Beginner help with SSS

• Kodark
      Kodark
      Bronze
      Hiya I'm looking for some pointers, registered to this site about 4 days ago loving it!

Basically i started playing poker a while ago very casually online. But only with fake money on pokerstars. I went from the usual 1000 you get to 300k in a few weeks. Also found myself getting to last 5 in the fake money tourneys.

My only experience with online cash poker before that was a tenner i once dumped into the site and proceeded to feed it to those in need, but that was a long time ago before i even got better at fake money games.

Anyway i found this site and got the $50 and made a new account on FT.

Playing NL5 (the one with the big blind 5 cents)
      First day i was very tight and basically dipped around $48-$52 because i didn't want to throw away the money. There was no strategy to how i played just my own opinion on what was playable cards and what was not. Mostly based off watching pros at WSOP and what hands they play. (probably not a good idea)

Anyway second day I was on my "A" game but still no real strategy managed to get up to $65 was pretty pleased with that and considered myself to now have a "bankroll" for my bankroll.

Third day I saw rush poker in the option of game types to play and thought hey why not more profits right?, boy was i wrong, talk about intense! i lose the $5 in about 40 seconds and put it down to bad luck. I then proceeded to blast another $10 into the general populous of the world.

Was now at break even on fourth day. Started playing my normal game but was titling a bit i guess and wasted another $7

So today I thought I'm going to educate myself and read alot more articles and watched alot more videos and decided to try the SSS.

First hour was a blinding success, i followed the strategy to the T unlike many who claim it does not work likely do not.

I was at $53 and i guess up against another SSS player because i was in MP1 with pocket 9's and raised 4BB, this guy re raises me, i go all in to find he has pocket kings. Bad luck -$2.50.

Usually after a beat like that I would leave the table, not rage or anything but just move to another table, but because I felt so in control with SSS I decided to stay.

next hand that i raise was pocket tens. He is in position behind me and raises. "He probably thinks i fear him now" All in.
      Well he had pocket queens and picks up a full house.

Damn i thought another -$2.50 gone to the same guy.

2 hand later and i have AK he is in position behind me and raises. I go all in to find he has pocket aces. WoW I thought, that is hilarious.

Anyway another -$2.50 gone to him and i decide to leave the table because I don't like him in position behind me.

3 of those beats and some bad flops and then a long dry streak of not playable cards according to SSS had me down to $38

But because I was playing to a strict strategy i thought emotion couldn't affect my play and I could continue.

Managed to grind up to $43.50 and called it a night for now.

But i do have some questions regarding SSS

If all players have folded and the SB is challenging me with a min raise when I am in BB I am usually letting him have it even with hands like K6o. This is because the SSS states that I shouldn't play K6o ever?

SSS also dictates that I fold K10s in any position. This feels wrong. As does folding KQo, also cards like A9 suited or off suite? Also do I never play suited continuation cards?

Also when I am in the Earlier positions and my raise is called to a flop that I miss I guess I am always to bluff with a 2/3 pot bet? Am i just to simply fold if he re raises?

Anyway thanks for reading any pointers would be appreciated.

Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
      Sun Tzu
  • 17 replies
    • Kodark
      Kodark
      Bronze
      Sorry just 1 more question If I am active on FTP do I get to keep my $50 indefinitely? or is there a time line in which if i don't profit from it I lose it.
    • makrelion
      makrelion
      Bronze
      Hi, Kodark

Originally posted by Kodark
      If all players have folded and the SB is challenging me with a min raise when I am in BB I am usually letting him have it even with hands like K6o. This is because the SSS states that I shouldn't play K6o ever?
      Yes, indeed

SSS also dictates that I fold K10s in any position. This feels wrong. As does folding KQo, also cards like A9 suited or off suite? Also do I never play suited continuation cards?
      SSS might look unreasonable at first, however if you keep playing according to it, you will soon realize why such cards like K10 or A9 does not go into your range. Basically, while using SSS, you only enter a pot with premium hands and once you do that, you do that aggressively.
      You play very few hands. Because of that:

1. Your image on the table becomes as tight player's (some might even think that you're a rock). So, when you raise, it's like saying "I have strong hand, people holding trash, don;t mess with me".

