[NL2-NL10] AK - was it correct move after the flop

• abundance211
      abundance211
      Bronze
      $.10-$.10 No Limit HE (Real)
      Seat 0: X_SkokE_X ($1.70 in chips)
      Seat 3: abundance211 ($1.85 in chips)
      Seat 4: Old-stara ($5.55 in chips)
      Seat 5: sarvan83 ($10.65 in chips) (on the button)
      Seat 7: Howdy07 ($9 in chips)
      Seat 8: SaNaRoSa ($14.75 in chips)
      *** Blind Bet Round *** :
      Howdy07 : Post Blind ($.05)
      SaNaRoSa : Post Blind ($.10)
      Dealt to abundance211: Ah, Ks

*** Pre-Flop *** :
      X_SkokE_X : Fold; abundance211 : Bet ($.50); Old-stara : Fold; sarvan83 : Call ($.50); Howdy07 : Fold; SaNaRoSa : Fold

*** Flop *** : Qs 2d 10h (pot: 1.15$, 2 players)
      abundance211 : Bet ($.70); sarvan83 : Raise ($1.40);

pot: 3.25$

abundance211 : Call ($.65 and is All In ($1.35)

*** Turn *** : [ Qs 2d 10h ] 6s

*** River *** : [ Qs 2d 10h 6s ] 7s

abundance211 - Shows [ Ah Ks ] (Ace high)
      sarvan83 - Shows [ 9h 10d ] (a pair of tens)

My comment: I bet 2/3 of pot after flop, as I raised PF and there was only 1 opp. He raised me but the pot at this stage was bigger than my remaining stack and I had 10 outs (3A, 3K, 4J).

was it correct?
  • 5 replies
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      I would push first in here. your stack is just slightly bigger than pot and 2/3 bet commits you, meaning that you have to call after reraise. with 2 overcards + gutshot you will have around 40% equity i guess + fold equity. given the odds you need to win in around 35% of the time. Therefore, push is better, since we maximize our fold equity.
    • abundance211
      abundance211
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot for the answer and also for the quick response.

And regarding the terms "equity" "fold equity" etc. Where I can find some reading and learning material about it? I hear these terms, have some vague idea about them, but would like to learn more about the subject.
    • Utahmar
      Utahmar
      Bronze
      10 out is very good for a push. I think fold equity is low on lower levels, they are curious, not folding a pair, or a draw.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      There was a silver article about equity, but i couldn`t find it, seems like it was removed. anyway,

Equity:
      player`s expected part of the pot. if there is 100$ in the pot and player has 50% chances to win -> his equity is 50%. for easier understanding equity=chances to win. If you watch poker on TV, you could notice that they have probabilities assigned to each hand - that is equity.

Fold equity:
      Simply fold equity is the marginal addinitional value you have in your hand from getting your opponents to fold their equity in the pot.

Example:

Stack: 14BB
      Pot: 14BB

you hold 77
      opponent holds KJ

Flop A Q 2

1) we need to figure out how often we have to win in this spot. For this we use simple formula to convert our pot odds to equity needed%. Pot odds are

14BB (pot) + 14BB (if he calls) / 14BB (our bet) = 2:1 -> we need to win in
      1 / (2 + 1) = 33% (need at least 33% equity)

2) Figure out what is our equity. For this we use Equilator or pokerstove.
      Normally, we assume opponents range and figure out our equity against it. (our chances to win)

3) You compare results... If your equity is bigger then you need -> move is correct.

Our equity in this example is 60%, but we also have additional fold equity here, since our opponent doesn`t know all his outs are clear. If he folds, we are getting his equity (40% of the pot) right there... So sometimes, if you don`t have enough equity, fold equity might cover the gap.

basically, whole process is comparing your odds with pot odds. But with the help of software, you can calculate things more accurate in terms of equity, therefore we use it.

feel free to ask any questions

link to equilator: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/software/6/
    • abundance211
      abundance211
      Bronze
      xylere, thanks again.

It took me some time and deeper looking into the material just to begin to have some slight idea. I downloaded the equilator and today I will spare some more time to learning this issue.

I enjoy very much reading your evaluations, but I also love reading your other writing. One thread/article which gave me inspiration was the one talking about your goals and your weekly report about. Keep the good work, because for sure I am going to go on and look for your stuff.

Merry Christmas