Nootropics and poker?

• Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      What are nootropics? Google it. I'll only be talking about legal ones. So, I've tried L-Tyrosine (some say 3000mg is optimal, but 1500mg works just fine for me) before matches/exams/studying, and it has helped my focus and concentration a lot. It is also supposed to decrease stress. So I figured it might help with learning/playing poker as well. It's not expensive either, you should be able to get it in the pharmacys or nutrition/supplement stores. Another nootropic that should have some positive effects is Ginkgo biloba, but I haven't had any experience with it so far. Has any of you tried any?
  • 7 replies
    • yankomania
      yankomania
      Bronze
      think good idea, never thought about it ... was thinking about some medicine that reduces stress, calms down when things isn't going so good and you're starting to make some stupid moves .. but nootropics may be good, that you don't loose concentration and are focusing to the game .. ;)

P.S.

Sry for bad english
    • clawindsouza
      clawindsouza
      Bronze
      sounds cool but does it have any side effects?
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      imo just learn that lifes too short to stress doesnt matter what happens always have a laugh and a good time no need for medicines
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Nope, no negative side effects from Tyrosine as far as I know. Too high doses result in reduced levels of dopamine, but that would be if you took like 12g of it, which is like 24 capsules... Why on earth would you want to take that :D ? Aside from that, it is a non essential amino acid and is found in food we eat every day (although in smaller amounts), so it's not some chemical or something.

Tyrosine, which can be synthesized in the body from phenylalanine, is found in many high protein food products such as soy products, chicken, turkey, fish, peanuts, almonds, avocados, milk, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, lima beans, pumpkin seeds, and sesame seeds.

It is not a central nervous system stimulant (CNS) like for example caffeine, and therefore it does not cause insomnia. Oh, and it's pretty cheap as well (it costs like 15€ for 120 capsules = 40 dosages) + your body will not build a tolerance against it (it will work all the time, you do not have to cycle it). Really good stuff, and legal too...
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly
      imo just learn that lifes too short to stress doesnt matter what happens always have a laugh and a good time no need for medicines
      I completely agree with that, but not many people are unfortunately able to do that (we are weak). But you are right, that is very important in life and it also brings happiness... However I do not think that there is anything wrong with optimization ;) .
    • Saruniks
      Saruniks
      Bronze
      I use photo of my loved one or Cristian cross
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Always used to have this conversation in biology, about whether or not to use these, how much better they are for exams and stuff.

Altough they are in theory great, I don't bother with them, and probably won't ever. In general I try and let my body be; I often don't bother with paracetamol, stimulants (although tired at work = lots of coffee ^^ ). I prefer to know my body can get through whatever. Means I get a stronger mind too.

But, I can see the benefits from it, so I would never just brush it off lightly.

I'm wondering about something though. You said overdosing on this stuff causes low dopamine levels. Well, weed blocks/uses dopamine receptors, so would overdosing on this just cause similar effects to it? Or would that not happen because weed simply uses the dopamine receptors because it's chemicals have the same structure? Orrrr would you just become sluggish since neurotransmission won't be as effective? (sorry for nerd-ness xD )