2. Your continuation bets are more often successful.

3. Your are able to steal blinds more often. People rarely try to call and/or reraise you, when they know that you probably are ahead.

All in all, SSS is strategy which profits mostly from blind steals/rearaises and showdowns with premium hole cards.

Also when I am in the Earlier positions and my raise is called to a flop that I miss I guess I am always to bluff with a 2/3 pot bet? Am i just to simply fold if he re raises?

It depends on the flop. If you see that flop is in your favour, you should try to c/bet, if not - check/fold. I'm sure, you could find something useful about postflop play in this article: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sss/1375/1/
    • makrelion
      makrelion
      Bronze
      sorry, double post (can't find an option to delete it)
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze

First hour was a blinding success, i followed the strategy to the T unlike many who claim it does not work likely do not.

I was at $53 and i guess up against another SSS player because i was in MP1 with pocket 9's and raised 4BB, this guy re raises me, i go all in to find he has pocket kings. Bad luck -$2.50.

Sun Tzu
      1) Bankroll managment? Read the articles...

2) I played some SSS and I don't remember where it says to go all in with pocket 9's. Plus if you thougt he is playing SSS, what did you think he would reraise you with? Probably nothing worse than your 99.

3) What limit do you play SSS on, so you can buy in for 2,5$? If my math is correct, that is not 20bb for any of the limits on FTP unles they introduced NL12,5... :f_confused: Dont play SSS with more than 20bb buyin! Read MSS articles instead. It is similar, just involves little more postflop game.
    • Kodark
      Kodark
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TiciBoy

Sun Tzu
      1) Bankroll managment? Read the articles...

2) I played some SSS and I don't remember where it says to go all in with pocket 9's. Plus if you thougt he is playing SSS, what did you think he would reraise you with? Probably nothing worse than your 99.

3) What limit do you play SSS on, so you can buy in for 2,5$? If my math is correct, that is not 20bb for any of the limits on FTP unles they introduced NL12,5... :f_confused: Dont play SSS with more than 20bb buyin! Read MSS articles instead. It is similar, just involves little more postflop game.
      Well the articles tell me that i should be playing 0.02/0.04 blinds but FTP has 0.01/0.02 and 0.02/0.05 so i am playing the latter seems fine no?

I always buy in for $2 as stated in the strategy and usually have 1.80 to 2.20 from blind steals/ dry runs by the time im ready to go showdown with someone. All three times i was on the upper amount against this guy. Strategy states to leave once you break 2.50.

You are right about him playing SSS and me shoving with the worst hand in the strategy but i never claimed to be phil ivy. The strategy does say you should shove/bet 2/3 pot in late position if noone has called with pocket 9's. I think it says fold them if someone raises after you however, obviously i made a mistake there. And with the 10's i guess. The ace king was the correct play however.
    • makrelion
      makrelion
      Bronze
      You seem to misunderstand something. You buy in into game with 20BB. It means, that if you play NL5, you buy in for 1$, not 2$. As far as I know, it is impossible at FullTilt.
      So, in other words, you can't play with SSS at FullTilt.

Buy in examples you are giving reminds me of MSS, are you sure you are playing SSS not MSS?
    • Kodark
      Kodark
      Bronze
      I think its SSS, at least that's the articles i been reading. The example definitely showed a buy in of $2 and said top up once you go down to 1.50 or leave once above 2.50.

**Edit** ahh this is for NL10cent**

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sss/1373/1/

The table in the article shows that, but is also for playing at 0.05/0.10 instead of 0.02/0.05 lowest buyin for my NL is 1.50 i believe. Can i still play SSS with this buy in?

Will such small changes really make SSS not work? All i want is to build a slow but steady safe bankroll while i get more experience.

