Adjusting my HU opening range, thoughts?

• conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      hey. Ive been trying to adjust my game after a coaching session. I figure at the moment I'm playing too tight, so I have been playing around with pokerstove trying to construct opening ranges which are wide enough to pressure the opponent, while easy enough to play postflop that I do not cause problems on the flop and later streets.

this is what Ive come up with:
      btn open: 22+,A2s+,K7s+,Q8s+,J8s+,T9s,97s+,86s+,75s+,64s+,54s,A5o+,K9o+,Q9o+,JTo (31.8%)

this range has 47.4% equity versus the range below, which I expect most players will call me or 3bet with OOP:

22+,A2s+,K9s+,QTs+,JTs,T8s+,97s+,87s,76s,ATo+,KTo+,QTo+,JTo (22.5%)

is there any hands I should add or remove from the ranges above in your opinion? and if so , why? reverse implied odds aren't much of an issue as I have decent postflop skills at this stage.
  • 12 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Wait... you are talking about HU when you say you gonna open 31% of btns? :f_eek: :f_eek: :f_eek:
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      I think its enough. there is no reason not to be tight at small stakes HUNL. the aim of the game is to let people make mistakes imo. and then exploit it. ofc if i'm playing against someone who begins to raise more often, i'l adjust to them.

and yes, thats my btn open range. when I take into consideration all the hands I play OOP, i'm probably gonna have a VPIP of around 59, as opposed to the standardish 70-75%.

This is my general strategy BEFORE READS.

is villain a nit? > open wider
      is villain a station > stick to general strategy or open tighter depending on how stationy.

etc.

I was considering a looser range. this range has 44% eq vs the OOP range I posted above. Its also an option.

22+,A2s+,K5s+,Q6s+,J7s+,T7s+,97s+,86s+,75s+,64s+,A3o+,K7o+,Q8o+,J8o+,T8o+,98o,87o
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      If that works for you then cool I guess
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Originally posted by conall88
      the aim of the game is to let people make mistakes imo. and then exploit it.
      This is what I thought when first playing headsup small stakes but have come to realise that by applying pressure they make more mistakes much faster.

I tend to open atleast 70% of buttons even against the most stationary opp. (average abt 80%)

kicker problems are much less of a problem when you have position, in headsup play you have so much pot control when your on the button.
    • malosanmaka
      malosanmaka
      Bronze
      Originally posted by conall88
      and yes, thats my btn open range. when I take into consideration all the hands I play OOP, i'm probably gonna have a VPIP of around 59, as opposed to the standardish 70-75%.
      Do you ever complete the sb?
      Cause I'm pretty sure that its impossible to have 59 VPIP if you open only 32% btns (and fold 68%)

Because overall VPIP in HU is roughly (SB VPIP + BB VPIP) / 2. (if you play against someone raising/completing most buttons)
      With your SB range, you would need to have a crazy 80%+ VPIP on the BB/oop.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      true that, 70-75% vpip is not standard at all, I play 100%btns and defend quite a bit and I'm only ~65-70% vpip. Didn't see any regs go above that number.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      im talking VP_SB only. overall VPIP isnt very helpful as a statistic in HU imo. what is it going to tell you that VP_SB and BB call open isn't?

my overall VPIP is quite low actually, but ive been too nitty oop, and am trying to widen that range a bit too.
    • Confeti
      Confeti
      Silver
      Originally posted by jmackenzie

I tend to open atleast 70% of buttons even against the most stationary opp. (average abt 80%)

What's the point of that? He will call most of his hands and you don't have enough FE postflop, + the rake, + the hit and run factor I think is -EV to have a looser range against them.

VS calling stations I tend to raise a tighter range to 4bb instead of 3bb.

Regards
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      31% bu opens is a joke pls play me
    • acceleration123
      acceleration123
      Gold
      Open at least 70% by default imo. But ofc depends on the opponent, if he defends a lot tighten up. But your range is in general too tight. You can open any suited K or any suited Q,J imo. as well a lot of offsuited connectors, gappers etc.
    • belgianbeer
      belgianbeer
      Coach
      Coach
      By default in the 1st hand of the HU I try to open 100% in the BTN.
      The goal is to profile quickly your opponnent. Then you adapt your strategy.

After a few hands I can decrease my VPIP in BTN to 45-50% if the vilain is a big calling station or a real maniac. Bec even w/ a 45% range it will be mostly a range only for value.

IMO 30% is a lot too nity. Don't forget to add your FE in your calculation.
    • niveaformen
      niveaformen
      Diamond
      Conall88, u surely don't know power of position and u r looking it wrong.

If someone is defending BB 22.5% like u wrote, then by opening 3x every BTN u r making immediate profit.

I'm recommending to watch some theory coaching videos or google some articles.