Lady Gaga...

• hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      So her new album and single have been released amid lots of hype, most of it coming from her. Now, I am not a fan of her music. In fact, when my wife and I are doing something inane, stupid or trivial, we say that we are "doing a Lady Gaga".

With this in mind, I was home from work today because I was sick so I decided to watch the video. I have to say, the song combined with the video is truly a piece of art. If you watch this free of bias and take it holistically, I don't think you can deny that she has real artistic vision. Visually, the video (and the grammy performance) is stunning.

No, I am not smoking crack!

And her performance at the grammys has to be one of the greatest pop performances in the history of that show if you allow yourself to take it for what it is, performance art.

No, I am not inhaling paint thinner!

Now, I know that Lady Gaga = Troll Candy = Gasoline for Flaming...

... But I have to say that she does appear to be much more than a capitalist who happens to be a "musician" (Madonna, Britney etc). She seems like the real deal... A pop star with real talent and substance underneath the seeming superficiality.

*Bracing myself for the tornado of sarcasm to follow*

:f_p:
  • 26 replies
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      wtf am i watching? it looks something like a late abortion and then the standard female artist dressing like a slut for the other part.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Is that the gayparade at the grammy's?
    • miakes
      miakes
      Bronze
      I think she's great just because she is special :)

pa pa pa pokah faceeeee
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by miakes
      I think she's great just because she is special :)

pa pa pa pokah faceeeee
      my dog is also special.
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      Anyone ever tried to say Lady Gaga wasn't an artist???
      Her song writing skills are amazing and she's "Special" as a singer..

But she is signed to one of the biggest music labels in the world... Interscope if I recall correctly.. And obviously that has a lot of affect to her as an artist.. In todays music it's always a battle between the artistry and the commercial aspect of music..

She's also one of the first breed of huge artist that have had to sell an image rather than just selling singles... Her "gimmick" has gotten her a really loyal fanbase (Music buisness used to be all about getting a hot single.. that is slowly changing now ) so in the future I'm sure we'll see her do less commercial stuff and go her own road..

with that said I'm everything but a Gaga fan.. not really into her music although I think the new single is nice...

I'm much more interested to see what Skylar Grey/Holly Brook does in 2011... in 2010 I said it would be a huge year for her.. and she's now on two songs on the top10 billboard list...
      And tbh she's what I refer to as a real artist :)
      Also be on the lookout for J. Cole.. He's signed to rockafella records and has a great artistic control over his career.. So he's def the rapper to be on the lookout in mainstream music in 2011 if your into that type of stuff :)
    • randomdonk
      randomdonk
      Bronze
      was expecting bullshit but that was actually pretty good, ty for sharing
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hlynkinn

LOL. cmon now guys.. surely you guys are trolling me ?

Standard catchy pop song. the message: "Your beautiful the way you are. love yourself and be yourself."
      yeah.. that's amazingly original. No one has ever made a song with that message /sarcasm

I don't like her at all. even when i try to listen objectively.. she's just another 13 in a dozen pop singer. nothing that sets her apart exept for making weird videoclips for no reason.
    • CryoGenic
      CryoGenic
      Bronze
      Yeah...the single is nice.. seems like a change but I may be wrong..but..

And her performance at the grammys has to be one of the greatest pop performances in the history of that show if you allow yourself to take it for what it is, performance art.

Imo .. I don't think so...it's just above avarage..
    • fembot26
      fembot26
      Bronze
      This is the first and only Lady Gaga song I've heard so far, so I'm reserving final judgment, but the song (apart from what sound like Leftfield influences - or samples?) seems like it could have been written by Madonna and her co-writers circa 1988 - which means it's pretty good, but not particularly surprising or innovative. I certainly don't think 'Born This Way' is on the same musical level as 'Radio Ga Ga', which she claims as one of her influences. The video is interesting.

For gay-icon pop, give me The Petshop Boys any day.
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      Is that the gayparade at the grammy's?

The whole gay backstory to this song is interesting because if there is any flaw with the way the package (music +video) is presented, it is that it does not wholly encompass the gay community imo.

While it is very obvious that the gay male community is represented in the package, the lesbian community is lacking. Lady Gaga has said in interviews that she thinks this song will be played at gay pride events for 100 years, but I don't think lesbians see themselves represented in the song or the video. There are a lot of gay male symbols in the video and lyrics, and there are a lot of gender reversals as well, but there is nothing specifically lesbian.

the standard female artist dressing like a slut for the other part

I think by today's standards, she is certainly not THAT "slutty" in the "dance" parts of the video. And I don't think that "slut" was what she was going for because the dancing was not graphically sexual. Compare this to Christina Aguilera's "Dirty" or the Britney Spears "chair dance". It is a song about sexuality that is not graphically sexual. And to be honest, her outfit in the "dance" part of the video looked like standard dancer attire imo.

