Be the First Filipino Online Poker Pro

• YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      Hi guys!

I'd like to start this blog as a way to keep track of myself and as a source of motivation towards achieving my new dream - to become the first Filipino Online Poker Pro.

I started playing poker just last August when I saw the WSOP episode in ESPN. I noticed that there were people who won the tournament several times despite the huge number of people in the tournament. So I thought, if Poker is simply gambling based on luck, there's no way for them to win repeatedly. So I made a bit of research and it says that you need skill. I'm very competitive in nature and I have this principle in life that if someone can do it, hey, there's all the reason I can do it because someone has already done it!

I said I want to become the 1st Filipino Poker Pro because as of the moment, there's no one from our country who has yet to make a name in poker - as far as I know.

I started playing real money last October 2010. Deposited my first $50 in PokerStars. Busted it as I made it my experimentation phase. Deposited another $100 and now it's around $800, playing solely multi-table tournaments of atleast 90 players at the micro limits.

I also have an account right now in Party Poker. From $50, it became $230 through cash games. Then it went down back to $160. I decided cash games is not really for me as several players play for luck and I easily get tilt. So I shifted to focusing on playing single table tournaments there at $3 for now.

--------------------------

Here are my goals:
      By end year 2011, to accumulate a bankroll of $100,000 - a bit farfetched but hey, it's a goal and it's what I'm aiming for! ^_^

PokerStars - Account Name: NeEhs
      • Will focus on Multi-Table NL HoldEm Tournaments, starting at the Micros and moving up to the High Limits

PartyPoker - Account Name: YinYangS
      • Will mostly focus on 1-Table Sit$Go Tournaments starting on $3
      • Will only move up if I have 100 times the buy-in for the next level
      • Will study the feasibility of playing multi-table tournaments in these site (any suggestions? is the tourney here easier to win?)

-------------------------

A bit more about me:

• I am 21 years old.
      • I live in Davao, Philippines
      • I am a Filipino (if there are other Filipinos out there, I'd be more than happy to interact with you guys and share thoughts)
      • I'm single. (It would probably be nice to have a hot poker pro girlfriend. hahaha ^_^)
      • I am a Dreamer. ^_^

----------------------------------
  • 41 replies
    • Phgrinder
      Phgrinder
      Bronze
      i think there's three of us already. been playing for almost two years now, and you can check the blog of purplefizz she's from manila as well.

good luck
    • kenthmp
      kenthmp
      Bronze
      +1 guy from the Phils. I am donking around the 6max NL5.
    • YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      hahaha. nice to hear from you guys! ^_^ good luck dudes! if you ever drops by in davao, tell me ok? ^_^
    • YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      had a good run today.

PartyPoker - Started with $160, Ended with $204.
      • Profit all from $3 1-Table Sit&Go, grinding them ^_^

PokerStars - Started with $519, Ended with $514
      • Joined the $11 $250k guaranteed, lost mid-way
      • Played mostly $1.40 90 Player KnockOut and 90cents, recouping my losses a bit

This time, my goal is to earn $50 a day.

I'll resist my hunger for now to play more larger field scheduled tourneys as it hurts my bankroll.

Woohoo! Good luck to me! ^_^
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      halloooo and good luck kababayan!!! nice goal there, hope u succeed.
      unahan tayo. hehe...
      actually aside from us (real Filipinos) there's also a "Philippine crew" (europeans) from pokerstrategy living in Cebu now (actually having dinner with dwyt atm). check out their blog as well.

actually there's lots of pros and popular tourney players whom i watch on tv in the Filipino Poker Tour (altho that's live, not online). maybe someday i'll watch u there too... try pkr sometime, the volume is really bad but they have the softest satellites to the Asian Poker Tour (usually held in either Manila or Cebu). oh wait, sorry, just read u play only single tables now.

i think its pretty hard to have a money goal. its practically a recipe for disappointment... nothing to do with ur skills or anything. but variance is a b*tch...

