The Superstition Thread

• cauelaratta
      cauelaratta
      Bronze
      Ok, I know you all try to hide behind that fancy "luck-does-not-exist-it's-just-variance-and-bad-playing-stop-whining-lol", but deep inside we are all naturally tempted, every now and then, to get superstitious about something. Like that one day you realize everytime you play with that old red underwear you should have thrown away ten years ago it's like BAM! - up 12 BIs bitches!!

So I thought it might be kinda funny to create a thread where people can share their own superstition and try to find any logic behind it, if possible.

I'll go first: everytime I take a bad beat and/or I don't get good starting cards for a long time I stand up, spin my chair and sit down again. That's supposed to "change the luck stream in the room" (oh god, can't believe I'm writing this in public). If I don't do that, I just go crazy thinking the bad luck streak will never stop.

I keep thinking what would happen if I ever got to the WSOP final table and suddenly stood up and started to spin my chair. Negreanu, sitting to my right, would probably stand up and do the same, trying to counterattack my move, Phil Ivey, sitting to my right, would just stare at Negreanu and me with absolutely no reaction and Phil Helmuth would probably mock the hell outta us, excepct that.. wait, he's not there, he was eliminated on day 1 again.
  • 7 replies
    • matteo84
      matteo84
      Bronze
      haha I remember Negreanu didn't want to shave at some EPT event in 2010 cause he was running good. I don't remember how it ended but he made it to the final table. :f_biggrin:
    • cauelaratta
      cauelaratta
      Bronze
      lol, didn´t know that.

found this just now, pretty interesting.

http://www.predictem.com/poker/superstitions.php
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      My only superstition if you can call it like that is that I try not to think negative as much as possible when all in because I feel like I'll lose much more often if I do. Kinda silly, but can't do anything to myself.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      I always cry after every session. it makes me run better the next one.
    • cojonel
      cojonel
      Global
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      My only superstition if you can call it like that is that I try not to think negative as much as possible when all in because I feel like I'll lose much more often if I do. Kinda silly, but can't do anything to myself.
      Lol i m always thinking for vilian outs and voila every time i count them all boom one hit the board! Lets change my mind and throw away bad karma :D
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      If you think hard enough about villains 2 outer appearing on the river, BOOOOOOM, THERE IT IS.

And it was YOUR OWN DAMN FAULT for thinking so negatively about the situation.

Just because scientists haven't researched it yet, it doesn't mean that its suddenly not a fact that humans can INFLUENCE QUANTUM-MECHANICS and hence MODIFY THEIR PATH THROUGH TIME manipulating future events.

So while you are sitting there depressed and WHINING LIKE A BITCH, the other 95% of your existences, currently residing in various co-existing parallel universes are joyously celebrating being the recipient of a SHINY NEW BUYIN.

So please, do the responsible thing and think about something else the next time you have all the money in as a 95% favourite. Anything - flowers, freshly cut grass, a laughing baby, a queen on the river.....WAIT...I MEAN, UH.......

Bugger.