The Rambling's of a certain Z4111!

• Z4111
      Z4111
      Bronze
      Hey guys, I've seen that many people have decided to write diaries, and they have all been successful with great feedback, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I got my $50 starting bankroll last week (thanks so much PS). And up until then, I made sure to read and re-read all the beginner articles. I didn't touch the tables until I had the SHC memorized, as well as all the pre flop and flop play information.

It took a few days for the $50 to come, but I got a $10 bonus from Partypoker somehow, so I started p[laying with that. By the end of my first night I had $43.

Next day I return to the .05/.10 limits, this time playing 4 tables. Things didn't run so smoothly this time. I began making poor mistakes, raising with AQ in early/mid pos, calling raises with pocket pairs, and within 30 minutes i was down to $30. So early in my career, I had a meltdown.

I decided to buy into a $22 heads up match to try and cover my losses. I lost. I then bought into a $6 heads up match, and lost. Woops.

So, I was mercifully given a few days to reflect on what I did and resolve my mindset in time for when the $50 came. By the time it came, I was as optimistic as ever.

So, day 1, I have my $50 starting stack, I open up 4 tables, and I absolutely steam roll it, I made sure to stick with the SHC and it worked so well for me! By the end of the night I was up to $125.

The following day, I begin as per, and Soon I'm up to $150, $160, $170. I decide to try out the .10/.25 limits. It went horribly. I made so many mistakes, I should have been far far tighter, but the more I lost, the more I felt the compulsion to gamble with pocket pairs. Within 2 horus I was back down to $110. Then I had my second meltdown. (Why did I do it?! Argh, it's been haunting me since it happened!)

I bought into a $55 heads up, and lost, with the most unbelievable hand too! The board was 3J36Q... I had the boat with 6 3. My opponent had J 3!

So, after that, I tell myself enough is enough, and I put a 7 day cooling off period on my account. I cannot log into my account until the 28th. This has been the best thing I've done I think because in the past 3 days I've learnt so much more because I've spent all the time I would be playing poker, re-reading articles and watching all the videos. I'm confident I will make amends later on this week.

Thanks.
  • 17 replies
    • murkins
      murkins
      Gold
      first and the most important article for you - BANKROLL MANAGMENT ;)
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      I disagree. If it is compulsion, he knows what he is doing but he makes the mistake, while he knows he shouldn't. The key is: selfmanagement. Don't be a gambler, beat the gambler. Don't try to make money playing poker, try to play well. That is all that matters on this limit. You really think pokerstrategy wants 10.000 5/10 NLHE players on their site? Of course not, they want you to become so good, that you reach the 25/50 limit, or even higher, and the only way to achieve that is make consistent good plays, and move up veeeeery slowly.

That you made so much in such a short period can mean 2 things:

1. you gambled a lot and won a lot.
      2. you played according to the SHC, played very well, and had an EXTREEEEEMELY large upswing.

Don't be affected by the money you make. It is not real money anyway, it's only chips.

I bought into a $55 heads up, and lost, with the most unbelievable hand too! The board was 3J36Q... I had the boat with 6 3. My opponent had J 3!

You're lucky you got a boat. If you play 200x the limit you should be playing, with that bankroll, buying in into a HU match for 55$, gives you a stack of chips that is worth 20-30$, because your opponent can outplay you.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Gambling is not good.
      Hard to stand all the beatings, but playing tag style you should move up quite quickly.
    • Z4111
      Z4111
      Bronze
      Thanks for the replies guys... I know what I did with the heads up matches was the worst thing I could ever do... Really kicking myself for it, I knew I should have just stuck with the SHC. With regards to what I made on the .05/.10 limits, I DID stick purely to the SHC, and as far as I could tell, I made few noteworthy suckouts.. I was playing 4 tables though, and made 2,000 hands in my first night, (I was up until 3:30am).

Thanks.
    • Z4111
      Z4111
      Bronze
      Hey everyone,

I haven't posted in ages, because at the time of my last posting, I had made some serious mistakes... So I took a long time to straighten out, re-read articles, and drill it into my head about bankroll management. I have since moved to Full Tilt, where I think my playing is more suited to.

So where I left off, I had around $60 on partypoker from $150. I transferred this some days ago to my new account.