It seems FT have tried to remove SSS as being viable with these buyins no? seems a little lame but if they had everyone playing it makes sense.

Is MSS as viable as SSS for a safe noobie to build his bankroll? I can spend tonight learning and trying it out if so.
    • makrelion
      makrelion
      Bronze
      I think its SSS, at least that's the articles i been reading. The example definitely showed a buy in of $2 and said top up once you go down to 1.50 or leave once above 2.50.

**Edit** ahh this is for NL10cent**

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sss/1373/1/

The table in the article shows that, but is also for playing at 0.05/0.10 instead of 0.02/0.05 lowest buyin for my NL is 1.50 i believe. Can i still play SSS with this buy in?

Will such small changes really make SSS not work? All i want is to build a slow but steady safe bankroll while i get more experience.

It seems FT have tried to remove SSS as being viable with these buyins no? seems a little lame but if they had everyone playing it makes sense.

Is MSS as viable as SSS for a safe noobie to build his bankroll? I can spend tonight learning and trying it out if so.
      I don't know exact calculations, however it is not profitable to play SSS if you cant enter with 20bb.

I suggest you trying out MSS. This strategy is similar to SSS, easy to learn and with it you'll be able to play at FullTilt.
    • Kodark
      Kodark
      Bronze
      OK I appreciate your help i will do some reading and give it a whirl tonight. Was playing 4 tables last night will just stick with 1 maybe 2 tonight after I have had some edumication and let you know how i get on.
    • Kodark
      Kodark
      Bronze
      Something i noticed the coaching session i just missed for FTP was SSS in the bracket i play in so how are they teaching SSS if the buyin doesn't actually allow it?
    • Kodark
      Kodark
      Bronze
      1 more question I have is when do I move down a limit if I have been losing money.

I am at $43.50 now and still playing 0.02-0.05 is this safe? So I only move down to 0.01/0.02 when I hit $25 or should I do this sooner?
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      You play MSS now? Just look at the chart provided in the first MSS article. ;)
    • Kodark
      Kodark
      Bronze
      i looked and you should have 25 buy ins for these stakes

so $50 for NL5
      and $25 for NL2

what i cant figure out is if the cutoff is below or above it.

Case in point it recommends you start at NL5 with your $50 but by the first hand you are already going to be at $49.95.

So would you only slip down to NL2 at $25 or immediately after that table if you did not profit?
      That's what I cant work out.

I guess I will continue to play NL5 until i hit about $30 if that happens I will drop to NL2

Maybe that's the best?
    • psiborg
      psiborg
      Bronze
      You can actually play SSS on FTP, just select the shallow tables.
    • Kodark
      Kodark
      Bronze
      Just had 2 hours of playing MSS for the first time in full ring FTP.

Much prefer this strategy to SSS, its much more involved and takes advantage of position much better which is good for learning.

Managed to make 3.5 BI's so I'm back up to $50 from $43.5.

As I'm much more active on the board because of the increased amount of hands I can play people are calling my raises and folding to the continuation bets a lot more often even when i don't have the nuts.

SSS had me playing as such a rock that I would only end up going on showdown vs idiots about every 40 mins.

So ye happy with this start just wish i had gold access to view the other videos and articles on it.
    • Kodark
      Kodark
      Bronze

How does this look, its over 700 hands.

Usually I'm getting to flop with something decent ofc. weather I hit or miss if i am in position behind my opponent and he checks I raise and if I hit I raise, only slowplaying with an unbeatable hand regardless of turn/river. Therefore flop aggression is very high is this normal?
    • HannesZ
      HannesZ
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Samplesize with 700 hands is not that big. However it indicates something already.

Flop aggression is very high. Sure, you play just the top hands preflop which are usually also very good postflop, but usually you do not contibet every flop.

So post some hands, where you didn't hit the board in our
      Hand Evaluations SSS up to 0.10-board. Maybe you can play those hands differently. However VPIP and PFR look quite good.

Cheers,
      Hannes