Requirements for PokerStrategy articles

• hotdogonfire
      hotdogonfire
      Basic
      Why aren't the pokerstrategy articles/videos freely distributed? In all honestly, it wouldn't be hard to torrent or email them around, and I can't imagine people actually going through with the steep StrategyPoint requirements just for access to them.

Perhaps there are a few articles which have such great knowledge that they deserve to be "earned" for access, but it doesn't make sense that every article above basic level is tiered until we unlock them. Is PokerStrategy honestly attempting to educate the few that earn massive amounts of rakeback to become even bigger winners, while deeming everyone else as competition and thus undeserving of their articles? (and truly believing that all this will come from how they limit access to their articles?)

No other site besides PokerStrategy holds such an absurd requirement for their information articles, and although the PokerStrategy articles are admittedly more clearly written out, it's disappointing that so much of the information is feebly kept away from non-PokerStrategy members (the entire US audience easily comes to mind).

Thoughts/responses to this?
  • 13 replies
    • bazerk
      bazerk
      Bronze
      If you can't earn points needed for articles, I don't think your ready to read/use the strategies in them.

Sorry dude, harsh but true
    • Bidillu
      Bidillu
      Bronze
      Originally posted by hotdogonfire
      it's disappointing that so much of the information is feebly kept away from non-PokerStrategy members.
      That's the point!!

PS members are paying through their rake via the poker sites that are tracked to their account. The more they play, the more they indirectly pay. PS also gets referral money for each of these players besides a percentage of rake they generate. And here you are wanting to give away free what members are PAYING for.

No thanks! I hope your suggestion gets the flaming it deserves.
    • bazerk
      bazerk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Bidillu
      That's the point!!

PS members are paying through their rake via the poker sites that are tracked to their account. The more they play, the more they indirectly pay. PS also gets referral money for each of these players besides a percentage of rake they generate. And here you are wanting to give away free what members are PAYING for.

No thanks! I hope your suggestion gets the flaming it deserves.
      Even better way to put it
    • hotdogonfire
      hotdogonfire
      Basic
      It's true that if you have the number of StrategyPoints needed to read an article, you may very well be ready to read it - the amount of rakeback you've generated is under PokerStrategy's eyes, enough for you to "progress".

But what if you haven't generated that amount of rakeback? Maybe you aren't ready to use the strategies illustrated, but that much should be obvious from the start. Denying access to those articles without even stating that you probably aren't "ready enough" is equivalent to most primitive form of babying someone possible.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi hotdogonfire,

There are actually lots of articles, videos etc available to our basic status members with many more available to our Bronze status members.
      Members are automatically upgraded to Bronze as soon as they start to play on their newly created tracked account.

Even Silver & Gold statuses are really easy to achieve within even a short space of time.

The articles and other educational material have been staggered to provide a measured progress for both the beginner and existing player without over burdening them with too much technical aspects too soon. The more you learn and incorporate into your game, the more articles etc will be opened up.

PokerStrategy invests heavily in building this library of educational material which as the guys have mentioned is funded ultimately by the members themselves. It is therefore only right that members have exclusive access to this material which is one of the many benefits of membership here and the best available on the internet (in my personal opinion).

We appreciate your thoughts and feedback though. Have you chosen a platform to have tracked via PokerStrategy yet? The sooner you do, the quicker further material gets opened up to you (but not available to residents of the U.S. or Turkey due to legal restrictions beyond PokerStrategy's control).

Hope this helps to explain the process a little. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to shout.

Best regards,

Bart
    • hotdogonfire
      hotdogonfire
      Basic
      There are two basic problems that I believe are present in the requirements for PokerStrategy articles.

1. PokerStrategy shouldn't be tiering the articles.
      Sure, emphasize that it's more important to master the basics before moving onto more advanced material, but having the material available to everyone from the start would on the whole, make everyone a better player. It's absurd to suggest that given a large sample size of players, withholding lessons will actually improve their game.

2. PokerStrategy should make available (most) articles that are at present time members-only.
      I can't find a Poker site dealing with strategy that's requiring us to pay for their information. Almost everything can be found on the web for free. Disseminating Poker knowledge (and knowledge in general) is a goal that you're either financially motivated for, or independent from. Write a book, or charge a clear price for what you're doing if you're with the former, but don't end up using a convoluted "StrategyPoint" system to provide what you could easily give everyone with a few clicks.

If there are a few articles that are completely revolutionary/mind-shattering, it's perfectly fine to limit access to them (treat them like trade secrets). However the current system seems not only insecure but also illogical.

There should be and must be perks available to PokerStrategy members such as available coaching, forum posting privileges, etc. in order to create interest in joining, but I feel that including the strategy articles into the system of "StrategyPoints" isn't the best way.
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      Hi hotdogonfire,

we are a company of over 250 employees and several hundred freelancers - all of whom enjoy a nice, warm dinner every once in a while :)
      Going further, we finance our offer, so the videos, articles, coachings and the $50 starting capital along with promotions exclusive to our members, with the percentage of the rake that every one of our members pays. You can find more about our business model on our website.