dwyt, ken: dumadami na tayo dito noh? :tongue:
    • YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by purplefizz
      halloooo and good luck kababayan!!! nice goal there, hope u succeed.
      unahan tayo. hehe...
      actually aside from us (real Filipinos) there's also a "Philippine crew" (europeans) from pokerstrategy living in Cebu now (actually having dinner with dwyt atm). check out their blog as well.

actually there's lots of pros and popular tourney players whom i watch on tv in the Filipino Poker Tour (altho that's live, not online). maybe someday i'll watch u there too... try pkr sometime, the volume is really bad but they have the softest satellites to the Asian Poker Tour (usually held in either Manila or Cebu). oh wait, sorry, just read u play only single tables now.

i think its pretty hard to have a money goal. its practically a recipe for disappointment... nothing to do with ur skills or anything. but variance is a b*tch...

dwyt, ken: dumadami na tayo dito noh? :tongue:

thanks kababayan!!

i only play single tables at Party Poker. then multi-table at PokerStars.

thanks for suggesting pkr. i'd love to play on a big live tourney at the same time travel. but i still have a lot to work on my live playing skills. hehe

woohoo!
    • dochazard
      dochazard
      Bronze
      Hey, Pinoys on Pokerstrategy! Nice to hook up with you guys!

Good luck YinYang! Agree with purplefizz about the money goal thing... have you read Poker Mindset? Great book.

I'm playing small fry around the PS, FTP, and PartyPoker STTs at micro. BR up and down, but I can't say I really play that much online. More of a live player here in Manila, but even then, only a serious casual player. Prefer tourneys as well, as I don't have enough time to play CGs to beat the rake, variance, and villain donk plays.

There are quite a number of Pinoy online pros who grind MTT and/or CG tables for a living. No one yet past NL200, I think. Although I did hear a rumor about a local Supernova on Stars who actually bought the Porsche... ;)
    • Phgrinder
      Phgrinder
      Bronze
      i actually went past NL200 at one point last year and donked it all off playing NL2000 hahahaha

its good to know that there are a lot of us now. good luck to us and hopefully we'll have one who will be crushing the high stakes soon!

i think it would be yinyang since plays MTT and one big score is all he needs. me and wendy are rebuilding bankrolls now. I'm pretty lazy but hopefully i can get back up to NL100 by the end of the year.. hopefully hehehe
    • Ash05
      Ash05
      Global
      when i first read the topic, i thought it was some kind of contest/challenge and i wanted to insta enter, since i have plans to turn pro anyways, lol

will deffo follow your blog, this will be interesting. good luck on reaching your goal.

i dont know if it counts, but i am a filipino born and raised in austria (europe) ;)
      played professionally already for almost a year (plo cash up to 1k) and will turn pro again latest in summer this year.

ingat, regards from vienna
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      yeah ash is way up there already :D
      [ ] first coach of filipino community?

dwyt seriously? NL2000? crazy! haha...
      [ ] ihufa brm? (if u know ihufa)

im more interested in rebuilding my knowledge (didnt donk off most of my roll at least :D so it was still there where i left it) but i feel pretty much incapable of playing decently after few years break... trying hard to beat the laziness bug myself...
    • YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      wow, i'm happy to see more Filipinos replying to my thread. ^_^

i woke up at 5:20 in the morning and went jogging for some exercise. it's now 7am, and i'm ready to grind some micro MTT's. woohoo! ^_^

good morning everyone! good luck! =)
    • Phgrinder
      Phgrinder
      Bronze
      if we get enough players, we might be able to start a homegame on pokerstars hahaha
    • YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dwyt84
      if we get enough players, we might be able to start a homegame on pokerstars hahaha
      that's a great idea! and because of that, I created a club! ^_^
      please join!

Club Name: Pinoy_Club
      Club ID: 303005
      Password: 12345678

I hope we could get enough pinoy members. Please invite everyone that you know! ^_^

Go Pinoys!
    • YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      Had a good run today with my PokerStars MTT grinding.

Played 20 $1.40, 90 Player Knockout and got in the money in 10 of them. With one 1st Place. Several sad bad beats.

