Could have extracted more money?

• Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Well here's my first hand posted on here. I think I played it slightly wrong. I'm using a variant of the SSS (I'm not being arrogant, just trying different playing styles that's all :} )

Did I play this kinda wrong? I think I did, should have made a lower bet on the river and he would have called, I think? (P.s. I realise I could have been in a very bad position if he had flushed and I didn't hit Q on river)

And maybe shouldn't have limped in in the first place?

Poker Stars $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 1179448
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (SB): $1.67
      BB: $3.65
      UTG: $5.33
      MP: $0.97
      CO: $2.00
      BTN: $0.88

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is SB with Q :spade: A :spade:
      4 folds, Hero calls $0.01, BB checks

Flop: ($0.04) A :diamond: 2 :diamond: 5 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.06, BB calls $0.06

Turn: ($0.16) Q :club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.10, BB calls $0.10

River: ($0.36) Q :heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.74, BB folds

Hope this works :]
  • 7 replies
    • beefpuff
      beefpuff
      Bronze
      Buy-in for the full, or buyin at minimum.. Playing SSS doesn't make much sense with 88bb..

I'd raise preflop. As you can see the final pot is pretty small with your monster hand. If you had raised preflop the pot could easily have been much bigger on the river. For example:

Hero raises to 0.06
      BB calls 0.06

pot is 0.12 on the flop

Hero bets 0.08
      BB calls 0.08

pot is 0.28 on the turn

Hero bets 0.18
      BB calls 0.18

pot is 0.64 on the river

Hero bets 0.46
      BB calls 0.46

Final pot is 1.56.

Your bet sizing is also a little strange - you shouldn't really be betting more than the pot unless you have a read on your opponent and you know he'll call often.

You shouldn't really be too worried about the flush unless a 4th diamond comes up - in fact you should be hoping for a flush draw so that he'll call the flop and turn.

Just a few random thoughts, I'm not an expert so don't take my advice as 100% true yet, wait for a judge ;)
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Hmm that makes sense.

And yeah, I was wondering if there's any distinct disadvantage to only 2$ buy in. Just dislike the mechanical play of SSS, but the money for the full buy in is huge! May have to deposit a tiny bit more. We'll see!

Thanks for the advice, it seems sound!
    • Evante
      Evante
      Bronze
      I think when you say you are playing a different style of SSS, i think you just playing awesomely tight with a bigger stack?

SSS has a lot of EV calculation involved.

about your hand, i think you shld over bet the turn instead of the river.
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      hmm yeah, pretty much just quite tight with a bigger stack. Do you think that's ok, or if i'm not playing SSS just need to buy in with the full amount?

And ok, thanks :]
    • diversfx
      diversfx
      Silver
      Ya raise pre flop,when the river hits bet for value you want a flush or maybe even 2pr with high EV to raise.Gets you the max value.The river I bet 1/2 to 3/4 of the pot.
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jim4rdo
      hmm yeah, pretty much just quite tight with a bigger stack. Do you think that's ok, or if i'm not playing SSS just need to buy in with the full amount?

And ok, thanks :]
      If you play that tight with a bigger stack, you will prolly loose lots with QQ+ against sets.

If you play with ~100xbb learn BSS otherwise play SSS with 20xbb ;)

T.
    • pokerkingspades
      pokerkingspades
      Basic
      imo Sss doesn't work when u have more than 30bb,so playing that strategy with 80bb+ is -Ev