And even ignoring that, our content is tiered simply because it makes sense - most beginners would not only be unable to understand most higher level content, the sheer mass of it would likely be confusing to them.

Our aim is that every one of our active members is able to achieve and hold the status appropriate to his played limit without spending an awful lot of time and with the upcoming new status calculation this should work out even better than it already is.

Regards,

Hadi
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      There are two basic problems that I believe are present in the requirements for PokerStrategy articles.

1. PokerStrategy shouldn't be tiering the articles.
      Sure, emphasize that it's more important to master the basics before moving onto more advanced material, but having the material available to everyone from the start would on the whole, make everyone a better player. It's absurd to suggest that given a large sample size of players, withholding lessons will actually improve their game.

2. PokerStrategy should make available (most) articles that are at present time members-only.
      I can't find a Poker site dealing with strategy that's requiring us to pay for their information. Almost everything can be found on the web for free. Disseminating Poker knowledge (and knowledge in general) is a goal that you're either financially motivated for, or independent from. Write a book, or charge a clear price for what you're doing if you're with the former, but don't end up using a convoluted "StrategyPoint" system to provide what you could easily give everyone with a few clicks.

If there are a few articles that are completely revolutionary/mind-shattering, it's perfectly fine to limit access to them (treat them like trade secrets). However the current system seems not only insecure but also illogical.

There should be and must be perks available to PokerStrategy members such as available coaching, forum posting privileges, etc. in order to create interest in joining, but I feel that including the strategy articles into the system of "StrategyPoints" isn't the best way.
      About number 1...

Dude... I'm no great player, but even I know that there is a world of difference between micro and even 25cent/50cent... There are enough people on the forum bragging about how they pissed away their starting capital in 24 hours. Can you imagine some guy with his starting $50 trying some fancy bluff he learned about on a platinum video for a stack at 2cent/5cent? Only to get called by bottom pair and lose? And then spew on the forum about "those donks at micro"?

I know that to most liberal minded people, the very concept of withholding info is repulsive, but use common sense. In early school, we learn basic concepts. Only in university and beyond do we find out that those concepts are not as "true" as we believed as children. So why not teach children that everything is a shade of gray? Well, you wouldn't do that because the young mind is not ready for adult knowledge and the implications of that knowledge. Same here with poker. As a micro player, I will lose money if I try a 72o bluff like Durrr did in the video. I think you can take Pokerstrategy at their word when they say they want you to succeed with the $50. That's why you absorb the appropriate level of info.

Number 2

As far as how PS ranks with other sites, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better one no matter how much they get from the sites for the referral. The amount they get BECAUSE of me is irrelevant. What matters is what I pay them and I pay them nothing. And I get rakeback? Looks like a great value!

It is true that people could easily find a way to get the info. So what? I think the people at PS know that and they don't seemed concerned. Also, I don't think people move up in stakes simply because they want the platinum videoes. Correct me if I'm wrong Platinums and Diamonds, but I would assume that they moved up because their skill and bankroll merited it, not because they wanted to read a Diamond article. The tiered videoes and articles are icing on the cake, not a raison d'etre.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      It's like you are "paying" for a coach or tutor with the raked money that you would rake either way if you weren't tracked by PokerStrategy.com
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      You say that you haven't seen a poker site that makes you pay for the information except for PokerStrategy: But PokerStrategy doesn't make you pay for the information. You don't pay a cent unless you actually lose your starting 50 dollars. Plus, if you really want to find out certain information, much of it is on other sites.

Additionally, it makes sense that a free site that is funded entirely through the rake it's members generate would want to encourage and reward people for generating it. Plus, the Basic, Bronze and Silver articles are a lot of reading (To really understand the concepts, you'll want to read them multiple times) and by earning 1 Strategy Point for 10 days out of 42, you'll get Silver status. Only Gold+ requires you to play a fair amount of Poker to earn them.
    • Airdraken
      Airdraken
      Bronze
      The fact that the requirements are there does not bother me in the slightest, i just found it annoying that id have to change sites to use their bonus, i already have an account with PS, FT and Party, mainly using PS. Just gutted that id have to move to a lower (worse) site to get the strategypoints.
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      Maybe this is good news for you Airdraken: Paying for material access

:)

Hadi
    • Winthrop
      Winthrop
      Basic
      For beginners and amateurs alike starting hand requirements will help separate you from the donkey’s taking all of your chips when they got lucky hitting a straight playing seven-four off suit under the gun and the skilled player who selectively picks his hands and is almost never behind when he hits his hands.

[External gaming link removed by EagleStar88 - Forum Rules]