On my last tourney left, I have big stack and has a good chance with winning, 6 players left. Had this sad bad beat.
      • On the Cutoff, 30k chips player limped. I am on BB with K9.
      • Flop - A K K
      • I checked. Limper/Cutoff bets 1,200. I reraised to 3,000.
      • He shoved all-in. I called.
      • He showed K4.
      • On the turn hits the devastating dumb 4.
      • Me - out of the tourney at 6th. =(

When I get bad beat, I immediately enters his name at Official Poker Rankings to check the stats of this fish. Knowing that he is a fish, it always relieves me a bit to see that he has negative ROI - a perfect description for a fish. The last guy who bad beat me has -37% ROI. Oh yeah! Lose more money man while I enjoy winning because of good decisions! ^_^

So with that, today, I profited $34 playing MTT's.

I'll rest a bit and grind some $3 Sit$Gos at PartyPoker later and achieve my $50 quota for the day.

Woohoo! ^_^
    • YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      I'd like to share more about why I decided to pursue a poker career.

Right now, I'm 21 years old. Before poker, I had been on a network marketing business for more than a year. I earned a lot there but at the same time, several expenses, so in the end, got no savings. When I stumbled with WSOP on TV, I studied poker and thought it definitely suits my personality and was thinking of having a new career for a change.

• I love math. In highschool, I was a math wizard and even had a chance to went to China to compete. Poker pretty much has a lot of numbers going on so I got hooked to it.
      • When I read the strategy articles, I thought, "Hey, I know I have discipline and patience. Because of that, I know I can outsmart those guys who are undiscplined and impatient. Hahaha. ^_^"
      • I'm someone who does not want to work for someone. I want to have freedom of time. Playing poker gives me the flexibility of time. I relax when I want to. Play when I want to.
      • I always want to be unique. I don't want to go with the flow, becoming an employee and living life in front of the desk. I want to explore.
      • I graduated as a valedictorian in high school. People are usually puzzled why a valedictorian like me is now a gambler. I'm hoping that people would soon view poker differently not as gambling but as a sport and strategy game. I have the brains and thought why not use it in poker - and at the same time I'm having fun. And also, I'm proud to say I'm one of the few 21 year olds out there who are already earning quite well. ^_^
      • I can earn more than an average employee here in the Philippines considering that I'm still at the micro limits. What more in the mid and high limits? booyyaahhh! can't wait for it! ^_^
      • Through poker, I hope to achieve my dream of traveling the world. Playing in different countries, meeting people, that's a great life and I'm excited of it.

Since I now know how to play poker, there's one thing that I realized. Worse comes to worse, even if I have 500 pesos ($10) left at my wallet, I could turn that into hundreds of dollars in PokerStars. wahahaha! =)

Woohoo! ^_^
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Hey,

May i suggest you review your goals? Now ofc it is important to set some long-term goals, and hope one day you'll be playing HU against the top pros on the world... but...

Can i advise you not to set money-term goals? Those can easily lead you to frustration. And i'm not telling about the $100k at the end of the year (who knows wtf can happen?), but i'm concerned about that daily $50.

This daily $50 can easily towards you into bad playing just because you haven't reached your goal, or overplaying, or anything that is not focusing on your game, but rather on your results.
    • Lindberg789
      Lindberg789
      Bronze
      Hey.
      Nice blog you have going.
      I might advice you not to have money goals for every day, it's okay longterm but shortterm you can't possible benefit from having does, especially if you think you can actually keep them.
      Mtt's are too swingy for you to steady win 50 $ each days. You will make $ in the longrun but not each day. I noticed you had 10 itm for 20 games and only 1 win, I know it's a small sample but might make sure you are aiming for first and not trying to come itm.

My 2 cents. Keep up the good work.

Regards Lindberg789
    • YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      Really thanks for the advise. Since several people has already told me not to set money goals, I would follow it. ^_^

Alright, no money daily goals for me.

I think it's better to set a goal of simply making the best decision in every hand.

Again, thanks a lot! ^_^
    • YinYangS
      YinYangS
      Bronze
      Played $3 1-Table Sit&Gos at PartyPoker this night. I'm a negative profit of $4.

I admit I made some bad calls. Probably not concentrated enough. Anyway, I'm still happy to end the day with a profit. ^_^

So good night guys! ^_^