Free poker at college

• tulleh
      tulleh
      Bronze
      You know how it is with Poker with mates with no stake. And given that a lot of them really don't know how to play. Basically, they're calling machines, with the worst hands possible, and are invulnerable to bluffs. But they always outdraw me on the turn/river.

How should I play with people like them? Especially when players get eliminated and it's down to shorthand - normally, I'd play a wider margin of starting hands, but of course, I still regularly get outdrawn because they simply get lucky.
  • 10 replies
    • logitechzen
      logitechzen
      Bronze
      You shold not play more hands, play less, tighten up. When you get a hand then play it straightforward and agressively( I mean when you flop a hand, TPTK for example). That way they have a less of a chance to get lucky on you and they pay you off aswell.
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      propose playing ultradeep (200bb) so you can make moves with implied odds. Just sit back, call, and wait for a monster.
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      For the fun ofc, if it's without friends don't play too tight. Especially with no stakes, it's much more fun to be in a hand than to just sit there waiting all the time.
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      also a good reason to play deepstacked. More odds, more flopplay, more moves.
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      What are you caring about winning when it's with friends for fake money?
    • finchybg
      finchybg
      Bronze
      It's a matter of prestige I guess.

I play with two friends of mine, SNG 3-handed with a chipset(low stakes) and generally it's very fun but one of them really irritates me because he thinks that when you have won a hand, you have played it well, which as everybody here knows is totally wrong. And he thinks he is very good when actually he was the 5:1 underdog when he made a particular call :)

But it's fun. More fun than online :) Seeing your friend's face when you show him full house and the response is "oh my god.. how is it possible.. you're such a lucky bastard" is just priceless :D
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Try losing a straight flush to another one's straight flush...
      Luckily the stakes were lower last year or I'd have lost big :D
    • debelinko
      debelinko
      Bronze
      I don't know how you can play with fake money. At least use some symbolical buy-in, like 1€. It will make a big difference.
    • tulleh
      tulleh
      Bronze
      Of course playing with fake money's a joke! I'd love to put in some sort of stake, it spices the game up and forces (some) players to play more sensibly.
    • joe56x
      joe56x
      Global
      i agree, a couple dollars makes it interesting, but you can still take it easy and play for fun after 2 or 13 drinks. among friends, calling with shit down the board and hitting on the river, crack a smile it's always a good time. if someone else hits, it's still a cheap night with good friends