How to play a sng full of donks?

• BadeaCelRau
      BadeaCelRau
      Bronze
      I'm sitting at a shorthanded table, blinds are 30/60 and right before me someone opens for 320, I fold (regardless of what I'm holding) and he gets 2 calls...

These are the 3$ shorthanded SnGs on PartyPoker with standard blind speed. Freeroll on my money. It's pretty silly to complain about players being bad but I can't figure out a way to turn SnGs into profit.

After all the madness ends, I find myself with a stack of 1600 vs 2 manics with stacks of 6000 and 4400 and blinds are 30/60 or 50/100 (I usually reach the bubble at this stage). I'm losing blinds quickly so I have to stand up! Raise A9s in position? They call since they are calling stations but I don't hit anything and bluffing is not an option since they will call bottom pair. Push, regardless of the fact that I have more than 10BB? I know that most of the time when I want to play a hand it's better than theirs (at least in theory) so that's why I was thinking to play this edge by pushing. But the risk is too big just to win 100+50 blinds and they will fold anyway until Party repays their good play and deals them queens or kings.

I feel embarrassed that the field of players is so bad yet I am losing. Pokerstrategy, and every other strategy out there, teaches that survival is key and you have to play super-tight during early stages but the cost is a shortstack. For me it's too hard to overcome this cost and come back from a short stack to a big one unless I'm super lucky.

I find some similarities between the bubble in 6max and Heads-Up but in heads-up I'm 1v1 not 1v2 :-S. Any advice on how to play them?
  • 4 replies
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      you have 1600 chips! the blinds are 200. which means you have 8 BB left. 8 is less than 10. that means you are in the push or fold stage. I assume that "in position" means you are on the button? a9 against 2 loose players is an easy push. - to me not pushing is a mistake here

if you push and they both fold that is a fantastic result for you. 300 chips onto your stack of 1600 is nearly a 20% increase in your stack.

" Any advice on how to play them?" - have you studied ICM? from your question it doesnt look like it. If you want to win sngs you MUST learn ICM. read the articles, download icm trainer and practice.

"i fold regardless of what I'm holding" - serioulsy? have you even read the starting hand charts?
    • BadeaCelRau
      BadeaCelRau
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply. I didn't say blinds are 200/100 yet .... obviously with 8BB left A9s against 2 players is push. I'm familiar with the ICM.

I was writing about smaller blinds like 60/30, 100/50. I usually reach the bubble at this stage.

I'll edit the post to avoid further confusion.
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Originally posted by BadeaCelRau
      I'm sitting at a shorthanded table, blinds are 30/60 and right before me someone opens for 320, I fold (regardless of what I'm holding) and he gets 2 calls...
      What you exactly mean by this? Maybe you are too tight in these situations. In general tight is right line is good in early phase especially if postflop is not the strongest area. But thing is that if you get maniacs on your table it's very profitable to loose up a bit and try to adjust your play versus these players. There are some situations where it's still best to stay as tight as usual. E.g. some maniac basically shove every hand or make huge raises. Let other players make loose calls 50bb deep. I have seen these kind of situations where other players start to call maniac's shoves with hands like QTo 40+bb deep, because it's ahead of maniac's range :)

In such 6 max bubble situation it might be best to stay passive with stack like 13-20bb and let villains play together. If it goes well hero is in the money without playing much. But if that doesn't happen you just have to take stance. Versus villains like these you can obviously open raise small with monsters and if they still give respect to shoves then situation is not that horrible. Just bad luck if they find that monster, which hold up.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BadeaCelRau
      Pokerstrategy, and every other strategy out there, teaches that survival is key and you have to play super-tight during early stages but the cost is a shortstack.
      Actually, that's just a common misconception, and I try to counter that in my videos. See, for example, my video on the ICM. You are less risk-averse early in a SNG than you are later, particularly in small pots.

If you are too tight early on, you do not gain enough ICM equity, and you too often have a short stack near the bubble. If you take some good gambles early, then you will sometimes bust out and get to start another tournament, and some of the time you will have a bigger stack and get to bully players near the bubble and you can survive losing a showdown.