Standard catchy pop song. the message: "Your beautiful the way you are. love yourself and be yourself." yeah.. that's amazingly original. No one has ever made a song with that message /sarcasm

My wife brought up an interesting point when we talked about it. She pointed out that Lady Gaga did look skinny in the "dance" part of the video. Now, Lady Gaga made a choice to present herself that way, with her flat stomach showing, usually highlighted in the centre of the screen and illuminated more brightly than the rest of her body (watch closely!). My wife says that if she really wanted this song to be about loving yourself, as a female she would have sent a better message if her skinny figure was not so front and centre. An overweight woman will still feel terrible about herself after watching this video.

But I don't think you can criticize art for what it isn't. Did Lady Gaga intend the song/video package to be about body image? If that was not her intention then she cannot be faulted for presenting a "perfect" female image that is skinny.

but the song (apart from what sound like Leftfield influences - or samples?) seems like it could have been written by Madonna and her co-writers

The other big story around this song is how it sounds like "Express Yourself" by Madonna. I am a music nut and I appreciate originality but to fault a "pop" song for sounding like another "pop" song is misguided imho. "Pop" music by definition is mainstream taste. It has to appeal to the widest group of people. The wider the scope, the fewer options are available. There is a reason why almost no one listens to Diamanda Galas (a truly exceptional, once in a lifetime musical talent). Diamanda Galas cannot appeal to a wide audience because the musical offering is so idiosyncratic. The more experimentation, the less it appeals to a wide audience. For "pop" music to be "pop" music, it has to follow the blueprint.

Also, in this day and age, the "postmodern" ethic is a part of our everyday life. So much so that we don't even notice it...

- photoshop
      - cut and paste computer applications
      - music samples (electronic and rap music)
      - movies that borrow from other movies within the movie

The whole postmodern mindset does away with the importance of originality because true originality cannot exist because one can always find an influence somewhere in the creative process. That is why people are working so hard to keep that uncontacted tribe of aboriginals in the Amazon away from all contact with our world, to preserve the last "pure" early humanity.

If this is our world, one cannot blame a piece of art created today for acknowledging its artistic lineage and creative influences!

• ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz

Standard catchy pop song. the message: "Your beautiful the way you are. love yourself and be yourself."
      yeah.. that's amazingly original. No one has ever made a song with that message /sarcasm

I don't like her at all. even when i try to listen objectively.. she's just another 13 in a dozen pop singer. nothing that sets her apart exept for making weird videoclips for no reason.
      Funny how i can manage to disagree with every single post you make, and then open this thread just to add another one to the list
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ihufa
      Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz

Funny how i can manage to disagree with every single post you make, and then open this thread just to add another one to the list

/i care

you never disagree even once. You just troll forums and give advice 1 out of a 100 times and even then people aren't sure if your trolling or not. Your opinion is worthless to me till you actualy contribute anything. I respect you as poker player and that's it. Also that's a very pathetic comment to make. Not to mention. it's cowardly since i can't recall the last time you even said you disagreed.

bring arguements.. a song with this message has probably been made a hundred times atleast. The way it's made is nothing special either. made like a standard catchy pop song. I don't really see why this is such an amazing or even good song. Imo it's just bad.
    • Huseens
      Huseens
      Bronze
      HEY HEY! DONT TOUCH IHUFA, MAN!
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Huseens
      HEY HEY! DONT TOUCH IHUFA, MAN!
      +1

Only we can touch him!

gently
    • joecar
      joecar
      Silver
      I'm eagerly awaiting britney spears comeback
    • fembot26
      fembot26
      Bronze
      Thanks hackbinder, you make some good points, and the two videos were interesting to see (although I admit I don't understand the music!).
    • TightTizzle
      TightTizzle
      Basic
      latest album is the sh*yyt (good)
    • TightTizzle
      TightTizzle
      Basic
      double post, love internet
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Lady Gaga actually made me ashamed of being a poker player. Pop music was always the trash basket of all genres, but Gaga has taken it to a brand new level. Every new song she makes has even dumber lyrics than the previous ones. In my eyes she's nothing more than an attention whore desperately trying to stay in the spotlights by entangling herself in as much controversy as humanly possible. I mean, look at how she dresses. Every single one of her outfits relies solely on shock value, it's only presented because people haven't seen it before, and it only works for as long as the wow-effect lasts.

There's a mile long rant in my head that I'm eager to vocalize (or rather silently type), but I'll stop just short of boring you and conclude with the last nail she hammered in the coffin of my respect for her. In an interview she said she really believes she has two hearts, and I sincerely hope for the sake of her mental health that was a metaphor for what follows. She literally believes she has two souls, one of which belongs to her dead aunt and now continues living inside of her body...