[NL2-NL10] overpairs and open enders

• muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Here are three examples at the same game within 1 hr of playing. I am stacking everytime. What am I meant to do? Raise/fold flop, bet/fold flop. Check/call flop,bet fold turn. Jam the flop? Totally lost.

Surely my opponents can fastplay TPTK on two streets or their own draws? Also surely I cannot play these hands passively all the time by wimping out to players leading out to me. Won't I be folding the best hand too often?

lets talk about our opponents as unkowns or how to play against specific player types please, since I did not have enough hands to make reliable reads with stats.

Pacific Poker - $0.10 NL - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

BB: $5.06
      Hero (UTG): $10.10
      MP: $6.00
      CO: $3.47
      BTN: $20.95
      SB: $24.55

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has Q:spade: Q:club:

Hero raises to $0.40, MP calls $0.40, fold, fold, SB calls $0.35, fold

Flop: ($1.30, 3 players) J:spade: 9:club: T:spade:
      SB bets $1.30, Hero calls $1.30, MP calls $1.30

Turn: ($5.20, 3 players) 6:diamond:
      SB bets $5.20, Hero raises to $8.40, fold, SB calls $3.20

River: ($22.00, 2 players) 5:club:

Hero shows Q:spade: Q:club: (One Pair, Queens) (PreFlop 81%, Flop 35%, Turn 23%)
      SB shows 9:heart: 9:spade: (Three of a Kind, Nines) (PreFlop 19%, Flop 65%, Turn 77%)
      SB wins $20.90

MP: $7.17
      Hero (CO): $10.00
      BTN: $13.45
      SB: $2.58
      BB: $11.53
      UTG: $12.92

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has K:heart: K:club:

UTG raises to $0.35, MP calls $0.35, Hero raises to $1.30, fold, fold, fold, UTG calls $0.95, MP calls $0.95

Flop: ($4.05, 3 players) Q:heart: J:heart: T:spade:
      UTG bets $3.00, fold, Hero raises to $8.70, UTG calls $5.70

Turn: ($21.45, 2 players) 3:diamond:

River: ($21.45, 2 players) 5:club:

Hero shows K:heart: K:club: (One Pair, Kings) (PreFlop 81%, Flop 35%, Turn 23%)
      UTG shows J:spade: J:diamond: (Three of a Kind, Jacks) (PreFlop 19%, Flop 65%, Turn 77%)
      UTG wins $20.38

BTN: $7.52
      Hero (SB): $11.42
      BB: $7.20
      UTG: $2.68
      MP: $11.88
      CO: $12.01

Hero posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has 9:diamond: 9:spade:

fold, MP raises to $0.35, fold, BTN calls $0.35, Hero raises to $1.20, BB calls $1.10, fold, fold

Flop: ($3.10, 2 players) 6:spade: 7:heart: 8:diamond:
      Hero bets $1.90, BB calls $1.90

Turn: ($6.90, 2 players) A:club:
      Hero bets $8.32, BB calls $4.10

River: ($15.10, 2 players) 4:heart:

Hero shows 9:diamond: 9:spade: (One Pair, Nines) (PreFlop 80%, Flop 80%, Turn 86%)
      BB shows 2:club: 5:club: (Straight, Eight High) (PreFlop 20%, Flop 20%, Turn 14%)
      BB wins $14.35
  • 4 replies
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      First hand:

It's very difficult to lay it down but you shouldn't think how strong your hand was preflop but how it developed after flop. When he bets first in pot size - that's super strong. If you call him you must think about further actions. He's probably not drawing and since you bet from utg his range is probably very polarized. KQ is probably not in his range. Why he bets so much? He wants to protect his hand I only see three hands that he can have - TT, 99 or if he's a bad player KQ (with JJ he would probably give you more action preflop).
      While calling the flop is ok in my opinion, pot size bet on turn is definitely a fold in my opinion because we're beat most of the time here.

Second hand:

Again we have very similar situation. Preflop play was played correctly.
      Flop comes very drawy and he wants to protect his hand. Again, what is he beting with? AKh he's probably c/raising you. With AA,AK,QQ, JJ he wants to get it in as soon as possible. Despite everything written I'm not sure I could fold it I probably wouldn't. I know in future when something like this happens my alarm bells will go wild...wait a minute why is he doing this? Now I'm smart but I agree it's very hard fold here.

Third hand:

Preflop everything correct again.
      Flop play is also fine, I would bet a bit more like $2,10 so everything goes in on turn.
      Turn play: I see your point - you're representing A here but you could do it better here with normal bet since shoving actually looks weaker (I see he has just 2/3 of pot left but shoving still looks weaker to me). Also his range is TT+ and AK when he just flats you preflop.

I hope you made some notes about this opponents.

Good luck man :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello muel294,

Please don't post so many hands into one thread, you are just making our life 10x harder. Imagine someone posting like 100 hands into one thread, it would take long long time to evaluate and write the evaluation. And we would just skip most of the evaluation and not write the exact one. Therefore if you want to get good evaluations then post 1 hand per thread and I would also recommend it doing that. Thanks! And if you want to mention something about the hand or previous hand, you can always link them. ;) And didn't I mention that already? :D

About the play:
      Hand #1
      For the reason that we might be far ahead or far behind I'd also Call it on flop. But as played turn is a easy fold, you don't beat much there anymore.

Hand #2
      3Bet pot and nothing much you can do there differently. Nice hand!

Hand #3
      Pretty standard.

Best regards.
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Thanks guys

sorry about the multiple posts just thought the examples illustrate similar situations.

Hand #1 For the reason that we might be far ahead or far behind I'd also Call it on flop. But as played turn is a easy fold, you don't beat much there anymore.

easy fold on the turn since we expect him to slow down w/ top pair type hands or semi bluffs that dont make it on the turn. If he is very loose and aggressive can we be fairly confident he will barrell again with these hands though?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by muel294
      Thanks guys

sorry about the multiple posts just thought the examples illustrate similar situations.

Hand #1 For the reason that we might be far ahead or far behind I'd also Call it on flop. But as played turn is a easy fold, you don't beat much there anymore.

easy fold on the turn since we expect him to slow down w/ top pair type hands or semi bluffs that dont make it on the turn. If he is very loose and aggressive can we be fairly confident he will barrell again with these hands though?
      Yep very likely. Take also into account that he did that 1st into multiway pot. And then potting the turn, I rarely see him doing that with just Jx or any kind of draw.