[NL2-NL10] 10NL FR TT on BU - again

• MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      (again!)

Villain is unknown, only played 3 out of 4 hands, nothing weird about his play yet.

$0.10 NL (9 max) - Holdem - 7 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

MP: $7.39
      CO: $7.85
      Hero (BTN): $10.00
      SB: $5.42
      BB: $9.64
      UTG: $3.90
      UTG+1: $10.55

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has T:spade: T:club:

UTG calls $0.10, fold, MP raises to $0.40, fold, Hero raises to $1.20, fold, fold, fold, MP calls $0.80

Flop: ($2.65, 2 players) 9:heart: K:club: 2:club:
      MP bets $1.50, Hero calls $1.50

Turn: ($5.65, 2 players) 8:club:
      MP checks, Hero checks

River: ($5.65, 2 players) 6:diamond:
      MP checks, Hero checks

MP shows 3:spade: 3:heart: (One Pair, Threes) (PreFlop 19%, Flop 8%, Turn 2%)
      Hero shows T:spade: T:club: (One Pair, Tens) (PreFlop 81%, Flop 92%, Turn 98%)
      Hero wins $5.38
  • 5 replies
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      I'd prefer to flat TT on the BTN pre-flop rather than raise and probably isolate myself against the top of his range.

As played, when he calls the 3-bet and then donks the flop I'm folding - we have to give up to a bet on the turn unless hit our T.
    • MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JonikoP
      I'd prefer to flat TT on the BTN pre-flop rather than raise and probably isolate myself against the top of his range.

As played, when he calls the 3-bet and then donks the flop I'm folding - we have to give up to a bet on the turn unless hit our T.
      Hi JonikoP, thank you for the feedback, I always appreciate it even if I don't comment on them very much. :f_love:

It is kind of SH and even when he played just few hands he seems to know that. I usually assume that they are 3betting me with QQ+, flatting with small pairs for set mining. Of course, you never know. If he is reasonable he is not staying with many high cards either.

Donking like that doesn't convince me of much. What is he trying to do? I will probably cbet. He could check raise, for example. What kind of hand is he having there betting like that. He might have a FD. Then he doesnt have a K. He might have any underpair to my TT. If he has a strong hand there I think he would probably be protecting/growing up pot.
      If he does have a strong hand AND he is betting it like that (i.e., set, KK, or fishy AA), with that bet, I take the odds to hit something later on (if he has KK and I hit something, then it is his lucky day). He is electing to play weak so I might even see a free card on turn, I have position there. If he bets again on turn, then I re-evaluate...but I wouldnt let it go so easily in this particular situation...I would probably do vs. nit FR.

(sorry, I forgot to mentin him having Kx. I would rather think he is check calling or something, but he might do that play. Again, I re-evaluate turn.)
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      Hi MisClick,

Thanks for your message - hope you don't mind me posting thoughts - I'm trying to practice my hand reading/lines!

These hands with unknowns are so difficult because it's hard to put them on a range that they are opening with and calling 3-bets with, or to know if they are aggressive or passive. Without a read I usually play on the cautious side (which may be a leak).

As you say his donk could be a really wide range of hands - and is often weak although some players will donk strong hands on a two tone board. Looking at it again calling the flop to reevaluate is a pretty good line IP but you're not going to be happy if any J, Q, A or club comes off and even if a blank comes off you are probably going to have to fold to a turn bet.

Let's see what Veriz thinks!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello MisClick,

Preflop: Against unknown you can often times just flat here, since I don't think that you are ready to go broke with just TT. And also we have pretty easy playability postflop with them. And often times as overcards they are pretty strong and as well we could hit set.

As played
      Postflop: Seems to be fine, usually that kind of donkings don't really make sense. They could easily just try to bluff there, maybe sometimes donk with a draw and so on. Calling there should be fine. But as well from passive opponents sometimes I take such a donk rather a strong hand and could easily be Kx which tries to protect from flushdraws.

Best regards.
    • MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JonikoP
      Hi MisClick,

hope you don't mind me posting thoughts
      Very much the opposite :) So please keep posting.

I don't know if it happens to you, but I seem to work some things over my sleep. I woke up this morning and the first thing that comes to mind is this hand! :f_biggrin:

Then I thought that the preflop is kind of borderline really, and even not that ok. I remembered the times I have to decide to call/fold a 4B and I am angry with myself, because if he had that strong hand I want to set mine but now the odds are not good for that because call needed to see flop is too big...I suppose I should try to work out the numbers/probabilities here and see what the EV result is (as many times they also flat called with rubbish oop). I would definitely not do it vs. a nit regular. I am always set mining there (unless he is folding to 3B everything but AA :D in which cases from time to time I might do it)

With this hand I was wondering if I didn't let go of the opportunity I had by being in position. I could have kind of converted my hand on a bluff by floating (but the problem was I thought HE was drawing to a flush). Then I thought I could have made a delayed float on river, but again, I was scared of a check-raise...I suppose the risks are bigger than the rewards here, as he is probably folding anything that I beat there, and calling/raising with anything that has me beat. (There is a portion of the time when they do a donk move on river, like min re-raising, or donking small. In that case I mostly quickly call.) But I think these fishy bets are so tricky to face. May be we should start implementing this from time to time just to win a free showdown like he did :D