patience problems ;[

    • larweet
      larweet
      Bronze
      Joined: 16.02.2011 Posts: 13
      I have this question for you. Could I be decent poker player if I have no patience at all? I have always been this way whenever I play games like cards or even a lineage (lots of years ago). If I loose money I want to earn it back as soon as possible. Or even I get lucky I want more. Could anyone suggest me to quit ONLINE poker? (or maybie lots of you hade the same problem?) Because when I play it with my friends, I do it pretty good :)
  • 14 replies
    • makrelion
      makrelion
      Bronze
      Joined: 16.12.2009 Posts: 44
      It depends on where and when you lack patience.
      If you lose money and want to win it back as soon as possible, then it is quite normal in my opinion. We all hate to lose and we all want to move up as fast as possible. However, if such lack of patience affects your game (you go on tilt, you forget your BRM), then it's definitely a bad, or maybe even a fatal thing for a poker player.
      So, if you are the latter player, then you have few options:
      1. Quit poker before you made any serious financial problems
      2. Learn to control yourself
      3. Be extremely lucky
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      Joined: 30.08.2010 Posts: 1,213
      had this problem, it faded away somewhy, maybe when I started winning regulary, not swinging or something like that.
    • nivusic
      nivusic
      Bronze
      Joined: 20.10.2009 Posts: 22
      Lack of patience is surely the road to hell in poker. Without patience there is no way to succeed. And I'm talking about being super patient... In poker success is something you can talk about only in long terms and that is directly in link with patience isn't it ?
      Most gamblers have this urge to get back money they've lost as quick as possible. And that is a one way street - DOWN !
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Joined: 11.03.2010 Posts: 741
      Yep, there's no way forward without patience. The best way to improve it is generating experience imho. Some time ago I would go on tilt when losing 2BI :D Now it's like "meh, shit happens", but of course it sucks to lose and you naturally want to win your money back. I feel the same bad feeling about bad beats and so on, but somehow this doesn't affect my game.. well, sometimes it does :D
    • larweet
      larweet
      Bronze
      Joined: 16.02.2011 Posts: 13
      Maybie I should get high before playing :D then I`ll not give a shit :D (just joking)
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Joined: 11.03.2010 Posts: 741
      Yeah, but then your "kangaroo flush" (3579J double rainbow) would be beaten too often :D
    • scscpoker
      scscpoker
      Bronze
      Joined: 29.06.2010 Posts: 121
      You must understand that this is a long-term game: if you win with 30% chance to win (flushdraw, for example), that win is just illusion - u will soon or later lose 70% of that money in pot for example by losing as a 70% favourite, and u will be back on EV. Its not like "u were lucky and won one hand - and those money are yours". Everyone who is running above EV will soon hit downswing for that amount etc. - it will just take longer time for someone. (Same applies to upswing.) So ur goal is to always play in +EV situations where ur ahead of opponent (by range or cards).

      Also, when ur on DOWNSWING and u cant win single hand: dont think u can simply "win at any time" and go on tilt - playing more loose and agressive. If ur on downswing then u will lose for some time, amount of hands or BBs - going up limits is bad and u will lose! U must keep playing as good as u can and wait on YOUR limit till that "unluck" ends (or drop a limit, ofc.) U can look at any graph - player is lucky for some hands / some BBs, then he is unlucky for similar amount of hands/BBs. If u go up limits, u will still lose that amount of BBs in downswing - but every BB means more money now.

      Now about volume: if u have losing session and u dont wanna end as loser, only thing u can do is to continue playing more hands - just play ur A-game or end for that day! Soon u will get used to losing sessions and they wont matter to you so much, because u will know that u will get lucky other day and win all that back (if u played everything right! Dont forget to analyse and discuss problematic hands for example.)
    • theosis
      theosis
      Bronze
      Joined: 23.06.2008 Posts: 42
      Just ship it pre and pray. It's what I do. Some you win, some you lose and some you luck out. We all gambling here.
    • larweet
      larweet
      Bronze
      Joined: 16.02.2011 Posts: 13
      good answers :) I think I`ll be back for online poker when I`ll learn to handle myself :]
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      Joined: 09.08.2009 Posts: 12,303
      Thank you for the great replies folks :)
    • Daenerys
      Daenerys
      Bronze
      Joined: 29.09.2007 Posts: 111
      Originally posted by larweet
      Maybie I should get high before playing :D then I`ll not give a shit :D (just joking)
      Funny you say that i knew someone who played poker stoned all the time and he was a big winner at mid stakes + . He said weed helped him stay focused and totally "seperate" from any money involved, making him do the right calls or something along those lines. He was playing high stakes 7 Stud and Nl100 + at a time.
    • marvinsytan
      marvinsytan
      Bronze
      Joined: 24.01.2011 Posts: 245
      then play the 72o for fun check this out :tongue:

      post your bluff 72 win here:) :s_biggrin:
    • PzKpfw
      PzKpfw
      Basic
      Joined: 25.02.2011 Posts: 11
      Do a work-out routine every break so the concept of pain is inherent therein.

      I do push-ups or shadow-box everytime I feel "tired."
    • yankomania
      yankomania
      Bronze
      Joined: 07.10.2010 Posts: 123
      Originally posted by Bliausmas
      Yeah, but then your "kangaroo flush" (3579J double rainbow) would be beaten too often :D
      LOOL !!! :D :D :D