[NL2-NL10] NL10 6max Rush, Set vs. possible flush

• Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Villains stats: 26/19/2.5 during 380 hands.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO ($6.67)
      Button ($3.36)
      SB ($3.55)
      Hero (BB) ($22.36)
      UTG ($22.31)
      MP ($14.24)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4, 4
      UTG bets $0.35, MP calls $0.35, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.25

Flop: ($1.10) 4, 2, 3 (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, 1 fold, MP calls $0.70

Turn: ($2.50) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.50, MP raises to $3.65, Hero calls $2.15

River: ($9.80) 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $9.80

I donk out the flop because it's pretty drawy and if both my opponents checks behind - well I certainly don't want that. I don't like the turn so I leave myself some space to retreat and cbet smaller, and get a raise. Lucky bastard hit his flush probably! But anyways, I decide to call and definitely fold if another spade (on non paired board of course) comes, or no spades come but I face huge aggression. Was it correct play?
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Bliausmas,

The donking on flop is somewhat considerable but also might even sometimes consider Check/Raise there. But otherwise the turn I guess I like Check/Calling more often, just for the reason that it could be possible that he has the flushdraw on flop and hit now it. Which means he will likely also raise us. Therefore we might get bad odds for a Call when we raise but while we still get pretty good implied odds when we Check/Call. Otherwise pretty standard, you might even consider Check/Shove on river but shoving directly there if you see him being very bad player is also fine. Just I am pretty sure if he had there the flush he would still bet like smallish for value and not Check it behind unless he is really passive player.

Best regards.
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Hm that's a really good point about c/calling the turn. But lets say I c/c turn, then a blank hits the river ( :club: 7 ) and he bets out very strong, like pot size, lets say 4$. I guess we could still call here?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Bliausmas
      Hm that's a really good point about c/calling the turn. But lets say I c/c turn, then a blank hits the river ( :club: 7 ) and he bets out very strong, like pot size, lets say 4$. I guess we could still call here?
      Nope, not really. I might even find a fold there since often times when he picks such a line it's very often a flush. Only reasonable hand what we beat there I guess is a bluff. Often times my plan with calling the turn is to take the implied odds and hope to hit and if not and face a big bet then I am even more inclined to fold it.
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      I see.. Well that would be pretty difficult fold for me as I often find trouble folding sets :) Btw, I think we could reject the possibility of slowplayed set of threes or deuces as the flop is really drawy?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Bliausmas
      I see.. Well that would be pretty difficult fold for me as I often find trouble folding sets :) Btw, I think we could reject the possibility of slowplayed set of threes or deuces as the flop is really drawy?
      Yep, very likely. He rather raises raises them on so drawy board but never say never, it could still be possible.