[NL2-NL10] NL 25 FR: overpair against push

• ccookie
      ccookie
      Bronze
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $62.35
      Hero:
      $23.35
      UTG+1:
      $35.33
      BB:
      $24.75

0.10/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T:club: , T:heart:
      UTG+1 calls $0.25, 3 folds, Hero raises to $1.00, 2 folds, SB calls $0.90, BB calls $0.75, UTG+1 calls $0.75.

Flop: ($4.00) 4:heart: , 6:club: , 3:club: (4 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $1, UTG+1 folds, Hero raises to $4.00, SB folds, BB raises to $23.75 (All-In), Hero raises to $22.35 (All-In).

Final Pot: $50.10

PartyPoker, NL25, 10-handed, full stacks. I found villain's (BB) line hard to believe: donkbet 1/4 pot on 2-flush board 4-way screams "I'm on a draw", either flush one or OESD (55, maybe A5).

His push after my raise tries to represent a set, but sets are not played this way on NL25 I think. (Other made hands - 2 pair or straight - are so unlikely on this board. I don't expect to see an overpair after this action either.)

There's just enough money in the pot for him to make moves, as he knows the flop did not help me.

So I called quickly expecting he'll show a flush draw / OESD way more often than a set.

Is this reasoning justified? (Without 2-flush on board, or on lower limit such as NL5, I'd fold easily.)
  • 3 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      If you put him on the move, then your call is right. On NL 10 I don´t see that kind of moves- so I put them on the set or straight and fold.

I would raise pre-flop 1,25$. Maybe that helps a little bit to your fold equity. 57s might be very attractive when you see 1 caller and believe that UTG also calls.
      You also have to keep mind that this is multiply pot, so his 1/4rd bet on the flop could mean monster or drawing hand. I might re-raise here 5$ to say that I have overpair and i´m willing to play for stacks. When he pushes then I´d fold:)
    • ccookie
      ccookie
      Bronze
      Thanks, I realize preflop raise size was a mistake. It was caused by multitabling: other tables respected my raises more so I reduced raise sizes. But for this table, given super-loose SB and loose UTG+1, I should have bet more.
      It would be a terrible play for villain to bet 1/4 pot with 57, even worse than with a set. So I kind of discounted that possibility, though on NL5 you see that a lot (maybe on NL10 too). Anyways, unlikely, there's only 4 hands like 57s.
      Reraising more on flop is another advice I expected, though not sure if mine was entirely incorrect. I have position. By putting more I encourage draws to fold i.e. avoid making a mistake, but sets will normally minraise me or cold call me, and then I'm the one making a difficult decision. (I might scare smaller overpairs with a big raise, too.)
    • Thorsten77
      Thorsten77
      Black
      I fold to his push - he to often has a set and even against a monster draw your hand does not look too good.