Sng player, micro

• dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      So i've decided to challenge myself to move up the stakes of 9 man sng's....

Pokerstrategy gave me another starting capital on full tilt and being the idiot i am, entered a $36 super turbo, weirdly enough i won it and so have $150..good enough to start at micro stakes and try to make something of it

anyway im gonna post results every 100 sngs to see how i go..

Current BR: $154.72
      SNG Buyin: $2.25
      Completed: 0

wish me luck :)
  • 9 replies
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      Okay so things arent going well after 50 sng's...

I would love to call it variance, i mean Ace's versus A8 got me knocked out in 4th, i had the aces...i've been running into players slowplaying monsters as well. i raise pre with AQ and get called. Flop comes Q85 rainbow against one opponent and he just calls my conti-bet, next card 10 and by this stage i m looking to get max value only to run into KK...

Other times tho, im calling off players with QQ on a flop A62.. I knew he had it but the blinds were so high in relation to my stack i made a stupid call...

Anyway, after 50 normal speed $2 sng's im gonna try turbo's for my next 50. It seems top shark arent tracking all of my sng's for some reason, only tracked 11 so here's my stats as follows.

Current bankroll: $143.72
      Sng's played: 50
      Roi: too embarrassed to say :(

I was 6-tabling for the first 36, then reduced it to 4 and seem to be doing better so im gonna stick to that from now on at least. I havent lost much, and starting to get used to the format more which has helped. If only rake didnt exist i would be a breakeven player but ah well.

Anyway, update soon when i play 100
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      We're not gonna judge you for your ROI. Plus, I already calculated what it is anyway :P Things'll turn around.
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      Ok need a bit of advice...entered a satellite for the FTOPS satellite to #44 for 100 ftp's and won... the next satellite is on tommorow night at 19:00 WT but has 3650ftps entry fee...should i play the event or just cash in on the ftp's

please give some advice here

• evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      well depends - are the points important to you? ie will you ever use them to buy anything? If you do enter and win, what do you get? a whole bunch more points? or acutal cash. how conifedent are you of winning? To me the ultimate goal is to increase your bankrole - so I would probably not play it and use the points to buy entry into something that may bring cash (daily dollars ticket, steps etc).
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      thanks evertonroar...

your probably right...its a satellite event to the FTOPS #44, the event itself has over 1 million to the winner, wont ever happen though...satellite will probz have about 1000 entrants with 52 so far getting a seat.. thats top 5% and on top of that there seems to be a lot of pros entering and high stakes players because of the value for money.

.im not confident at all in having any sort of edge over them and will need to get very lucky to get a seat. So i may just decide to buy a few tournament tickets.. just hard to let this one go as the satellite would be a lot of fun

:P
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dogma18

Roi: too embarrassed to say :(

over 50 games you should not be concerning yourself with things like ROI. it's too small a sample
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      Yeah ur too right lol

Just need to get over this short term mindset i have
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      I've been reading other blogs and mine could do with a better introduction, so here goes.. Im a student currently studying economics in my first year.

Started playing poker when i was 17, went onto pokerstars and built my BR from scratch on freerolls, got it upto $70 at one point.. Then my poor BRM lost it stupidly. I done this again, building it upto $180 before the same problem occured...It always happens, i go on a downswing and cant recover..Then i found pokerstrategy and used the $50 to start on partypoker, tbh i cant stand the site. the traffic is so poor at times and the software isnt great. Anyway i'd actually played quite a lot on party and got gold status here so pokerstrategy offered me a second $50 on full tilt. This is where im beginning from.

Im trying to read up on sng strategy as much as i can, im a winning player under my old username ''kanabal18'', at sngs and i hope i can continue this and build on it...

Ok heres how things are going;
      My Form:
      Ok disappointment doesnt fully explain it...its like a cant get things to go my way when i really need it to. Just finished my 100th sng, haha got KK in BB, small blind pushes all in with JJ, jack falls on river, cant really complain, bit of a cooler, but that double up would have put me in a great position to take it down.

So i recovered from my slight downswing during the first 50 sng's which i was happy with, seems the turbos work out a lot better for me, i dont lose concentration as easily :)

So heres how things stand

Sng level: $2.25
      Sng's played: 100
      Current bankroll: $163.15

Im happy enough with the way i played, but i really need to stop pushing with Ace-x near the bubble, i think its a +ev play but i always run in to a higher kicker, really frustating..also im struggling with medium pairs when blinds are high, seem too good to fold so i have a hard decision. any advice would be helpful :)

Im gonna enter a $10 tourney each sunday night sponsered by pokertube $200 added, just a side bit of fun to take a break from sng's..

I'll try and get hopefully another 100 completed within the next 3 days, hope things go well
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      Thought i'd show a quick update of my stats of sharkscope

Didnt really pla much this weekend, had drinking to be doing :D

Sngs's played: 122
      Avg profit: $1
      Avg stake: $2
      Avg ROI: 5%
      Total Profit: $109

Im actually really annoyed with my form...im overplaying a lot of big hands postflop..I raise with KK, get one call and im out of position...flop comes AJ5 rainbow..what do i do here check-fold effective stacks around 2000, blinds 75/150

anyway i c-bet and get called, then check fold turn. I know im exploitable, he could be floating, but everytime i think this, they arent so im gonna just put this down problems with playing OOP.

Other than that, i cant seem to win a race.. I also have a tactic on the bubble to tighten up a lot unless im short stack. that way im cashing a lot because people are playing to many hands.. however say im 3rd out of 4 (top 3 get paid) its happened so many times, the shortstack becomes invincable, winning every coin flip, even coming from behind..I know theres nothing i can do about this, but i've came 4th so many times and thats the difference profit and loss sometimes..

Anyway gonna grind a load more sngs to get this downswing outta the way, its a bitch at times

Current BR:$162.10 really annoyed of what i think is variance preventing me from beating this game :(

Unless im doing things wrong at $2 sngs in which case might just cut my losses