[NL2-NL10] 2 Very Similar Hands vs Maniac

• PokerPaulh
      PokerPaulh
      Bronze
      Hello again, I know that the way I have played the following two hands were not good, but I really didn't know what to do, as my opponent is a total maniac, so I think my hand is miles ahead both times. I don't have any specific questions regarding the hands but would appreciate some advice on what to do in similar situations.

Please note that although the villain's stats look reasonably normal, he is an absolute maniac fish. I have watched him lose three buy-ins, and he keeps re-loading (good stuff), but he has not shown down one decent hand. I have observed him bet, 3-bet, check/raise, double and triple-barrel, get it all-in with air. You name it, he does it!

Hand 1
      56 hands: Villain 23/13/2.3 - Hero 6/5/3.0

JOHNBRUBAKER (MP1): $1.98
      TERRAPIN7777 (MP2): $2.00
      OLDWOLF69 (CO): $0.36
      ILI81 (BTN): $1.94
      Hero (SB): $2.35
      ALLPOT4ME (BB): $2.50
      BREES09 (UTG): $4.83
      M_M_POKER (UTG+1): $1.22
      BLACEND (UTG+2): $1.96

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is SB with T:diamond: T:heart:
      3 folds, JOHNBRUBAKER raises to $0.07, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.06, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.16) J:spade: 4:club: 9:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, JOHNBRUBAKER bets $0.14, Hero calls $0.14

Turn: ($0.44) K:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, JOHNBRUBAKER bets $0.32, Hero calls $0.32

River: ($1.08) K:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, JOHNBRUBAKER bets $0.72, Hero calls $0.72

Hand 2
      76 hands: Villain 32/17/2.8 - Hero 9/5/1.0

JOHNBRUBAKER (BTN): $1.92
      FLOPALOTOFPU (SB): $2.00
      OLDWOLF69 (BB): $0.30
      ILI81 (UTG): $2.01
      Hero (UTG+1): $2.09
      ALLPOT4ME (UTG+2): $2.42
      BREES09 (MP1): $6.81
      M_M_POKER (MP2): $1.38
      BLACEND (CO): $4.89

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is UTG+1 with T:heart: T:club:
      1 fold, Hero raises to $0.08, 4 folds, JOHNBRUBAKER calls $0.08, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.19) 5:spade: J:diamond: 3:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.12, JOHNBRUBAKER raises to $0.26, Hero calls $0.14

Turn: ($0.71) Q:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, JOHNBRUBAKER bets $0.56, Hero calls $0.56

River: ($1.83) 7:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, JOHNBRUBAKER bets $1.02 all in, Hero calls $1.02
  • 3 replies
    • diversfx
      diversfx
      Silver
      In both cases there are 2 over cards 2 your pr and 2 flush draws simple fold.Let them steal the small pots,take it all back when you have it. Remember It's not personal let someone else be sheriff.
    • PokerPaulh
      PokerPaulh
      Bronze
      Thank you for your advice, I can now see that folding is the most sensible option, however at the time of play, I was as sure as can be that the villain was tilting and betting away his stack with nothing. Just for your amusement here is how both hands ended up:

Hand 1

Final Pot: $2.52
      JOHNBRUBAKER shows K:diamond: A:club: (Three of a kind, kings)
      Hero mucks T:diamond: T:heart:
      JOHNBRUBAKER wins $2.40
      (Rake: $0.12) :(

Hand 2

Final Pot: $3.87
      JOHNBRUBAKER shows 2:club: 2:diamond: (One pair, twos)
      Hero shows T:heart: T:club: (One pair, tens)
      Hero wins $3.68
      (Rake: $0.19) :D

As you can see I made a profit overall from these two hands. Losing the first one would have made it a losing session, but coming out on top in the second one made it a winning session, so I was happy with that.
      Incidentally I finished the session and saw the villain lose six buy-ins, and he was still "playing" when I left the table.
      Don't tap the aquarium, right? :f_p:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello PokerPaulh,

First of all, please don't most more hand 1 hand into 1 thread, it's a lot easier to evaluate for us and concentrate on one hand. If you want to link them somehow then just mention in next thread.

About the play:
      Hand #1
      As I called it on flop then I'd definitely give it up on turn, I don't think so that even a maniac would pick such a line very often with bluff. And it's too low limit to try catching bluffs there. Just fold and play solid poker.

Hand #2
      Once again, just playing with your money. Unless you have a good reason to do that, I'd rather prefer to fold it right on flop. And wait for better spot. And with your given reads you might peel once on flop but I'd give it up on turn still. There are still 2 overcards and way too risky. It's a lot safer to save the money and wait for better spot, if he is such a maniac I am pretty sure we will find them.

And as you saw, at one hand you lost a lot and in one hand you somehow managed to win, but why not take such a spot like with TP? We would be in much better shape and don't have to make hero calls with weak pair. Therefore just wait for a hand and let pay out then. :)

Best regards.