Made my first final table on fulltilt($18500 rush guar) and busted out 8th: Advise needed

• shehanshah
      shehanshah
      Bronze
      I finally made it to the final table of this particular tourney after trying for a month or so. I went third in chips into the final table with my stack at 2.35million while the chip leader had 4.5million and the 2nd place 2.6million. I was playin aggressively, was making the right decisions and was playing to win the tourney.

One guy was busted in 9th. In one hand i was in the hijack position and raised with a pair of 10's to 225,000 with blinds 100k and 50k. Then the guy in the button pushed his 1.3 million stack. The blinds were so high so i called for 950,000 more ,knowing that he had sumfin like a/q or a/k definitely. He had ak.

The flop came 3d 6h 9d, i was really happy with the flop. But then an ace came out on the turn. ad. I still had the flush draw with the 10 of diamond in my hand. But the river was a 7h. And my stack was badly hurt and i had sumfin like 1 million. I got 9's after two hands and pushed allin and evrybody folded, so i had 1.3 million after that hand.

Afterwards i was in the BB and the chip leader was in the SB. Blinds were 100k/50k. The chip leader was playing very aggressive. He made it 1.35million to me and i snap called with A/10 of diamonds in the BB. He shows k/2 offsuit and then he caught his king on the turn and i busted on 8th. The donk chip leader got busted on 6th btw.

The payouts were as follows:
      1 $4,882.00
      2 $3,124.48
      3 $2,318.95
      4 $1,733.11
      5 $1,220.50
      6 $805.53
      7 $537.02
      8 $366.15
      9 $268.51

The question is did i play badly by calling with 10's for more than half of my stack and then made another mistake by calling my whole stack with a/10 suited to a very aggressive player, when i clearly could have waited for a better spot and maybe wait for some other people to bust out just to climb the money ladder? Or was it just my bad luck and did the right decisions wiv those blinds in play?? Do u think the donk chip leader had a huge influence with that raise to my tourney life??
      Please give me some advise on how to play the final table and some more insight on the above situation because i dont want to make the same mistakes again next time. Thank you.

I play as 'sehanshah' on fulltilt.
  • 8 replies
    • achschelo
      achschelo
      Bronze
      "Wiv" is really tilting me...sorry, but this was difficult for me to read, hope you get some good advice.
    • shehanshah
      shehanshah
      Bronze
      Originally posted by achschelo
      "Wiv" is really tilting me...sorry, but this was difficult for me to read, hope you get some good advice.
      Sorted. :D
    • Gugi19
      Gugi19
      Bronze
      I have some experience in Rush tourneys and I've played a lot of FT of Rush SNGs.

I think that your play is fine if you want to go fora win. In hand with TT he could also push weaker pairs than your considering his stack size an your late open.

Your call against aggro CL is perfectly fine. Personally when I play against aggro donk CL I like to take stand with 3bets and pushes, he will fold often enough and the story is he takes chips from other players with aggression and you take them form him. And you if aggressive enough against him it's possible that he is going to make a mistake when you hit solid hand.

On the other hand If don't wont to go for a win than you can wait for others to bust and wait for more easy decision. But if play MTTs I would recommend going FTW.

Hope it helps, cheers.
    • Andyuk18
      Andyuk18
      Bronze
      By the sounds of things you didn't do much wrong. You could have played really tight and folded the TT to move up the money and wait for a better spot but that would be pretty tight. Luck will probably play a big part on a table where the stacks are shallow and it becomes a shove/fold strategy for most players. Grats on the 8th place finish. :)
    • shehanshah
      shehanshah
      Bronze
      @gugi & @andy- Thanks. Its good to hear positive response about my play. I too thought the same, but it always helps to hear that from sumbdy else.
      I'm sad in a way though-could have boosted my bankroll hugely lol :P . The tourney was a 2.2$ rebuy, so it cost me only 8.2$ and to have finished first it woud hv been my heftiest pay in poker. :D
    • Andyuk18
      Andyuk18
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gugi19
      I have some experience in Rush tourneys and I've played a lot of FT of Rush SNGs.

I think that your play is fine if you want to go fora win. In hand with TT he could also push weaker pairs than your considering his stack size an your late open.

Your call against aggro CL is perfectly fine. Personally when I play against aggro donk CL I like to take stand with 3bets and pushes, he will fold often enough and the story is he takes chips from other players with aggression and you take them form him. And you if aggressive enough against him it's possible that he is going to make a mistake when you hit solid hand.

On the other hand If don't wont to go for a win than you can wait for others to bust and wait for more easy decision. But if play MTTs I would recommend going FTW.

Hope it helps, cheers.
      I think there is a big misconception that in order to win the final table you need to take risks early on to gain a chip lead. IMO there is a difference between going for a win and playing aggressively. You do not need to take risky flips all the time and can easily play really tight and allow the players with shorter stacks and even some bigger stacks to hang themselves. You allow yourself to get lucky later on when the blinds are big to gain the chip lead.

Personally I play a tight style when on the final table and it has shown good results - even been down to 1 big blind 4 handed and won. Don't risk your tournament life on too many flips, get your money in good when you have better than 50/50 chance.
    • shehanshah
      shehanshah
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Andyuk18

Hope it helps, cheers.
      I think there is a big misconception that in order to win the final table you need to take risks early on to gain a chip lead. IMO there is a difference between going for a win and playing aggressively. You do not need to take risky flips all the time and can easily play really tight and allow the players with shorter stacks and even some bigger stacks to hang themselves. You allow yourself to get lucky later on when the blinds are big to gain the chip lead.

Personally I play a tight style when on the final table and it has shown good results - even been down to 1 big blind 4 handed and won. Don't risk your tournament life on too many flips, get your money in good when you have better than 50/50 chance.
      Point to be noted sir. Thank you.
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Andyuk18
      I have some experience in Rush tourneys an
      Hope it helps, cheers.

+1

What he said.

Your play with TT was absolutely correct, but for that A you would have been chip leader (or very close to it).

With AT you are 47% against any pair.....
      Huge dog to AK, AQ, AJ, AA, KK, QQ, JJ
      and slight favourite in an any 2 card flip

I tend to avoid AT unless I am desperate... wait for better spot - it is quite often amazing how people knock themselves out on the FT

Cheers

Jass