playing 22-99

• blax41
      blax41
      Bronze
      Hello , i`ve been playing for some time now and I still tend to make the wrong choice almost all the time when I play pocket pairs (22-99).
      As example I was playing NL2 and I was dealt 77 in late position. 1 guy before me limped so I 3bet him - he called. Flop was 4 T Q and he checked , I putted in almost 70% of the pot and he called. Turn was 6, he putted 90% of the pot and I folded - he showed pocket 5. This is really frustrating and it makes me tilt all the time and its one of the main things I tend to loose money.
      So any advices how to play pocket pairs the best way ?
  • 10 replies
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Alright mate.

Here's my advice, and what I do. The lower pocket pairs you're really only playing for a set (set mining)

So just limp in late or early with like 2-7, and if you get raised, you go by the 20 rule. say you limp 0.02, and the raise is 0.08, it costs 0.06 to call. 20 times 0.06 = 1.20. If your stack is bigger than that (which it should be) you can call. so 0.10 raise = 0.08 call, 20 x = 1.60, you can still call.

If on the flop you miss, just check fold. You're playing for set value here, and when you finally do hit that set you can make a lot more money from it than the overall money you spend calling pre flop. But with lower PP's, it's just not worth calling on without any help from the boards. fold it :)

7/8/9 pockets in late position you could raise to isolate (if only 1 limper or just blinds). And then if the cards are low on the flop and you've got 88/99, you can still bet out if you think they're on high cards, or check call if it's low bets.

Hope that helps. But some of the more experienced guys will help you out more info if mines wrong :>
    • blax41
      blax41
      Bronze
      thanks for the reply, I`ll try to stick to the 20 rule :)
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      you're welcome, i'm sure someone else with more experience than me will chip in anyway and give more pointers :)
    • SU2P2153
      SU2P2153
      Bronze
      What i've been doing recently is raising any pocket pair from any position, and playing it strong if no mid overcards (8,9,10) but representing the K,Q, J if they hit the flop for one or two rounds. If i'm called to river i will probably give up here, though im more cautious if an A flops as many A rags may call the pfr.

Obv. if im looked up a lot i will be more selective of my F and T bets but still like the raise from any position.
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      he, I moved your thread to the strategy-discussion forum - I am sure you'll get even more input here!
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      That you were bluffed off the best hand doesn't mean your play was wrong. Part of good play is folding hands which might be good, but where it's not a good gamble to continue.

One bit of notation: You raised. You did not 3-bet. A 3-bet is a reraise. Perhaps you meant to say that you raised to 3x the big blind, which would be a small raise after a limp. Normally you increase the size of your raises after a limp, whether you are raising for value or just to attack weakness.

Raising with 77 from late position after a limp is normal. If you are playing full ring, you might just overlimp after an early position limp, but an open limp from later represents weakness and you don't want to let the blinds into the hand.

A flop with two broadway cards on it is not a good one for 77. It is ok to cbet and give up if you get called or raised.

Your opponent's play was interesting, but was it a good one against your range? If it means he would pay off your hands like KQ or JJ a lot, then you don't have to worry if it would push you off of weaker hands.
    • iRozi54
      iRozi54
      Bronze
      no reason to tilit on such hand, especially on NL2. just make a note on the guy and take his money on better hands ;) your play there was standard.

i always play pokets 2-7 for set value in a cheap flop, or as a bluff catcher if ur heads up (if i have position), but not on multibarreling oponent.
    • AjoPP1
      AjoPP1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jim4rdo
      Alright mate.

If your stack is bigger than that (which it should be) you can call. so 0.10 raise = 0.08 call, 20 x = 1.60, you can still call.

Shouldn't the villains's stack be bigger than that instead of ours?
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AjoPP1
      Alright mate.

If your stack is bigger than that (which it should be) you can call. so 0.10 raise = 0.08 call, 20 x = 1.60, you can still call.

We should take the smaller stack into account. If ours stack is smaller - we compare the odds with our stack. If the villains stack is smaller than ours - we do it with his stack. It's called effective stack.
    • Jim4rdo
      Jim4rdo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AjoPP1
      Alright mate.

blias said it, but also there i'm refferring to what i said just before, about the 1.20 stack. As in, it should be bigger than 1.20. :)