Pocket Pair to Low Trips, correct way of playing.

• eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      I have a few questions - developing your pocket pair to low trips (three of a kind). (All of this is based on NL BSS Strategy.)

So, obviously we can develop such monster hand starting with 22-99.
      You mostly call, with exception of raising from late position if none entered so far, and you call with 20x rule if someone raised before you.

I have first question right there. Assume the following:

MP1 raises 4xBB and You're MP2 holding 99 and action comes to you. You see his raise of 4xBB and you calculate that both you and him have 20x the raised amount so you call. But, CO raises min-raises. Do you then check CO's raise amount and calculate 20x of that, and if both you and CO have that amount you then call? That's how I understood it.

Anyway, the flop comes, and you didn't hit your trips. Flop is not-draw heavy with no queens, kings, jacks nor aces, and CO checks. Do you then check because you didn't hit your trips, or do the continuation bet because you still have a made hand?

Third question: If you hit your trips on flop, should you try to slow play on non draw-heavy boards, or should you just bet for value on micro limit NL2?
  • 3 replies
    • cauelaratta
      cauelaratta
      Bronze
      I think you should nearly always bet for value. Especially on NL2, people might call you with any crap they´re holding.
    • HannesZ
      HannesZ
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      1) You just would check the CO stack as he will be the most of the time the one from whom you can win all chips. The other player is just a nice addon ;)

2) Well if you call on set value then there is no need to attack those flops. However especially in HU the opponents has hardly hit such a flop and most of the times you are ahead and you can give it a try.

3) Especially on the micro limits you should get it in as soon as possible. People call way to often and you will miss a lot of value.

Cheers,
      Hannes
    • eXtremeACE
      eXtremeACE
      Bronze
      Thank both of you, cauelaratta and HannesZ.
      That helped! :)

With each day I'm improving my poker playing skills thanks to this wonderful community.