This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Fish in a NL steak (NL10/NL25 SH BSS)

• Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      :diamond: Introduction:

For those who don't know me yet, I am a 20 year old computer science student from Slovenia, a former pokerstrategy FL voluntary hand judge and a former pokerstrategy moderator.

:diamond: Poker:

Pokerwise, I've played mostly FL with decent success in the past, some SNGs at which I was mostly breakeven and some MTTs at which i suck ;) . I've taken a break from the poker carreer in the middle of August 2010 as I've encountered a too big of a FL downswing, (I believe it was something like 800BB) which totally took away my desire to play poker.

Later on I've got a pretty well paid temporary job (like 15€/hour + work at home, no downswings ;) ) and made quite a few thousand € with it, spent most of it on more or less useful stuff, now I have some left and I realized that the only way for me not to spend all my money is to put some in the poker account... I do not have much time on my hands (perhaps 1-2 hours of free time a day) due to university and personal life, however I shall try to play an hour or two of poker a day if possible (and study my game a bit whenever possible).

Now I've decided to give NL BSS a try as I've never really played it, I have a BR that is sufficient for NL25, but until I am confident enough in my game, I should probably stick to NL10. I do remember some stuff from FL so it shouldn't take long for me to adapt to NL, there is of course a difference in ranges and bet sizing, but most of the basic concepts are pretty much the same (equity, fold equity, odds, outs, implied odds, etc). I will play at everest poker, the software is so-so, the players are rather bad and the traffic is ok.

:diamond: Goals until the end of February:

-Play at least 5k hands
      -End the month up
      -Prepare my game for NL25 in March
      -Get involved in the hand evaluation section

If you have any tips for me regarding NL BSS, go ahead and write them down ;) . I will post some graphs/hands here when I have some time, and if anyone that plays similar limits wishes to contact me, here is my poker skype account: b-boy-fire
  • 1 reply
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze

Just played a quite interesting short session with some dumb/interesting hands.

Firstly, a hand to justify my name:

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
      SB ($10.44)
      BB ($10.57)
      Hero ($9.70)
      CO ($10)
      BTN ($6.20)

Dealt to Hero A:club: K:spade:

Hero raises to $0.35, fold, BTN calls $0.35, fold, BB calls $0.25

FLOP ($1.10) 7:club: 9:diamond: A:diamond:

BB checks, Hero bets $0.75, BTN calls $0.75, BB calls $0.75

TURN ($3.35) 7:club: 9:diamond: A:diamond: 4:club:

BB checks, Hero bets $2, BTN folds, BB raises to $9.35, Hero calls $6.60 (AI)

RIVER ($20.55) 7:club: 9:diamond: A:diamond: 4:club: 6:spade:

BB shows 8:club: T:club:
      (Pre 39%, Flop 36.4%, Turn 31.8%)

Hero shows A:club: K:spade:
      (Pre 61%, Flop 63.6%, Turn 68.2%)

BB wins $19.55

However I look at it, there is no way I can make that call on the turn. Oponnent seemed to be a reg/TAG, not much info on him though, only like 300 hands and no reads. It's usually 2pair+ if not even a set with this line. Despite my luck at his actual holdings the ironic river brought me the punishment I deserved. But the results aren't important, my play was bad and I shall not play TPTK like quads anymore... It's FL's fault, bet bet bet :D .

Alright, the second hand:

Hero ($9.90)
      BB ($10.16)
      BTN ($10.02)

Dealt to Hero J:spade: 9:heart:

fold, Hero raises to $0.30, BB calls $0.20

FLOP ($0.60) Q:diamond: 2:diamond: 3:heart:

Hero bets $0.30, BB calls $0.30

TURN ($1.20) Q:diamond: 2:diamond: 3:heart: A:diamond:

Hero bets $0.70, BB raises to $2, Hero folds

BB wins $2.44

I played this according to the SHC preflop, but I'll tighten up a bit in SB in the future. The flop is probably not that bad for cbetting, although I don't know why I only bet 50%, I usually cbet around 75% on draw heavy boards. Turn seemed like a good scare card but of course there is no way for me to continue after getting raised.

Moving on...

SB ($10.03)
      BB ($5)
      UTG ($11.41)
      Hero ($9.85)
      BTN ($8.25)

Dealt to Hero Q:diamond: J:diamond:

fold, Hero raises to $0.35, BTN calls $0.35, fold, fold

FLOP ($0.85) T:diamond: 8:club: 5:heart:

Hero bets $0.50, BTN calls $0.50

TURN ($1.85) T:diamond: 8:club: 5:heart: K:diamond:

Hero bets $1, BTN calls $1

RIVER ($3.85) T:diamond: 8:club: 5:heart: K:diamond: A:diamond:

Hero bets $2.40, BTN raises to $6.40 (AI), Hero raises to $8 (AI)

Hero shows Q:diamond: J:diamond:
      (Pre 67%, Flop 37.3%, Turn 45.5%)

BTN shows 8:spade: 9:heart:
      (Pre 33%, Flop 62.7%, Turn 54.5%)

Hero wins $15.65

Is there anything nicer than a runner runner royal flush and a fish paying you off with a 4th pair :D ?

Last but not least, a 4bet attempt:

SB ($11.01)
      BB ($13.05)
      UTG ($6.28)
      UTG+1 ($10.25)
      CO ($18.52)
      Hero ($9.98)

Dealt to Hero A:spade: Q:club:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.35, fold, BB raises to $1, Hero raises to $3.05, fold

Hero shows A:spade: Q:club:

Hero wins $2.05

Not many hands on this guy, his tendency was towards TAG though. I'm not sure whether the 4bet was correct, but I decided to stop being a pussy and start playing a bit more agressively (3bet and 4bet more preflop), I would fold to the shove I guess. I decided to 4bet because he could easily be 3betting me lightly BB vs BU to resteal. What do you know, it worked... But I'm not sure if it was a correct play. I can't really call it a bluff 4bet as AQ isn't exactly trash, but vs his 5betting range it's still crushed.

That's it for today, I probably won't be playing during the weekend so expect some more updates next week ;) . And please do comment on my fishhands, I really do need to improve my game.