moving up limits and winrates...(sng)

• Leito99
      Alright here is a hypothetical situation.. (its actually what i am in but dnt want to write this in a selfcentred way, just want a discussion on it)
      this is actually for superturbos but can apply to any type of sng really.. and cash games as well actually

You play 1000 sngs on the $5.5 level and achieve an amazing ROI of 17% (EV 12%) wand getting an hourly rate of $24 (EV $14) and all is going well

And then you decide to move up to the $11's
      You play 500 games and you're breaking even with an hourly of 50 cents when you could have made some good $$ on the previous level

What is your best option now?

go back to the previous level so that you're growing you're still growing yoor BR and try find leaks in your game and ways to improve and then move back up
      stay on the higher level where you're breaking even and finding leaks would be probably easier

or whatever other option you can suggest

(also maybe these are small samples... what if the samples were ten times this?)
  • 7 replies
    • evertonroar
      i will take option number two. The money is rolling in at this level but you cant yet beat the next level. So you need to find the leaks first.

some options within the options - play at the $5.50s but as your game improves take shots at the higher limit

- play at the 5.50s with the sole aim of making cash to buy books, memberships etc that will help you take the steps to the next level
    • Targetme
      for me I move back down but im a nit
    • stevegold87
      Easy answer for me.

Definitely you stick to the 11$ for the following reason

1) Sample size, 500 is kind of small if you are BE it's most likely that you will be able to eventually beat the limit, therefore you want to stick there because when you start the upswing it will be x2 bigger than on 5.5

2) 11 is harder than 5$ therefore you will learn to play with harder regs and it will make your game better.

Make sure you study your game and find any leaks possible post hand eval etc.

The only reason to move back down is BRM.

If after 5000 games you are still making hourly 15 cents....then I guess you should move down...? (Not sure how it's possible to make 15 cents except if you have 0.5% roi or something)
    • evertonroar
      thought about this again. guess the main question is how important is the income to you. ie do you need the money to pay bills (or buy beer)? if so then sown the 5.5s for me
    • MatejM47
      Originally posted by evertonroar
      thought about this again. guess the main question is how important is the income to you. ie do you need the money to pay bills (or buy beer)? if so then sown the 5.5s for me
      You really don't have to worry about paying your bills as long as you don't run out of beer :)

More on topic, if you want improve your game in any type of poker really, you definitely can't do it playing NL2 fishes or 1$ SNGs. Playing better opponents on higher limits will improve your game a lot faster then taking money from total donkeys on micros.

Im not really an expert on SNGs but i don't think 500 or 1000 sngs is a good enough sample since the variance in SNGs is pretty huge.
    • Leito99
      I am running out of beer money very soon so it's tempting to move down..

I had 50c hourly because I was a bit better than B/E but I was still disappointed comparing to the lower level

I know what I will do now for sure

I will stay on this limit but I need to look for things I can do better

And I am sure that staying is much better now as it forces you to look for improvement instead of mindlessly grinding without thinking

In my case, now i will start marking players which i wasn't doing before, so ye, keep improving!
      This isn't really improving my game but still...

It's still interesting to see what are people's opinions on this!
      : ))
    • Ave27
      it would depend on what your goal is. Are you more focused on improving your game or grinding out money. if money is ur only goal move down and find ur leaks, it will be slower but ur still making the money.

if ur your focused on improving your game stay at $11. its a harder level you'll improve faster playing harder opponents and your break even so with some more experience and skill you'll start winning.

i'd prob stick to the $11