Should I have played this?

• Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

Was thinking what you guys thought about this?

As he PFR I had guessed he must have had something like jj+ , maybe AK, but I suppose I just wanted to see?

When he went all in, I just thought, I've already put 15 in, and 21 to call to win a bigger pot was worth it.

But I checked it out on equilator, it was a 5% chance I would win... So a horrible bad beat for him, and so lucky for me.

Am i wrong in thinking according to the chart I needed 4:1 odds to call? From flop to river with chance of getting 3 of a kind? And as it was 21 to call to a 71 pot, that's just under, so possible reason for a call?

Or are these the type of situations I just shouldn't call in?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP1:
      $0.37
      MP2:
      $2.18
      MP3:
      $0.71
      CO:
      $2.90
      BU:
      $2.86
      SB (Hero):
      $2.25
      BB:
      $2.00
      UTG2:
      $0.75

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, J.
      UTG2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.06, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.05, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.14) 5, 8, 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.10, MP1 raises to $0.31(All-In), Hero calls $0.21.

Turn: ($0.76) 3 (2 players)

River: ($0.76) J (2 players)

Final Pot: $0.76.
      Results follow:

MP1 shows two pairs, queens and eights(Q Q).
      Hero shows a full-house, jacks full of eights(J J).

Hero wins with a full-house, jacks full of eights(J J).

Many thanks
  • 7 replies
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Just adding this one in as well, so i don't have to make a new topic.

I really wanted to call this, but scared because of the raise pre flop that he had KK/AA/AK.

Maybe should have called this, wanted your thoughts :]

Thanks again

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $0.91
      UTG1:
      $2.39
      UTG2:
      $0.17
      MP1:
      $2.00
      MP2:
      $2.21
      MP3:
      $2.83
      CO (Hero):
      $2.69
      BU:
      $2.06
      SB:
      $2.01

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, J.
      3 folds, MP2 raises to $0.10, MP3 folds, Hero calls $0.10, 3 folds, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.23) 4, K, A (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.20, Hero folds, MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.23.
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      1. With our opponent being such a shorty I would stackoff preflop, JJ is totally fine. Same goes with flop.

2. It sucks when you don't have the initiative, but if you were going to fold top pair into further aggression, you should better fold it preflop. AT-AQ may become very tough to play sometimes. As played - I don't even know, that's really nasty spot. I would probably call, but I absolutely don't mean that it would be correct play.
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Thanks for the answers :]

I definitely think i played the 2nd one wrong... I'm not sure why, but re-reading what I posted confused me, because I thought I remembered him betting a lot more than 0.20 which is why I thought I folded. I'm sure normally I would have called. So maybe I wasn't concentrating enough for that, or just played it stupidly!
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Well he bet almost the pot, it actually is a big bet. I don't see him doing that with air here, I think he is betting for value. And we are pretty weak against his valuebetting range.
      By the way, you should post hands in the hand evaluation forums, there you will get much more professional advices :)
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Oh, that was silly, I thought this was the hand evaluation forum. Looking for an extra second or two could have helped there, haha.

Thanks agian, and next time i'll be sure to post there.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      You can't fold JJ against 20bb stack. Your way ahead of his range its just unlucky he had overpair this time.

If you call AJs preflop which is totally fine, but you can't fold TPGK to 1 bet. You also have a good and hidden backdoor nut flush draw that can give you more equity on the turn so you can call again and probably be able to stack him if you hit and he does have a very strong hand since idiots think you can never have a backdoor draw :)

He will also bet this flop almost 100% of the time he has air and probably shut down with his bluffs one you call him since when you call this flop your range is mainly an ACE and he won't try to bluff you out of it so if his kinda nitty and you don't turn a diamond you can fold it there.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      First hand it is fine to stack off there, you're ahead of his range and your odds are just too good.

Second hand definately call the flop. He's Cbetting there almost all the time, and you're ahead of the majority of his range. You're only behind AK, AA, KK, QQ, 44 and AQ. And his opening range from MP2 will be any pocket pair, A7s+ probably, ATo+ and some suited connectors.