Isolation raise from the blinds

• StaringAtGoats
      StaringAtGoats
      Bronze
      Hi everyone,
      I've just started playing NL2 / NL5, with a fairly tight aggressive attitude.
      I found playing isolation raises in position against limpers very effective, raising an additional 1 big blind per limper.
      But what I've had a little difficulty with, is what to do in the Blinds, when a player before me has limped and I have a pretty good hand. Considering I am not in Position against the limper for the rest of the hand, the standard isolation raise doesn't seem to be the correct action.
      Any suggestions?
  • 3 replies
    • Bliausmas
      Bliausmas
      Bronze
      You can't perform an isolation raise from blinds as there nothing to isolate when being oop and acting last or one before last :) Simply raise for value then.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      When you are in the blinds and are considering raising after limpers, you should raise with a tight range, and also make a larger raise than you would make in position. There are many hands I would raise on the button after an unknown limper that I would check in the big blind or complete in the small blind.

Think of the blinds as early position. What hands would you raise in early position if you knew a player was likely to call with position and a half-decent hand? Because of your positional disadvantage, and your alternative of checking, you usually want to be significantly ahead of the limper's range to raise. In position, you might profitably raise with hands which are behind the limper's range.
    • diversfx
      diversfx
      Silver
      Thanks I think that's the best advice I've heard on this subject.I've always preferred to check my big bind unless i'm holding very strong. I've won some monster pots with hands I would never play.