So a few days ago, I begin my fresh start. I'm confident now that I will be able to do this properly now. My bankroll is currently at $98.71. I will continue to make sure to stick to the SSS until my bankroll can support the NL10 BSS.
    • Z4111
      Z4111
      Bronze
      There must be some serious leaks in my game.

But I cannot for the life of me find them. For today I have currently lost 12 buy ins on NL10. I raise the right amount at the right time with the right cards, I fold when I have to. I make no deviation whatsoever from the SSS besides some advice xylere kindly gave me regarding completing certain hands in the SB. Yes, KK has been losing vs AA more often than not today, I am losing to better cards, but also many suckouts.

I understand everything I've read and re-read in the articles about SSS. Should I seriously take a look at my game? Is this a downswing? I've heard that many people consider their losing streaks as downswing and a lot are wrong, its actually their game... Does this seem like a downswing to you guys?

Whenever I think my luck may be changing, (AA with two raisers in front of me) their straight or flush hits and sets me down further and further. The last time this happened to me I ended up buying into a $55 heads up match and lost, but that won't happen ever again. Now I'm in the dilemma as to whether or not I should take a break for tonight. But I know for a fact my play is consistent and doesn't vary in the least. So do I take a break even though that won't improve my chances tomorrow? Or do I carry on grinding and losing?

Sorry about this guys, I just need some assurance and a nudge in the right direction, it's left me feeling rather down. Thanks for listening.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      if you can't keep yourself from playing those 55$ heads up games, then online poker is perhaps not the best idea for you
    • ratex
      ratex
      Bronze
      Hey Z4111, you just went to NL10 too fast!!
      Poker is not just knowledge, you need experience too. Stay at NL5 ultil you finally feel really confortable to go to NL10!

Good game at the tables =)
    • Z4111
      Z4111
      Bronze
      Chenny, that was weeks ago. And it was one time, one too many. ratex, my bankroll is $117, and I've played 12k hands. Thanks for the advice though. I honestly do feel comfortable at NL10 as I've played it for a long time with no problems.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      alright, well good luck on abstaining.
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      You could always end up in troubles.
      I know I can beat NL50 and NL100, but I won't play them yet with my 850 $ because I can always have bad luck...
    • Z4111
      Z4111
      Bronze
      By the way, NL10 is .05/.10 blinds isn't it? That's the lowest they have on Full Tilt. If .05/.10 is actually NL5, then my bad sorry, I'm on NL5.
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Well, NL10 is 0.05/0.10 so you're playing that one.
      You'll need a little luck to avoid bankrupcy though, even the best can go bankrupt with 100 $ on NL10, 10 buy ins is nothing.
    • Z4111
      Z4111
      Bronze
      Ohhh sorry I think I forgot to mention, i'm playing the SSS, very sorry for any misunderstanding. I actually really want to play BSS though, while I agree the SSS is suited to beginners and is proven to be +EV, it's such a frustrating strategy in my opinion!
    • ratex
      ratex
      Bronze
      Z4111, the point is to be confortable in the limit you are playing, if this is your case, just play and win! but do not forget about bankroll management. It's crucial.
      I know it is really hard to go back a limit, but is the best option!

But the most important thing you could do to your poker carrer is to avoid this head-up you've been playing!

:D
    • Z4111
      Z4111
      Bronze
      Yeah I agree, what a bloody stupid mistake! I deserve all the critisicm I get for that x 100. I actually feel comfortable on the NL10 SSS. Seeing as it's the lowest limit on Full Tilt, I wouldn't have much choice anyway. I think it was a downswing because today things are slowly picking up. I think maybe my problem was my expectations... I expected to be able to play BSS NL10 within a matter of weeks.

I know now I should just take it as it comes. I think it would be silly for me to set time-related goals at this point, because I can't see any accurate projections playing SSS. I have around 40 BI's to NL10 SS. So unless I'm mistaken, I am actually playing within my bankroll. And just to be clear, I have stuck to the SSS, and that won't change, I never deviate from the strategy with hopeful calls or unprofitable SB completions. Thanks for your support guys, I really appreciate it.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Z4111!

I hope you have learned your lesson?! ;) If you have 40 buy-ins you are playing according to the bankroll management. Keep us up-to-date about your progress.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81