9-max making deals!

• variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      ok so I get in the situation of a HU fairly often in 9-max games. I rarely ask for a deal because my HU game is pretty good (I think) and so vs most opponents it's not very profitable to do so.

but.... offcourse there is a but.
      What if you are up against a good regular who know ICM and is one of the top winners on your limit. And he is the one asking for a deal.
      Should you accept, and if so do you just make the deal using the chip model wich is the same as ICM in HU?
      I usually try to extract a bit more wich works 70% of the time, but yet again that makes me think aswell. If people accept a worse deal than ICM calculates they are acknowledging I have a edge on them!

So what is your opinion on this matter.

regards,
  • 8 replies
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      I don't think you are going to have a large edge on a good regular. Almost all of the time, the HU phase is just decided by the cards. When the blinds are high, and you get 55 vs. KQ, or 88 vs. 66, or AQ vs. A8, and all of the money is going in. In fact, I think many people underestimate how much of an advantage you can take by rounding up the figure suggested by the chip count/ICM compared with playing it out.

Bankroll theory does say you can give up some small edges which come with a lot of variance. Also, you might want to save some time so you can move on to the next tournament.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Can you make deals in SNG's?
    • malosanmaka
      malosanmaka
      Bronze
      Originally posted by viewer88
      Can you make deals in SNG's?
      On FTP - yes.
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      i chop against good regs who i know play perfect hu nash. otherwise never chop. the chop is an ICM chop as well. not a 50/50
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      I think making a deal when the blinds are 1k or 800 and you both have similiar stack size (+/- 1k) is +EV against reg. It's mostly going to be luck and you basically have a tiny edge if you know how to HU correctly, is my logic bad here?
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      your edge should still be large when the blinds are big because fish dont know how to call.

once again, only chop against players you know play perfect nash. otherwise use your edge.
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      I usually offer ICM chops to most regs I have some respect for...

The edge I might have is simply not worth it cuz HU takes a bit off my attention from the other tables.. and imo it's more profitable for both of us just to make an ICM chop and open up a new table to play fish..
      It has come to a point where I don't even ask some of the regulars for a deal.. we both simply know we both want to chop so yea =)

Recently I've also been having some fishes ask me for deals.. I usually offer them a really bad deal.. and to my surprise they accept it from time to time :s_biggrin:
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hlynkinn
      Recently I've also been having some fishes ask me for deals.. I usually offer them a really bad deal.. and to my surprise they accept it from time to time :s_biggrin:
      i didnt even think of doing that. i usually just snap deny all fish but i should try offering them a crap deal