Expert adivce needed

• Samboro
      Samboro
      Bronze
      Hello, I’ve been playing a lot of STT’s recently and while I am comfortable playing these I think one leak in my game is when the blinds go into the mid blind phase. I’ve read Moshmans book and I found it useful but at the same time lacking is detail of how you should change your play from low blind, what ranges you should play and what positions you should play in.

Can someone link me to some articles on the mid blind phase or give advice on what I can do to improve my game.

Thanks
  • 3 replies
    • azis1959
      azis1959
      Bronze
      tight is good but tighter is best, as long i didn't put any chips, i won't fight without pocket pair, but i always defend my blinds from thief, don't get blinds out...http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/articles/SNG-Poker-Tournament-Middle-Blinds
    • Samboro
      Samboro
      Bronze
      thanks for the reply. ill have a read of that. thankyou!

'tight is good, tighter is better' you see i thought it would be the opposite. becuase the blinds are rising im going to be delt good cards less often while i have a reasonable stack so i thought id have to loosen up my range. is this not correct?
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Future blind increases have very little effect on your reward:risk ratio this hand. Don't worry so much about blinds eating into your stack.

You should pay close attention to the effective stack depth, and whether it is natural to push all-in, or to 3-bet all-in, or to 4-bet or 5-bet all-in. I call stacks of 15-20 bb resteal stacks. When you have a resteal stack, 3-betting all-in is often an efficient, powerful play, since the raiser is not getting great odds and is risk-averse. Look for good resteal semibluffs when you have a resteal stack, and try not to set up too many for good opponents.

If your opponents are too passive, you might be able to get away with raise/folding 80% of your opening range. However, this might stand out to good opponents who will recognize that they can profitably resteal against you with a very wide range, perhaps even ATC. Game theory says you can raise/fold some of the time, but you will still have to raise/call with many hands against aggressive opponents. If your opponents are restealing often, and you can't call off widely, then you may have to reduce your opening range.

Tend to make smaller raises when the effective stack depth is under 20 bb. With a 20 bb stack, a raise to 2.5 bb might get almost as many folds as a raise to 3.5 bb, and it makes restealing risk more compared with the reward. This means you can open to 2.5 bb with a wider range than you can open to 3.5 bb.

Consider open-pushing for more than 10 bb at times if you are risk-averse. Don't do this just because the blinds will rise next hand. You are still risking your stack for the current blinds. However, there are many times when you want to take the option of restealing away from an aggressive chip leader, and the right way to do that may be to tighten up but open push for more than 10 big blinds.

Postflop position becomes less important as the stacks get shorter. This can mean that you are no longer able to raise as wide of a range on the button as you could with deeper stacks. The flip side is that, in theory, you may be able to raise a wider range from earlier positions than you could with deeper stacks, although there is a tendency for players not to give proper credit to early position raises.