Choosing a 2nd monitor for my laptop. Aspect ratio? Connection type?

• wiarygodny
      wiarygodny
      Bronze
      Hey all,

I'm looking for a 2nd monitor to connect it to the laptop i play on (to use both screens). The most important is to be able to tile 12 FTP tables on it with no overlap (using the monitor only, laptop's screen for HEM and other stuff). I already did some "research" so i know that i need at least 1920x1080 res for that. But since there is abt a million monitors with that res on the market i'd like to be able narrow my choice a bit, hence the questions that will follow (some of them are prolly very fishy, but pls forgive me, im a totall noob when it comes to stuff like that :f_biggrin: ). Other stuff that may help you help me:
      - im mostly intersted in specs that mather the most while playing poker (tiling 12 tables with no overlap) for x hours a day (so it doesn't matter that much if the monitor is gonna be good or average for movies, games, internet browsing etc.)
      - id like playing on it to be as "comfortable" as it gets (least tiring/pain causing for eyes, head, neck etc.)

ok, time for the questions:

1. the Mysterious Aspect Ratio - does it matter at all wether im gonna have 16:9 or 16:10??? Cause ive found monitors with 1920x1080 res in both (still have no clue how is that possible :f_biggrin: ) and don't know if it changes anything for me. My guess is that it shouldn't (maybe just the tables are gonna have a bit different 'shape', wider on 16:9???), but i'd like to make sure. cause if for some reason 16:10 is much better for poker than 16:9 than maybe its worth to spend more on one of those.

2. Connection/port - my laptop (Acer Aspire 5735) has only a D-Sub VGA port. I know its not gonna be a problem to connect almost any of the monitors i can choose from. My question is wether i will be able to use it to 'its full potential'??? i mean can i be 100% sure that my comp/graphic card (Intel GMA 4500MHD) will have no problem 'generating' images in 1920x1080 res? Or to do that a digital connection is needed for example??? cause if thats the case im fucked and need to rethink the whole plan i guess :f_biggrin:

3. size - i know it totally doesn't matter when it comes to placing tables on the screen, as long as i have proper res but im a bit worried that the smallest (21.5", 22") may be a pain in the ass when it comes to reading all the text that appears on the (minimized) tables (stack sizes, names, stats, notes etc.). i really don't want to need to spend more than a 'normal' fraction of a second to read sth that i need in a particular moment. not to mention the fact that it would be more tiring in the long run. anyone there who tested minimized tables on 22" compared to 24" let's say and can say sth like - "its a bit difficult to read stats on 22" but it's easy on 24"." or "dont worry, 22" is still acceptable."

4. other specs - should i care abt them at all??? I mean brightness, contrast ratio, refreshing rate, response time etc. or those dont matter at all while playing poker, since the graphics are pretty static and simple after all :f_biggrin:

5. finally maybe you can throw me some models that you are/were using for poker (especially tiling 12 tbls with no overlap) and the reasons why or why not you will recomend them.

i know its a bit of a tl;dr but if those of you who cant be bothered to answer to all (i dont blame you :f_biggrin: ) can help me with at least some stuff - questions 1 & 2 are the most important for my decision - thanks a lot!

any help will be very much appreciated since im a bit confused right now and really don't want to buy sth that will not be optimal for my needs.

Thanks a lot and GL at the tables!!!
  • 7 replies
    • wiarygodny
      wiarygodny
      Bronze
      maybe somebody can at least say sth like: "ive got 1920x1080 res with 16:9 aspect ratio and im able to tile 12 tables with no overlap"

even that would be helpfull :)

cheers!
    • tcs35
      tcs35
      Bronze
      i have a 1920x1200 and a 1920x1080 they are cool
    • wiarygodny
      wiarygodny
      Bronze
      bump :) had a 'little' break in the buying process :) all the questioins from the OP are still valid tough. Thanks for any help! cheers
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      aspect ratios are of little importance. 1920x1080 is a 16:9 aspect ratio resolution. 16:10 scales the image. Its normally used for funny screen sizes (eg 28", 30" or 22.5") or cheaper screens.

stick with 16:9.

On a side note, tiling is best at the 4:3 (non-widescreen) aspect ratio if you have widescreen monitors sitting in the usual position.

Widescreen monitors can tile tables perfectly if you use them in portait mode though. If you are interested in doing this, try to get one with a base that supports it.

side by side example:

your laptop will be able to output 1080p with the 4500HD you mention , i'm certain. standard D-SUB max res is 2560x1600 if I recall.

P.S , this is what a 2560x1600 monitor looks like [ I want one :( ]

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=224-9949

That one's a bit special in that it supports a colour gamut beyond 100% of the spec, so its a bit expensive, and there are cheaper ones for sure.
    • wiarygodny
      wiarygodny
      Bronze
      thanks for your help! really appreciate it. After some further research ive almost decided to go for this one - what do you think?
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      looks good, enjoy!. :]

I have a 27" Samsung Multi-function monitor, and i'm enjoying it greatly.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by wiarygodny
      thanks for your help! really appreciate it. After some further research ive almost decided to go for this one - what do you think?
      You call that a monitor?! :O Thats a TV!

15" Laptop FTW :s_evil: