[NL2-NL10] NL2 AA from BB (new guy)

• M1rCea
      Hi guys, I'm new here, and have been playing poker for money only for a week now. I know the basic rules, read some theory from your site and others, though I'm not really familiar with all the terminologies.

I'm posting a hand here and would be grateful for your opinions on it

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      BB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, A.
      MP1 folds, MP2 raises to $0.08, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.17) 6, 7, K (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.17, Hero raises to $0.40, MP2 raises to $1.37, Hero calls $0.32.

Turn: ($2.26) 4 (2 players)

River: ($2.26) T (2 players)

Final Pot: $2.26.

Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of aces(As Ad).
      MP2 shows three of a kind, sevens(7h 7d).

MP2 wins with three of a kind, sevens(7h 7d).

Ok so the thing is i was BB. I got AA.
      I saw there was only one raise before me and everyone else folded.

Ok now. I know that according to the 'rules', I should have raised 3x his raise. The thing is, i observed that when I raise 4xBB or even reraise 3x accordingly with a strong hand preflop, people very rarely call. So hands like AA, KK, QQ go to waste when I could have made some money with them.
      I have gotten more results playing them passive(right word?), just calling preflop and then being agressive postflop, maybe not too agressive if i'm sure i have the best hand.

So in this case, I only called his raise for fear that he might fold if i reraised 3x. And thought "Hey, I have AA, which is very rarely beaten." I call. I see the flop 6 7 K. He bets so I assume he has KK with high kicker.

So then I guess he thinks he has highest pair on the table and he probably doesn't think i could have something higher (AA). I raise, he reraises, i'm allin.

That's about it. Any thoughts on this hand are very appreciated

• 5 replies
    • AjoPP1
      You don't want to play your AA passively because of several things: especially at the micros it's crucial to get in as much money as possible preflop, because people will easily stack off with many weaker aces, weaker pairs etc etc.... On top of that, you don't want to play them passively preflop and play a family pot and get stacked by some trash hitting two pair and such. By 3betting PF you also get some info about villain's hand and you get initiative in the hand which is crucial. AA is also the only hand with which going ALL-IN preflop is always +EV in cash games. Playing AA passively is definitely a leak, the only reason for this could be a hyper aggro opponent. =)
    • M1rCea
      Lesson learned, i'm playing AA agressive preflop from now on.

So if I would have reraised preflop do u think he would have folded? Cause if not, after the flop I guess the situation would have been the same. Cheers
    • AjoPP1
      There's a big chance he would have folded because people are generally nittier in FR when it comes to 3bets, unless they are really loose. I'd definately raise to at least 4x his bet and be happy to take down the pot if he folded. Better to play AA safely and win a smaller pot than get stacked by a weak PP hitting set on the flop as was your case. By 3-betting preflop you give him bad odds to set mine and he is forced to fold all weaker pairs. And by just calling you can't narrow opponent's range, so most of the time you don't know where you stand at on the flop.
    • M1rCea
      thank you for your answers, i find them useful
    • veriz
      Hello M1rCea,

And welcome to the forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future, so we will be able to help you fix your leaks and as well help move up the limits. Will be waiting for next hands and till that good luck on tables!

First of all I'd like to mention that if you playing BSS then rather add to full stack which means 100 BB. But as played then definitely raise it preflop ~$0,28.

But as played postflop I'd say not much to do with your stack, I'd also go broke there.

Best regards.