[NL2-NL10] 10NL AA on BB

• MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      And I was happy because it was the first hand at the table and I didn't have reads on opponents...I thought: nice, I don't have reads here! Hahahaha (ironic laugh)
      If it wasn't paired I was betting it. But...after careful thought I decided to check...and then I kind of regretted it. So I don't know what the correct play is here ?(

$0.10 NL (9 max) - Holdem - 9 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

UTG: $2.05
      UTG+1: $7.62
      MP: $8.31
      MP+1: $7.85
      LP: $5.30
      CO: $5.47
      BTN: $5.07
      SB: $3.90
      Hero (BB): $10.00

SB posts SB $0.05, Hero posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has A:heart: A:club:

fold, UTG+1 calls $0.10, fold, fold, LP calls $0.10, fold, BTN calls $0.10, SB calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.70, UTG+1 calls $0.60, LP calls $0.60, BTN calls $0.60, fold

Flop: ($2.90, 4 players) Q:club: Q:spade: T:diamond:
      Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, LP bets $0.20, BTN raises to $4.37 and is all-in, fold, fold, fold

BTN wins $3.15
  • 5 replies
    • MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      (by the way. Nobody is moving me out of that table until my session is finished :f_biggrin: )
    • Oly0909
      Oly0909
      Silver
      Again, I would raise more preflop.
      On flop, probably bet $2 and call shove. Again, same result :f_biggrin:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello MisClick,

Preflop: First of all, I'd even raise it bigger since we are OOP and as well so many limpers, ~$1.

As played
      Postflop: I'd still CBet like $1,70 and likely would even Call the mid-stack guy. He may easily even have there Tx or even worse PPs. But as played, I guess as you decided to go for the passive line, I guess I'd still call it. Just if you think about it, why should he shove the Qx there? He would rather slowplay it.

Best regards.
    • valancius
      valancius
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Hello MisClick,

Preflop: First of all, I'd even raise it bigger since we are OOP and as well so many limpers, ~$1.

As played
      Postflop: I'd still CBet like $1,70 and likely would even Call the mid-stack guy. He may easily even have there Tx or even worse PPs. But as played, I guess as you decided to go for the passive line, I guess I'd still call it. Just if you think about it, why should he shove the Qx there? He would rather slowplay it.

Best regards.
      Why he should slowplay here when the pots is 3.1$ and he has left 4.37$. When hero took passive play i think folding would be better play because UTG+1 may be slowplaying his Qx and after we call BTN all in we give UTG+1 over money. LP could have mediocre hand or even weak Qx or Tx, BTN raise in multi-pot doesn't look very week when we believe that micro limits are full of loose-passive opponents. How often does BTN should have weaker hands for this spot to be profitable, also like i sad UTG+1 may be slowplaying and LP could have weak Tx or Qx. IMO AA looks great but not in this situation, so i let it go.
    • MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      Well, that is the thing. I wasn't worried about the later player shoving, I was worried about the donk bet :)

I think as you all suggested, I should have raise more. Usually that kind of raise does the trick leaving only one player. Usually, bigger bets seem to not leave anyone, and smaller ones are inviting everybody into the pot. What I did not consider was that the table was obviously too loose! I slept on it before reading your comments (thanks to all by the way :f_love: ) and I had arrived to the conclusion that raising big preflop was the best play there. Players like BTN might have as well just decided go all in preflop. Then I remembered that twice before, in a similar situation (lots of limpers and AA on BB), I did shove directly all-in, getting callers with really crappy hands (but those 2 times I knew it was a loose table, not like this time when I had just sat down, I think it was NL2...). Definitly next time I am raising big there. If they all fold I still get a nice pot.

Like Veriz said, I chose the passive line postflop. I thought about that too, and I think there is two ways, which have their pros and cons.

Aggressive approach: I could go towards a cbet there if I consider the following: Being oop in such a big pot with so many callers could actually be good when you want to end it there. I didn't like the Q, as many times this kind of players are staying with face cards. BU could have well be shoving Tx, total bluff or Qx, with same frequency in each case. If I cbet, I unveil the hand, and I think that UTG1 and LP were folding. Then BTN might have shoved with Qx, and with less of a bluff (however, observing him lately, he could have had 23o there). In that case, I would have ended up with the med stack shoving for only $1.5 more, which is ok when I know he is shoving with a bluff/Tx/Qx even when not sure about the probabilities of each (mostly Qx after I cbet), but for $1.5 more I'm fine...Once I check I get the tricky situation, because I lose my position (now I will be first to act after the shove), I don't know if UTG+1 checked as a trap, and his stack is bigger than the BTN. Also, now the price is not 1.50, but at least $4, as I said, I thought that donk meant something.

Passive approach: It is not bad either. I am not getting a chance to win the pot, but I am lowering my risk/variance. I can pass hands like that: that situation arises because of the nature of the players I am playing against. With better players that doesn't play that way. So that means that I will get plenty of opportunities later to make money at a lower risk...and it did happen. I called on BTN an oraise from one of the aggrofishes with 86o, I hit an 8 on 883 board, monsieur had AQo (and by then had won a big stack). All money went in on the flop. I almost fainted when I saw the turn giving him 1 to a flush, but this time the river decided he liked me more :f_cool:

So I suppose there is two lines to take there after the flop. However, as you all pointed out, pre-flop not raise more was a clear mistake.