That's probably my biggest leak - I like to gamble a lot, and only when I'm in top shape I can avoid that. It's really cool when technical improving helps you to find and (hopefully) fight psychological leaks :)

And about technical improvement - yeah, I feel it. Some time ago I couldn't even escape from this type of situations when having AJ :D
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Bliausmas
      Hi veriz, thanks for your answer. So you would suggest folding AK preflop, or would shove be justifiable here being pretty deep?

I reviewed the hand today again and despite outcome being very nice, I see it's played very passively. That's probably my biggest leak - I like to gamble a lot, and only when I'm in top shape I can avoid that. It's really cool when technical improving helps you to find and (hopefully) fight psychological leaks :)

And about technical improvement - yeah, I feel it. Some time ago I couldn't even escape from this type of situations when having AJ :D
      That's why posting also helps and has helped me and all the other players and why I strongly recommend to do it. And yes, rather fold it preflop and it ain't even wrong. AK ain't that strong as you think. ;) Just take a look at the profits for example, how much do you win with AKo? If you have some kind of tracker which says that.
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Not too bad, but nothing impressive also - AKo produced 8BI profit so far. It's probably because of those preflop all-ins, I hate to shove with AK preflop :) But that's part of good game I think, better start doing it now if I don't want to be exploited at higher limits where opponents are smart enough to see my stackoff range...
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Bliausmas
      Not too bad, but nothing impressive also - AKo produced 8BI profit so far. It's probably because of those preflop all-ins, I hate to shove with AK preflop :) But that's part of good game I think, better start doing it now if I don't want to be exploited at higher limits where opponents are smart enough to see my stackoff range...
      The main point on higher limits and of course in this limit is that you understand and can put the opponent on a range and if you think he only has like JJ+ or even QQ+, then there is no point going broke but if you see him having a lot wider range like his 3bet stat is higher and so on then you may as well consider going broke. And of course various situations can indicate to different situations as blind-defence and etc.
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Yeah, I got your point. Shoving against 3betting maniacs with AK always works for me. Sometimes they even call with weaker Ace. However I took out 4bet bluff maneuver of my play against those maniacs, because they keep calling 4bets with trash like hell.. But that's of course another opera :)
      About exploiting - I mean if my stackoff range is very tight (like 2.0-2.5) the opponents may 4bet me with any2 way too often, and thus collect nice profit while always correctly folding to my shove even hands like AK or QQ. I may very well be wrong of course, but I think that adding AK to your "standart stackoff" range (with some exceptions of course) could fix this problem.